Default Marvel's Spider-Man: The Black Cat Strikes #5

The last issue of Marvel's Spider-Man: The Black Cat Strikes was released digitally today. For anyone who doesn't remember it's an adaption of the PS4 game's DLC, all of it and not just The Heist.

clean.jpg

This last issue, I believed that these comics were canon to the PS4 game's universe, but this issue changes my view on it. It's not bad at all and I recommend reading it through before judging it, but I doubt this is what Insomniac Games intended for their portrayal of Felicia. In the Silver Lining DLC Felica saves Peter from Hammerhead, gives him the flash drive with Hammerhead's weakness, and leaves.

spoilers:
    In this comic, she comes back and steals a cop car while Peter helps to make sure Hammerhead is secure enough for the cops to take him. Peter notices her in the car and chases after her, with the entire scene being inspired by an episode of the 2017 Spider-Man Cartoon called A Day in The Life which also had Peter and Black Cat fight while she was driving a stolen car. She gets away by stopping at a Police Station and pulling a disappearing act on Peter. Somehow Black Cat was able to steal a uniform, sneak into the station, and stole a piece of Doc-Ock's tentacle.

Afterward, Mary Jane confronts her at the same pier where she claimed Hammerhead was keeping her son. Mary Jane just couldn't figure her out and Black Cat said the same about why Peter would like such a boring girl. Of course this was just a diversion and Black Cat ended getting caught by Peter and the police. The comic ends with Peter and MJ doing the upside-down kiss, and Black Cat while being arrested was smiling at them and called them, "Adorable."
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    The last issue of Marvel's Spider-Man: The Black Cat Strikes was released digitally today. For anyone who doesn't remember it's an adaption of the PS4 game's DLC, all of it and not just The Heist.

clean.jpg

This last issue, I believed that these comics were canon to the PS4 game's universe, but this issue changes my view on it. It's not bad at all and I recommend reading it through before judging it, but I doubt this is what Insomniac Games intended for their portrayal of Felicia. In the Silver Lining DLC Felica saves Peter from Hammerhead, gives him the flash drive with Hammerhead's weakness, and leaves.

spoilers:
    In this comic, she comes back and steals a cop car while Peter helps to make sure Hammerhead is secure enough for the cops to take him. Peter notices her in the car and chases after her, with the entire scene being inspired by an episode of the 2017 Spider-Man Cartoon called A Day in The Life which also had Peter and Black Cat fight while she was driving a stolen car. She gets away by stopping at a Police Station and pulling a disappearing act on Peter. Somehow Black Cat was able to steal a uniform, sneak into the station, and stole a piece of Doc-Ock's tentacle.

Afterward, Mary Jane confronts her at the same pier where she claimed Hammerhead was keeping her son. Mary Jane just couldn't figure her out and Black Cat said the same about why Peter would like such a boring girl. Of course this was just a diversion and Black Cat ended getting caught by Peter and the police. The comic ends with Peter and MJ doing the upside-down kiss, and Black Cat while being arrested was smiling at them and called them, "Adorable."
    end of spoilers

Urgh what a terrible spoiler

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    Urgh what a terrible spoiler
    Felicia loses to MJ again, this time in her own comic. I wonder if this will have an impact on 616? ps. I sure hope so.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Felicia loses to MJ again, this time in her own comic. I wonder if this will have an impact on 616? ps. I sure hope so.
    They're always trying to put Felicia down. It gets a bit boring after awhile

Astonishing Member

They're always trying to put Felicia down. It gets a bit boring after awhile
    They need to find someone either then Peter for Felicia. Maybe someone new and different.

Incredible Member

They need to find someone either then Peter for Felicia. Maybe someone new and different.

She is a great love interest for Spidey. They just got to use her as that than like they are

Astonishing Member

She is a great love interest for Spidey. They just got to use her as that than like they are
    Felicia is the “Other Woman” The one a man will almost never sacrifice is current squeeze for.

I wouldn't take the comic too seriously though. City at War and Black Cat Strikes changed a few things from the game's story to fit five issues.

Plus, Mary Jane should have left for Symkaria or should have been packing around the time Spider-Man confronted and defeated Hammerhead. That was dialogue right before the boss fight if I remember correctly.

Maybe the flashbacks between Mary Jane, Peter, and Felicia could be canon, but I just don't know about issue fives conclusion.

Plus, Mary Jane should have left for Symkaria or should have been packing around the time Spider-Man confronted and defeated Hammerhead. That was dialogue right before the boss fight if I remember correctly.
    Yeah, I would've ended it on the Peter/Miles mentorship and MJ leaving for Symkaria that will actually lead into the next game then an original ending.

It's like the writer played the DLC and thought to themselves "wow, Black Cat manipulates Peter and faces zero consequences for it!" which I guess I understand to some extent but this goes further then that by throwing shade on the one altruistic thing she does in the entire story and kind of throws her under the bus by the end of it. I guess in a standalone sense the ending fits the comic's version of the story but it doesn't feel quite right as an adaption.

Other things that bothered me:

spoilers:
    "It's weird how much I like her" - Yeah, it's definitely weird that you would say that MJ given she doesn't act at all likeable in the one direct interaction you have in the entire comic. Like, seriously, what do you like about her? That she's upfront with how bad she is? That she calls you "Nancy Drew?" That she threatens you? That she says Peter has good taste in women because he dated the both of you even though she probably wasn't being that sincere about it?

Also, I know Felicia can be glib, but looking back and seeing your ex-boyfriend making out with the gal who got you busted while you're being carted away by the police...somehow I don't think she'd call that "adorable." I get PeterxMJ is the ship, but that felt a bit much.

And are the police not going to notice a semi-prominent reporter who tipped them off is making out with Spider-Man right in front of them?
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't take the comic too seriously though. City at War and Black Cat Strikes changed a few things from the game's story to fit five issues.

Maybe the flashbacks between Mary Jane, Peter, and Felicia could be canon, but I just don't know about issue fives conclusion.
    I have to admit I am not a gamer ( Spider-Man or any other), so I defer to you on that. I just have never felt that Peter and Felicia will be a couple in the way that Peter and MJ are. I am not anti-Felicia ( like I am anti-Cindy), I am just Pro-MJ. Why? I think the only woman I have seen that can handle Peter Parker and Spider-Man (at least in 616) is MJ.

I have to admit I am not a gamer ( Spider-Man or any other), so I defer to you on that. I just have never felt that Peter and Felicia will be a couple in the way that Peter and MJ are. I am not anti-Felicia ( like I am anti-Cindy), I am just Pro-MJ. Why? I think the only woman I have seen that can handle Peter Parker and Spider-Man (at least in 616) is MJ.
    It's just a different (and equally valid) relationship in my opinion. I love Peter and MJ but there have been times when, admittedly, she just couldn't deal with the Spider-Man stuff.

Incredible Member

Iv only recently started gaming but Iv always loved Spidey and Peter since the 1994 cartoon and the old school comics. Which isn't to say I don't like MJ, I do i just prefer Felicia. No fan of Gwen though. The character is famous for dying not for the character itself which was boring.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's just a different (and equally valid) relationship in my opinion. I love Peter and MJ but there have been times when, admittedly, she just couldn't deal with the Spider-Man stuff.
    I can love both relationships. One shouldn't invalidate the other

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I happen to agree with you. “You can have him.” ( to Gwen) in the Prowler issue, and a few other ( throw in the abandonment of her sister). But look at MJ when she’s went with Peter to see the Connors family during the Spencer run. Under Spencer MJ ( and for that matter Pete and Felicia) have grown since earlier days.

I happen to agree with you. “You can have him.” ( to Gwen) in the Prowler issue, and a few other ( throw in the abandonment of her sister). But look at MJ when she’s went with Peter to see the Connors family during the Spencer run. Under Spencer MJ ( and for that matter Pete and Felicia) have grown since earlier days.
    All the women in Peter's life have come a long way.

(Which is why it bothered me that this book had to throw Felicia under the bus so much).