Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Toy man: What is your favorite version.

I Still think the Toyman in the animated series Is the best one visually. The Jester version never really worked for me . A lot of the more modern ones either don’t look menacing enough or aren’t memorable.

Extraordinary Member

STAS version by a mile. That guy is terrifying. Outside of that the only time Toyman ever made an impression was when he killed Cat Grant's son in the 90s.

Mighty Member

HIRO OKAMURA

As Superboy Fan Superman/Batman #26 was a MUST READ...
    It was a GREAT Story where Tim tells the other a story when he and Conner went to Hiro in order to save him and they became friends with him.

It was so funny, but also sad when they stood at the end in front of Superboy Statue and Hiro held the Superboy Figure.

90's era child killer.

I'm in the minority here, I know, but that was a villain who was actually scary, and you could actually *do* something with him that was different from the typical "Superman fights a brightly colored bad guy" narrative. 90's Toyman was a straight crazy Arkham level psychopath and easily one of the most despicable villains Superman has ever fought. There's no one else in the rogues gallery like 90's Toyman.

I liked Hiro too, he was fun. And the DCAU Chucky rip off is somewhat interesting.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The creepy "living toy" one from STAS.

Retired

It was DC SPECIAL No. 14 (September-October 1971).

Before that, the little I saw of Toyman, there was nothing about him of note; he didn't have the long hair or the odd outfit. But the story from SUPERMAN No. 47 (July-August 1947) reprinted in DC SPECIAL made me realize that Toyman had once been a fantastic character.

My ideal Toyman would be the look from STAS and the personality from 90's Toyman.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I like almost all of them, but I think Superman TAS nailed the character in terms of a distinctly creepy look and feel.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Toyman is kinda tough because Winslow alone has had some pretty drastic variations. I usually don't like him a great deal, but I can say he's generally more interesting than he at first seems. I like that since Lex is the number one villain, Schott is in a position to have a more memorable result of conflicts with Superman, instead of coming back every few months.

I actually do like Jack Nimball best though, as he was a "field villain" who used "toys" like a power to essentially go toe to toe. It's kinda cool that he had a finite story, but maybe he was gone a little too soon.

STAS is likely the most memorable version, and a great re-do... but I have to say that he's also just a Batman villain painted over for Superman.

Hiro eh... cool but no point in lumping him into the moniker imo. I love that he deals with Japanese pop culture and you know... the electronics that actually appeal to youth and entertainment these days.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    My ideal Toyman would be the look from STAS and the personality from 90's Toyman.
    My brethren! That’s exactly what *my* Toyman looks like.

Mighty Member

Hmm...it's hard...

I like the "Evil Geppetto" version of him...but I really also like the STAS version who was extremely creepy...I mean even though the episode "Obsession" was kind of about him reclaiming some of his property (a "real doll" that gained independence) was extremely unsettling.

I'll echo most here and go with the Timmverse version. Yea he's basically a Gotham villain in Metropolis, but that's a good thing imo. He adds something unique to the rogues gallery, and it shows the range of Superman that he could deal with a new god one day and someone like Toyman the next.

Visually definitely TAS. Very creepy, very Chucky. To me it should be the standard visage Schott works behind and frankly I'm shocked it didn't take in the comics a long time ago.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Superfriends version of him was when I was first introduced and loved that version until I learned later on he was much different in the comics in which I was disappointed. The version in Superman: TAS just didn't do it for me. I did like the version from Superman: Doomsday giving him a goth look to him.

Gotta be Hiro for me. Superfriends living toy version - alien? - is kind of fun. Don't necessarily love Winslow Scott though.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."