Amazing Member

Default Is Eternal worth picking up?

I just started reading the new 52 Batman series (amazing by the way, a lot better than the Marvel stuff I've been reading) so I'm somewhat caught up while also being extremely behind. I have a few question regarding the entirety of Batman.

Is Batman Eternal worth picking up? I have the first 3, Death of the Family, and all of Zero Year for the New 52 so I was wondering if Eternal effects what I'm currently reading or if I could live without reading it.

Also, for the pre new 52 Batman, what issues/story arcs should I pick up (I'm looking for anything between the 70s and 90s).

Thanks a ton in advance!

I've enjoyed New52 Batman a lot as well.

So far Eternal doesn't effect new52 Batman at all IMO. I'm slowly finding eternal to be less and less appealing.

Arcs/tpb's I've really enjoyed are Batman year one, The long Halloween, Dark Victory, Death in the family, A Lonely Place of Dying, The Knightfall saga, Hush, Under the Hood, Legacy, Black Mirror, and Batman and son (to name a few you may enjoy.)

Happy reading!

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    I just started reading the new 52 Batman series (amazing by the way, a lot better than the Marvel stuff I've been reading) so I'm somewhat caught up while also being extremely behind. I have a few question regarding the entirety of Batman.

Is Batman Eternal worth picking up? I have the first 3, Death of the Family, and all of Zero Year for the New 52 so I was wondering if Eternal effects what I'm currently reading or if I could live without reading it.

Also, for the pre new 52 Batman, what issues/story arcs should I pick up (I'm looking for anything between the 70s and 90s).

Thanks a ton in advance!

Definitely. It's a modern, sexier and smarter beast of the Hush and Knightfall template, a sprawling crossover that packs in as many appearances and big scenes as possible. And far more entertaining than either of those.

You can either buy 1-19 in singles, which might cost you a bit, or wait for Vol.1 tpb in December (1-20) and pick up reading the singles from there. It will be 50 issues all up. Pre-New 52 check out here for ideas.

Absolutely! It's my favourite Bat-book going at the moment, and that it's weekly is icing on the cake.

It's the Bat-book with something for everybody: You've got your 'Long Halloween' style gangster drama with Falcone and The Penguin; you've got your 'Arkham Asylum' style supernatural horror; you've got your 'Gotham Central' style hard-boiled crime action with Gordon and Jason Bard; you've got your character-based family drama with Stephanie and Julia; etc etc. It's like 'Batman's Greatest Hits'.

There've been a couple on longueurs, but mostly everything has worked, and if you're not a fan of one plot line then the next week things switch up. The last few issues in particular have crammed in a lot of character moments amongst the action. I haven't felt such a connection with Red Hood since...well, ever.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Yes, it is excellent!

BANNED

I bought the first couple of issues, found it meh and dropped it, haven't missed it.

If you want just The Batman only, probably not. But if you enjoy his extended family, it's worth it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd say so, yes. It and Grayson are the only Bat-books I'm currently getting, and I don't feel as though I'm missing out on much.

I hope the success of Eternal and Future's End lead to many more weekly series. I would kill for a Wonder Woman one.

Amazing Member

It's a good book if your are interested in the entire bat- family

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    It's a modern, sexier and smarter beast of the Hush and Knightfall template, a sprawling crossover that packs in as many appearances and big scenes as possible. And far more entertaining than either of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    It's the Bat-book with something for everybody: You've got your 'Long Halloween' style gangster drama with Falcone and The Penguin; you've got your 'Arkham Asylum' style supernatural horror; you've got your 'Gotham Central' style hard-boiled crime action with Gordon and Jason Bard; you've got your character-based family drama with Stephanie and Julia; etc etc. It's like 'Batman's Greatest Hits'.
    You guys just sold me on this - though not wanting to expand my pull list any further, I think I'll wait 'til the trade drops in December.

Extraordinary Member

Either trade wait or go digital for it. It's good, but it's is around 60 issues.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It is, pound for pound, probably the best Bat book being produced right now.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    It is, pound for pound, probably the best Bat book being produced right now.
    Yep. While Batman was in Zero Year and next month is in Future's End this is the Bat-book shaping the current Batman continuity. Snyder did do the montage page in Batman #34, but I have a feeling that a lot of people just reading Batman and not Eternal are going to be a little lost when #35 hits in October