Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I have always separated the art from the artist.
    I will never give away/destroy art that 1: I paid a lot of money for and 2: I still enjoy. Besides doing so...after the fact...does not serve any true purpose, not that I can see.

It's your collection, do as you wish and do that which will bring you peace of mind.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That can turn into a real “he said, she said” situation real quick if there’s no proof.
    idk I think its irresponsible for someone in a clear position of power to disregard or ignore that power when making advances . considering most allegations I've seen are coming from then up-and-comers who were directly approached I think it would be naive to assume he had no clue

I know its weird to think of comic book writers as "people w/ power" because like you said they aren't rock stars. in terms of cultural or political influence they aren't necessarily powerful but they were still visible members of the industry that those they made these advances towards were clearly trying to break into - the dynamic isn't equal

Agreed. If you are in a position of power — or even just successful in a field — and you are making advances to someone also in that field or aspiring to be, you are not only doing something wrong but you’re also an idiot. While it might not have had consequences in the past, it does today. Just look at the number of people in Hollywood getting hammered right now for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    What does “being groomed” mean? That he tried to use his position to hit on them? If so, how so? Was he their direct boss or just a powerful figure in the industry? Did he retaliate in any way when they rejected him? Did he physically assault them? Verbally?

There are degrees to this ****, and those degrees are important. Or at least they should be. They certainly are in a courtroom, if not in the court of public opinion. I’m honestly asking because I don’t know the extent of what he did, and the article linked to above makes it sounds like he hit on a couple of female creators and was promptly rebuffed by them. Did he hurt their careers somehow?

EDIT — I missed the sexual harassment complaint at the bottom of the article. Clearly understand what that is. But not what “being groomed” is. I’m assuming it means he’s trying to take a female creator under his wing to get them in bed?
    With Ellis some of the girls were under age at the time so just hitting on them really isn’t a defense.

Not defending. Just didn’t know what it meant. And hitting on underage girls is gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    thats probably why im taking his excalibur run and giving it away, only keeping the claremont/davis runs from the late 80s early 90s. im still conflicted with his thunderbolts which i enjoyed alot and Nextwave
    In retrospect, seeing that he created a self insert to sleep with Kitty, who she came of age precisely in order to do so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That can turn into a real “he said, she said” situation real quick if there’s no proof.
    They have copies of the emails he sent he’s pretty well screwed with this and should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Not defending. Just didn’t know what it meant. And hitting on underage girls is gross.
    I know my man just sharing info to give you the whole picture.

I always thought Lobdell was an idiot, so this isn't exactly surprising. But Ellis? I mean, yeah, looking at his Kitty/Wisdom arc from Excalibur should have been enough, but that sucks.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

im wondering how since Lobdell had such a major impact on X-MEN post-Claremont, pre-Morrison. and a lesser extend Ellis, wondering how this affect X-MEN fandom especially those who were into the comics, athough like so many, i got into the comics due to the 1992 animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Am i understanding correctly... are you removing the work of these writers from your boxes? If so, what exactly will that do? Meaning you already spent the money on the books and the writers already receive payment for the services. What do you gain from this and what do they lose from this?
    Very solid questions. It's ultimately up to the collector to decide what those works mean to them.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

It's kind of like with Bill Cosby, can one separate his comedy from his actions. I remember that Seinfeld got some flak for saying that he could, that he could still laugh at his jokes and such despite what he had done and all...

I'm sorry to bring out a touchy subject with this and how Ellis and Especially Lobdell who written so much of 90s X-men, what should be done with his work. I just got done separated Ellis Excalibur but man i have longbox filled with Lodbell work and his hardcover and omnibuses. Atleast i still have Fabian's work. its very conflicting I know i should separate the work from the author but man, Lobdell athough his writing is has been hit and miss and I did enjoy majority of his x-men especially the issues with Joe Mad art which helped alot. I dont know. what should we do with it. and will future x-writers used their created character and such. I know Ellis Wisdom is even more problematic due to his relationship with Kitty and fans here say it should be time to retired the character. Well its very conflicting, I figure it would be a subject of discussion with fellow X-fans.
    In my opinion from reading your words, it seems to me that you're more conflicted about what you're *supposed* to do. Otherwise you would have gotten rid of them already. But if you're on the fence, I say keep them until you aren't.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    In my opinion from reading your words, it seems to me that you're more conflicted about what you're *supposed* to do. Otherwise you would have gotten rid of them already. But if you're on the fence, I say keep them until you aren't.
    pretty true, i got rid of warren ellis excalibur since it only a 2 half year run compare to nearly decade of lobdell x-men, not mention lobdell stories are hit miss and to be honest, im more attached to the team look and Joe Mad's artwork, and yes I love the x-men franchise more than Lobdell written issues. Fabian's X-force and adjectliveless x-men run(which also for the most part, connected to lobdell uncanny before Fabian leaving late 95), the 90s video games(especially by Capcom) and the animated series of course.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

im wondering how since Lobdell had such a major impact on X-MEN post-Claremont, pre-Morrison. and a lesser extend Ellis, wondering how this affect X-MEN fandom especially those who were into the comics, athough like so many, i got into the comics due to the 1992 animated series.
    It doesn't affect me at all.

I really haven't bought any new/recent work by Ellis as he's not a favourite of mine, though I do love some of his early books. (I did buy the Exogenetic trade last year because I loaned the originals to a friend and never got them back.) And absolutely nothing by Lobdell since his Generation X.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!