Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    I've had some business with BooksEtc recently, and I thought I would share my thoughts here.
    They have a new website now, and they offer "free shipping" worldwide, and any additional taxes and import fees are already added to the price that you see on the website. That means that the price at the checkout page is the final price for your order (just like BookDepository is doing). I decided to try this and placed 2 separate orders. Once they arrived in my country they were handed over to 2 different mail carriers, and one of them held my books in customs and demanded that I pay a fee in order to get the books released.
    After a bunch of emailing back and forth between the carrier and BooksEtc (both of them insisting that the other part is wrong and should refund me the fee) BooksEtc ended up refunding me the amount and all is now good.
    So, since the other mail carrier delivered the order to me directly without asking for any extra fees, it seems like this is completely up to which local carrier ends up taking the packages once it arrives in your country.
    Thx for posting this gohei_. This sounds encouraging but also problematic with the to and fro emailing. If I understand you correctly, you picked up your books and paid for them and then Booketc. refunded you? Or did you first get confirmation from Booketc. that they would refund you after they finished emailing each other and then you paid for them? Did you have to sort out the carrier's email contact details for Booketc. or did they sort it out themselves?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Thx for posting this gohei_. This sounds encouraging but also problematic with the to and fro emailing. If I understand you correctly, you picked up your books and paid for them and then Booketc. refunded you? Or did you first get confirmation from Booketc. that they would refund you after they finished emailing each other and then you paid for them? Did you have to sort out the carrier's email contact details for Booketc. or did they sort it out themselves?
    The local mail Carrier, PostNord, held my books in customs until the fee had been paid. Booksetc told me that PostNord acted wrong here but that I had to pay them first and then claim a refund afterwards, which is Exactly what I did.
    PostNord said that they hadn't been given the correct info from Booksetc, hence the books got caught in customs.

At first I acted as a middleman between the two parts but after a couple of emails I asked Booksetc to contact PostNord directly, and they took it from there. I only provided them with the tracking number PostNord had given me.

The local mail Carrier, PostNord, held my books in customs until the fee had been paid. Booksetc told me that PostNord acted wrong here but that I had to pay them first and then claim a refund afterwards, which is Exactly what I did.
    PostNord said that they hadn't been given the correct info from Booksetc, hence the books got caught in customs.

At first I acted as a middleman between the two parts but after a couple of emails I asked Booksetc to contact PostNord directly, and they took it from there. I only provided them with the tracking number PostNord had given me.
    Great, thanks mate! I'll be sure to check Booksetc. once "again" after over a year's absence. They usually have pretty good prices for DC Omnibusse and not so bad for Marvel ones.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Great, thanks mate! I'll be sure to check Booksetc. once "again" after over a year's absence. They usually have pretty good prices for DC Omnibusse and not so bad for Marvel ones.
    Sure thing. I believe there was a line in their FAQ that orders above 150 £ will be subject to additional taxes upon arrival. So make sure to order your Omnis one at a time

Sure thing. I believe there was a line in their FAQ that orders above 150 £ will be subject to additional taxes upon arrival. So make sure to order your Omnis one at a time
    Gotcha! Thx ��

Incredible Member

Just wanted to let you all know that Book Depository will be shutting down at the end of the month. I am sad to hear it, cuz even after Brexit they were still having really good prices on certain books and I have never had any problems with shipping and packaging from them.

Just wanted to let you all know that Book Depository will be shutting down at the end of the month. I am sad to hear it, cuz even after Brexit they were still having really good prices on certain books and I have never had any problems with shipping and packaging from them.
    Oh, wow. I didn't order from them as much anymore after Brexit as before. Prices were a lot higher then before. But always great services. Too bad. Do you know why they are shutting down?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Oh, wow. I didn't order from them as much anymore after Brexit as before. Prices were a lot higher then before. But always great services. Too bad. Do you know why they are shutting down?
    Yeah same here. I still buy from them from time to time but before Brexit they had The best prices on TPBs.
    No idea, their announcement doesn’t mention the reason for it.

Yeah same here. I still buy from them from time to time but before Brexit they had The best prices on TPBs.
    No idea, their announcement doesn’t mention the reason for it.
    I just read their statement. They'll stop at the 26th of april.

Do you think it's because of Brexit?

Incredible Member

I just read their statement. They'll stop at the 26th of april.

Do you think it's because of Brexit?
    I'm sure they lost a lot of business after that, so maybe?

I'm sure they lost a lot of business after that, so maybe?
    Yeah. It makes comics for the European mainland more expensive.

There is a new shop I've tried 2 weeks ago. Comicsbugle. Not the cheapest, but pre-order prices are ok. And good packaging.

Incredible Member

Yeah. It makes comics for the European mainland more expensive.

There is a new shop I've tried 2 weeks ago. Comicsbugle. Not the cheapest, but pre-order prices are ok. And good packaging.
    I've seen them on Facebook, but I haven't looked at their inventory and prices. Good to know.

Amazon to shutter Book Depository, a UK-based online bookseller it acquired in 2011, on April 26
    I'm really sad about this. I loved Book Depository since the prices were good and I didn't have to pay truly exorbitant and prohibitive delivery costs for living outside the EU or continental US. I'll have to cancel my preorders with them and look to the other reputable trades sites. Damn you, Amazon!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

I placed my last order with Book Depository today. RIP BD.

I placed my last order with Book Depository today. RIP BD.
    I will before the day is done, too, since I still have a 10% off code with them.

What a pity.