Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Has James Robinson Written Anything as Good as Starman Since Starman?

It seems like he hasn't written anything as widely praised since Starman ended. The response by fans and critics towards his Scarlet Witch, Superman, and Wonder Woman runs for instance have been lukewarm to downright negative.

I mean this with no disrespect to Robinson. His 90s work such as The Golden Age, Witchcraft, and Bluebeard were some of the best comics published during that decade.

I thought his Airboy from Image with Greg Hinkle a few years ago was pretty damn good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought his Airboy from Image with Greg Hinkle a few years ago was pretty damn good.
    I reeeaaalllyyy wanted that to be an ongoing.

I really liked a lot of stuff from his early career like “London’s Dark”, “Illegal Alien”, “Leave it to Chance” and so on. Not followed his stuff in recent years..but my own gut feeling is that his priorities changed, rather than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I really liked a lot of stuff from his early career like “London’s Dark”, “Illegal Alien”, “Leave it to Chance” and so on. Not followed his stuff in recent years..but my own gut feeling is that his priorities changed, rather than anything else.
    Me too. Among his earlier works, I remember reading...

The Golden Age

Other than that, I'm not very familiar with any of his works.

For what it's worth though, I did read what he's done for Marvel
    (my favorites were Cable & Tales of Suspense):

What, no one is bold enough to reccomend Cry for Justice?

<.<

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    What, no one is bold enough to reccomend Cry for Justice?

<.<
    Was that the one with the caterang?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Does it really make sense to compare the recent "Wonder Woman..." run to Starman like it is "Apple"/"Apple" though?

I don't really know if I could think of a DC property a the moment that would feel like it was comparable in the here and now. Never mind if the potential route was there, and the writer just didn't do his/her best work.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Does it really make sense to compare the recent "Wonder Woman..." run to Starman like it is "Apple"/"Apple" though?

I don't really know if I could think of a DC property a the moment that would feel like it was comparable in the here and now. Never mind if the potential route was there, and the writer just didn't do his/her best work.
    If two fruit came from the same tree, what kind of weird science would it take from them not to be the same kind of fruit?

He wrote a stellar (see what I did there?) book while DC was putting out crap like Bloodlines and Fate. Why shouldn't he write good books while DC put out crap like Worlds' Finest?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    If two fruit came from the same tree, what kind of weird science would it take from them not to be the same kind of fruit?

He wrote a stellar (see what I did there?) book while DC was putting out crap like Bloodlines and Fate. Why shouldn't he write good books while DC put out crap like Worlds' Finest?
    On that...

Are you really of the mind that how involved DC will be in certain IP(even Tom King won't get to actually finish his "Batman" run in the whole that he had seemingly envisioned...) will not amount to that you are essentially talking "Apple"/"Orange" when it comes to the odds that a creator will likely have the sort of freedom needed to potentially create a run that will wind up being a classic?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-04-2020 at 12:41 AM.

Never mind if there is IP that might lend itself to itself to such a run that the current DC Comics is going to take any sort of a chance on.

How many recent instances of anything even remotely risky that the company was really sticking it's neck out on?

Take that "Wonder Woman..." run that came up.

As I recall, Jason was a pretty central feature in it. Was that even something that Robinson went in and wanted to work on? Was it just work as a part of the guy's chosen profession that came with an element he would not really have pushed for?

Once again, we see there are many, many questions one can pull out of thin air that we will never know the answer to.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Once again, we see there are many, many questions one can pull out of thin air that we will never know the answer to.
    Which are answers that you don't really absolutely need to make something of an educated guess about if a "Batman..." run will likely be the "Orange..." to a "Mister Miracle..." run's "Apple..."

While not as highly praised, his Airboy series and The Shade miniseries were both well received. I believe Earth-2 received positive reviews as well before he left the book