Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Scott Lobdell allegations

With him announcing he'd be departing RHATO with issue #50 new allegations have surfaced.

Artist Tess Fowler:

https://twitter.com/TessFowler/statu...87951549411328

Writer Alex De Campi had a few tweets but the below stood out to me:

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/stat...91285043851264

Writer Sina Grace:

https://twitter.com/SinaGrace/status...16375420678146

Not that surprising given what happened in 2013 where he harassed a fellow creator during a pane

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    With him announcing he'd be departing RHATO with issue #50 new allegations have surfaced.

Artist Tess Fowler:

https://twitter.com/TessFowler/statu...87951549411328

Writer Alex De Campi had a few tweets but the below stood out to me:

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/stat...91285043851264

Writer Sina Grace:

https://twitter.com/SinaGrace/status...16375420678146

Not that surprising given what happened in 2013 where he harassed a fellow creator during a pane
    damn thats unfortunate wonder whats going to happen to Red Hood character now?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    He's going to be written by other writer.

I wasn't going to post here, because this is serious stuff that the right people who know what they're doing are going to look at and work with, most probably (this means: I like to not throw opinions on serious stuff I have not enough info about). But I don't get what Lobdell being accused of this stuff has to do with Jason as a character. It's not even created by him, and there are other writers who would LOVE to write stories for Jason. And people know that.

Edit: well, whatever. I guess I have to be afraid that this is a bad thing for Jason to some degree. I don't know.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 06-30-2020 at 11:16 AM.

while I absolutely love his Red Hood work, and I will miss the series under his lead, I don't love it enough to excuse his behavior or miss him when he's gone. I can separate his art and artist, which is why Red Hood and Outlaws is on my list of books in my chest of "Booty".
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-06-2020 at 02:17 AM. Reason: booty in the "aaarrrggh" sense
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Jason will be fine - that's almost the sad thing with the whole event : Lobdell did such a fine job with this character - especially since the start of Rebirth that I'm afraid of seeing him leave the book in spite of those accusations - which are extremely severe and if it's true this behavior is undefensible and unacceptable.

But, really, Red Hood will be fine. Lobdell defined his corner well enough that sooner or later, new writers will return to it, if only because fans will be demanding it if the new direction doesn't satisfy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    He's going to be written by other writer.

I wasn't going to post here, because this is serious stuff that the right people who know what they're doing are going to look at and work with, most probably (this means: I like to not throw opinions on serious stuff I have not enough info about). But I don't get what Lobdell being accused of this stuff has to do with Jason as a character. It's not even created by him, and there are other writers who would LOVE to write stories for Jason. And people know that.

Edit: well, whatever. I guess I have to be afraid that this is a bad thing for Jason to some degree. I don't know.
    I think the fear is that this will become a John Stewart/Gerard Jones where we have a writer who genuinely wrote a interesting and/or compelling run for the character that ends up swept under the rug due to the terrible actions and allegations associated with the name. Although Jason has a lot more going for him (good or ill implications of what they are aside) than John did with Jones; so I'm not too worried on that front.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-30-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

We knew this, DC knew this, and their stance is clear when it comes to Lobdell. It still makes me chuckle the we’re gonna partner him up with Esquivel till his allegations came out.

The sad thing is that everyone knew this already and still let him continue on Red Hood for almost a decade.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-05-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think the fear is that this will become a John Stewart/Gerard Jones where we have a writer who genuinely wrote a interesting and/or compelling run for the character that ends up swept under the rug due to the terrible actions and allegations associated with the name. Although Jason has a lot more going for him (good or ill implications of what they aside) than John did with Jones; so I'm not too worried on that front.
    Yeah. That's why I edited my message on a second thought. But still, as you pointed out, even when some people can't separate work from person, Jason had plenty of others writing him. Even under the same kind of characterisation Lobdell worked for years, giving him a solid shape. Even before Lobdell. Take it Countdown for example. I know people disliked that book, not without reason; but Jason there felt alright.

I don't know how this is going to end. But I hope you're right any way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    We knew this, DC knew this, and their stance is clear when it comes to Lobdell. It still makes me chuckle the we’re gonna partner him up with Esquivel till his allegations came out.
    Yeah, I felt like these allegations came out around the time people were reporting on Berganza, but it feels like DC can't avoid it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Jason will be fine - that's almost the sad thing with the whole event : Lobdell did such a fine job with this character - especially since the start of Rebirth that I'm afraid of seeing him leave the book in spite of those accusations - which are extremely severe and if it's true this behavior is undefensible and unacceptable.

But, really, Red Hood will be fine. Lobdell defined his corner well enough that sooner or later, new writers will return to it, if only because fans will be demanding it if the new direction doesn't satisfy them.
    He already left the book. #50 is his last one.
    Also, accusations of him and his behavior are not something new, people knew about this for years.
    Last edited by Drako; 06-30-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Damn, he did to Tim, Con, Bart, and Cassie the same thing he's been doing to these ladies!
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Damn, he did to Tim, Con, Bart, and Cassie the same thing he's been doing to these ladies!
    Oh, and don't forget this was the guy who was gonna turn Ric into the next Oracle.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    ...That’s in poor taste.

I *will* say that I find these more of an indictment of DC editorial than anything else - it’s yet more evidence that being willing to immediately follow editorial decrees was valued too highly as an asset a writer has under DC.

The number of books and characters he was given jurisdiction over while other (Sometimes better) artists were leaving is sub-optimal... but being retained when he’s a liability towards female staff makes it bad, to some extent.

“George’s Perez wants some clear answers on Superman’s continuity? Nah, we can afford to lose him. Williams and Blackman are upset we cancelled their planned wedding for Batwoman late in the game and left? Eh, we can deal with that. Eddie Berganza is driving women away from the Superman office? Can we still keep him? No, people aren’t letting it go? ...okay, if that’ll stop some complaints. The Batgirl writer wants to be present for Bat-book summits? Ha! No! And PS, can we keep Scott Lobdell around, even if he’s basically a lesser version of Berganza? I know it’s an issue, but I say ‘Jump!’ And he says ‘How high?’ and I think we need more of that.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Lobdell isn't Brubaker/Rucka/Bendis/Lemire/Simone level. Anyone making DC less mediocre by leaving... don't let the door hit you on the way out. Especially after preying on your co-workers

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I will paraphrase John Stuart Mill...
    “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men and women should look on and do and say nothing.”
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!