Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I do have a fondness for the Imagi TMNT movie .
    I always wished that had gotten a sequel. Best Ninja Turtles movie since the original, and the last two movies haven't come close to that quality. Shame this isn't the sequel to that bit of awesomeness, but hopefully it will still be great and amazing. They do work amazingly well in animation, both 2D and 3D. Also work great as live action suits but that's another thing...

Ultimate Member

I wonder if they'll have Casey and April married or dating like in the comics, that is if Casey is even in the movie...the original live action movie is one of my all time favorites and a movie that I can still quote like half of the movie from memory...possibly because I've watched it hundreds of times...

Incredible Member

Points for actually getting the 80's Turtles VA's back, but Turtles Forever wins for having the Mirage!Turtles too .

they did pay homage to the comic book original turtles. turtles foever is more cohesive and longer. i do like the different type of animation with the 2 turtles team.

Incredible Member

I'd agree that the Imagi movie is the second best TMNT movie after the original 1990 but considering that's the only actual good one that's not saying very much.

There really is no clear path for TMNT. For decades now people have argued for the movies to succeed they needed to be the Fred Wolf show in live action, we know people who have worked on the property in Hollywood strongly agree with that sentiment but there has always been something to stop the films going fully in that direction. Then finally after so long it finally happened and it ended up being a near franchise killing flop.

This should have been the time to reevaluate whether that was ever the right path for TMNT in movie form. The growing calls for something more in line the 1990 movie (the only one that made that much of a profit) and buzz about a rumoured live action series with a dark tone should be indicators that maybe that is the route to down with the movies too instead we get a cgi cartoon produced by Seth Rogan? Sure, it could end up being good for what it is but TMNT: Fast Foward was good for it was but no one really wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I'd agree that the Imagi movie is the second best TMNT movie after the original 1990 but considering that's the only actual good one that's not saying very much.

There really is no clear path for TMNT. For decades now people have argued for the movies to succeed they needed to be the Fred Wolf show in live action, we know people who have worked on the property in Hollywood strongly agree with that sentiment but there has always been something to stop the films going fully in that direction. Then finally after so long it finally happened and it ended up being a near franchise killing flop.

This should have been the time to reevaluate whether that was ever the right path for TMNT in movie form. The growing calls for something more in line the 1990 movie (the only one that made that much of a profit) and buzz about a rumoured live action series with a dark tone should be indicators that maybe that is the route to down with the movies too instead we get a cgi cartoon produced by Seth Rogan? Sure, it could end up being good for what it is but TMNT: Fast Foward was good for it was but no one really wants it.
    I don't think the future of the franchise is aping the Fred Wolf cartoon more considering there have been successful Turtles adaptions that have eschewed more towards the Mirage comics then they did the original cartoon, or successfully melded the tone and style of the two. People just want quality product.

People have said Seth Rogen is a comics fan so we might be seeing something more in-line with the comics in some form.

Incredible Member

The fact that it's cgi makes me sceptical that it's going to be even a semi serious stab at the material even the adult humour of Sausage Party seems unlikely.

Kevin Munroe tried to do a more serious movie in '07 and ended up being pushed into lightening it up and adding toy friendly characters and so on. Granted Rogan has more clout to stand up for whatever vision he might have but he's still up against a big corporation.

Also while Seth is a comics fan and even done some comic adaptions is he a fan of TMNT comics? After all Zack Snyder read comics (including the Mirage TMNT) but didn't really care for traditional super heroes so it's not a suprise his interpretation of the DC heroes was so divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Liked turtles forever more. The nick one felt like a chopped up remake of turtles forever cut into 30 min with worse animation.
    Fair enough, but the animation is actually one reason I rank the Nick version higher; there was more creativity with the various art styles.
    They were? Man, it's been a while since I watched 2K12.

(Did they make a belt buckle joke?)
    It is basically a remake of the original.

There wasn't a belt buckle joke, but there were jokes about some shared voice actors, the Michael Bay movie, the '80s cartoon intro, etc.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    The fact that it's cgi makes me sceptical that it's going to be even a semi serious stab at the material even the adult humour of Sausage Party seems unlikely.

Kevin Munroe tried to do a more serious movie in '07 and ended up being pushed into lightening it up and adding toy friendly characters and so on. Granted Rogan has more clout to stand up for whatever vision he might have but he's still up against a big corporation.

Also while Seth is a comics fan and even done some comic adaptions is he a fan of TMNT comics? After all Zack Snyder read comics (including the Mirage TMNT) but didn't really care for traditional super heroes so it's not a suprise his interpretation of the DC heroes was so divisive.
    I think, even if there was some executive meddling, the Imagi film had a good balance of tone for a Turtles movie. Like, there was humor, but there was also the Leo and Raph stuff which was pretty serious and poignant, and the villains were taken seriously.

I hope this doesn't turn into another "it's an animated movie, let's kiddie-fy things even more."

I mean, I think if Rogen is involved in this then he must have at least some fondness for the property, but it's too soon to say in what way.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough, but the animation is actually one reason I rank the Nick version higher; there was more creativity with the various art styles.
    For a 2D animated feature, I think Turtles Forever looked pretty great and there was still a big contrast between the Fred Wolf Turtles and the 2K3 Turtles.

There wasn't a belt buckle joke, but there were jokes about some shared voice actors, the Michael Bay movie, the '80s cartoon intro, etc.
    I mean, I watched the episode, I just don't remember it as well it seems .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I liked the variation in Forever better personally and the Fred Wolf look seemed more on book to me:
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 07-04-2020 at 02:18 PM.

For a 2D animated feature, I think Turtles Forever looked pretty great and there was still a big contrast between the Fred Wolf Turtles and the 2K3 Turtles.
    To be fair, I find the 2k3 cartoon to be kinda overrated, so I'm not as invested in that take and I did like how the CGI and Flash animation was blended to further contrast the worlds and all that.

I mean, I watched the episode, I just don't remember it as well it seems .
    Well, I think it's safe to say that the story gets more of its humor from the character interaction then the in-jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I liked the variation in Forever better personally and the Fred Wolf look seemed more on book to me:
    I will concede that the second '80s/'12 crossover episode did have improved animation for the 2D scenes.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

To be fair, I find the 2k3 cartoon to be kinda overrated, so I'm not as invested in that take and I did like how the CGI and Flash animation was blended to further contrast the worlds and all that.
    Well, I'm a big fan of 2K3, so I may be a little biased .

Well, I'm a big fan of 2K3, so I may be a little biased .
    Fair enough.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Next Ninja Turtles Movie Will Be Heavy on the 'Teenage' Part of the Characters

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-next-nin...ena-1844606696

Spectacular Member

I can't wait for it. if it really going to happen..

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Next Ninja Turtles Movie Will Be Heavy on the 'Teenage' Part of the Characters

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-next-nin...ena-1844606696
    Feels like that's been emphasized a lot more lately with the animated incarnations.