Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Rumour: Superman to Lead The Authority in 2021?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...uthority-2021/

Just to be clear, this is another Rich Johnston rumour mill piece so please take with a generous serving of salt and try not to spit out what you're drinking whilst you're reading this. But according to the latest in Bleeding Cool's 'Is it clickbait or is it real' series, Superman may be leading a new incarnation of The Authority in 2021 as his next major status quo.

superman-authority.jpg

Image taken from Bleeding Cool's article

I don't even know where to start if this rumour is true. Superman leading The Authority sounds fundamentally wrong when you say it. Clark leading a group of heroes that were originally created to essentially criticise his morality and code of ethics would be a failure.

Edit: Hell one of the most famous Superman stories "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice & The American Way" is a criticism of superheroes like The Authority using any means to defeat criminals and abusing their power without considering the consequences. Superman leading The Authority is as fundamentally opposed to his character as Gahndi supporting the British colonisation of India.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 06-30-2020 at 10:50 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Actually, gandhi had no problems with the British per say.Anyways,i find it interesting. Why? This superman needs to work away from his bubble. This seems really different. Him having to work with his ideological opposition without judgement or losing his own conviction is just the kind of thing i would want to read.

Maybe he takes the lead to teach them another way besides the way they are used too

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I don't know how this would work.

EDIT: The only one who could at least try to make it work, would be Warren Ellis. But I don't see DC giving him a title after the accusasions.
    Last edited by Man_of_Tomorrow; 06-30-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Maybe he takes the lead to teach them another way besides the way they are used too
    If thats the case, then you will end up with Superman fans, commenting on how they hate preachy Superman and Authority fans saying this is a diservise to their favorite characters.The whole appeal of the Authority is that they don't answer to anyone. They get the job done efficiently and involve themselves in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...uthority-2021/

Just to be clear, this is another Rich Johnston rumour mill piece so please take with a generous serving of salt and try not to spit out what you're drinking whilst you're reading this. But according to the latest in Bleeding Cool's 'Is it clickbait or is it real' series, Superman may be leading a new incarnation of The Authority in 2021 as his next major status quo.

superman-authority.jpg

Image taken from Bleeding Cool's article

I don't even know where to start if this rumour is true. Superman leading The Authority sounds fundamentally wrong when you say it. Clark leading a group of heroes that were originally created to essentially criticise his morality and code of ethics would be a failure.

Edit: Hell one of the most famous Superman stories "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice & The American Way" is a criticism of superheroes like The Authority using any means to defeat criminals and abusing their power without considering the consequences. Superman leading The Authority is as fundamentally opposed to his character as Gahndi supporting the British colonisation of India.
    Should have guessed Lee being the big man now would lead to another go at Wildstorm in the main earth.
    I know next to nothing about the Authority though.

Is this what Ellis was going to be doing for a DC Digital series/5G thing?

It'd just be weird for them to randomly bring the Authority back into the main DCU and then just throw Superman into the group unless you're dramatically altering something.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I don't know how this would work.

EDIT: The only one who could at least try to make it work, would be Warren Ellis. But I don't see DC giving him a title after the accusasions.
    Yes Ellis would be the man for the job, maybe John Ridley could make it too.

I believe that DC will wait for Shankar Animation and Netflix cue on this, if the production team and cast acept Ellis, Netflix will very likely keep him on board and if they do this DC will follow for sure.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    If thats the case, then you will end up with Superman fans, commenting on how they hate preachy Superman and Authority fans saying this is a diservise to their favorite characters.The whole appeal of the Authority is that they don't answer to anyone. They get the job done efficiently and involve themselves in politics.
    That's what i love about this. Two set of guys who Disagree fundamentally working together. They would have to agree to disagree and but heads.

Lord, and people said the New 52 tried to make Superman too "cool".

(Snark appropriately filed in the "only if true" bin)
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I can't really think of a reaction more appropriate than this:

Like...it's different but...a fresh idea isn't automatically a good one (as DC has proven, time and time again). Really hoping this stays a rumor. Because I don't really see this working without Clark compromising his own morals or watering down the Authority to better align with them.

I never read The Authority, but I know more or less what their thing is, and yes, doesn't really fit Superman, but could work. What I like the most about this idea, is that we could finally see Superman on a team book where he doesn't have to defer for Lord Batman.

If this happens, it may not even be the version of The Authoroty fans are familiar with, but a new team with the same name.

I'd find strange to have Superman in the Authority proper. But wouldn't he be possible for him, as representative of Earth on the United Planets, to end with a team of Authority-like figures ? Bendis is already seeding a conflict with the authorities of Earth and the UP in Superman, at least in my eyes. It could lead to a fall down forcing him into such a position.

But it'd be hard to propose and to sustain IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    If this happens, it may not even be the version of The Authoroty fans are familiar with, but a new team with the same name.
    Which would really only beg the question: Why? Wouldn't it be just as easy to make a whole new team then, complete with a new name? (especially since Superman on a team called "The Authority" gives off MAJOR Injustice vibes)

Like...is this just a brand recognition thing? "We got a bunch of characters to be on a team with Superman but we don't have a name...people liked the Authority right? Let's call them that!"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

"How do we make Superman cool in 2020"
    "Undermine him?"
    "You mad, beautiful bastard."

I expect four variants an issue and delays by issue 3.

Please no. I'm so tired of ironic Superman pitches. Can we just play the IP straight and stop apologizing for him? He's plenty cool as is, just stop being ashamed of him.