Default This weeks DC sale on Comixology

Yes..know there's one every week...but think this weeks is best one for ages, featuring a ton of "vintage" old issues.

For the first time for months am going to buy some stuff:-

1/ The first solo Hawkman series, and some of the early Brave and Bold Hawkman stories...always been a favourite character, and this is a good opportunity to read material I've always wanted to read.

2/ The Superman Kryptonite Nevermore issues...a good opportunity to read some Dennis O'Neil material never read before, I'll be having a drink to his memory when I read this.

3/Power of the Atom, and some early Brave and the Bold Suicide Squad issues. Always tend to re-read John Ostrander Suicide Squad in winter, and always like to read some related material not read before at same time...so this will be really appreciated.

Anybody else tempted by anything in the sale?

As soon as i saw that old school banner i was celebrating like "Yes! Finally!!"
    After that also great Space centered sale from last week, they have outdone themselves with this one. The main attraction is the large variety of titles, much better than focusing in one character or group only.
    Got some New Teen Titans, Tamaran and Trigon storylines. Various late 70s-early 80s Batman and Detective, appearances from Ra's Al Ghul and Manbat, great stuff! It's funny how pretty much every issue from this era seems interesting and makes you want to read them.

It's also a great opportunity to get to know some lesser known characters. Like Adam Strange, Doctor Fate, The Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Shinning Knight, Dr. Midnight, Hourman.... and get their appearances in DC Comics Presents, Brave and Bold, All Star Squadron
    Last edited by the COMET; 07-02-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Are the Companion essential to CoIE ? I never read it (shocking, I know) and it's currently on sales so... If they aren't essential I'll buy it on Comixology instead of the far pricer paper version...

Quote Originally Posted by the COMET View Post
    As soon as i saw that old school banner i was celebrating like "Yes! Finally!!"
    After that also great Space centered sale from last week, they have outdone themselves with this one. The main attraction is the large variety of titles, much better than focusing in one character or group only.
    Got some New Teen Titans, Tamaran and Trigon storylines. Various late 70s-early 80s Batman and Detective, appearances from Ra's Al Ghul and Manbat, great stuff! It's funny how pretty much every issue from this era seems interesting and makes you want to read them.

It's also a great opportunity to get to know some lesser known characters. Like Adam Strange, Doctor Fate, The Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Shinning Knight, Dr. Midnight, Hourman.... and get their appearances in DC Comics Presents, Brave and Bold, All Star Squadron
    That’s exactly how I felt.

Especially agree about opportunity to read some of the lesser known characters. When I started reading DC comics again after a long, long break I decided to look for series featuring C or D list characters that ran for 20 or more issues...on theory that any series with a lesser lead that doesn’t bomb after a few issues must be well written and drawn.

It has more validity than most of my theories. In this regard...if you’re interested in getting a solid series with a minor lead...all the John Ostrander Manhunter issues are in the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Are the Companion essential to CoIE ? I never read it (shocking, I know) and it's currently on sales so... If they aren't essential I'll buy it on Comixology instead of the far pricer paper version...

I don’t think they are essential.

But I’m biased so probably best to seek wider opinion...my feeling is that all you need to know was explained by Alan Moore in his wonderful Swamp Thing run...once there were mutiple worlds which amalgamated to form one. (No idea where we’ve got to now...reading recent comics isn’t a strong point for me.)