Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Wait, are we talking this performance?

Attachment 98334
    Yes this is the one Arby referred to

Wait, are we talking this performance?

Attachment 98334
    Yeah, that's the one.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Yes this is the one Arby referred to
    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Yeah, that's the one.
    Oh, okay then. I misunderstood. I thought Cthulu was referring to something new.

I'll be honest. I hate that performance by Clark. I feel like the writer vastly undersold Clark's damage output. I mean, dude ended up throwing some 4000 + blows against Doomsday and only managed to chip some teeth? Puh-lease. If Zoom, or Wally west can IMP the crap out of class 100s with devastating effect, I feel a near light Clark should be able to at least equal that damage output.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ultimate Member

Oh, okay then. I misunderstood. I thought Cthulu was referring to something new.

I'll be honest. I hate that performance by Clark. I feel like the writer vastly undersold Clark's damage output. I mean, dude ended up throwing some 4000 + blows against Doomsday and only managed to chip some teeth? Puh-lease. If Zoom, or Wally west can IMP the crap out of class 100s with devastating effect, I feel a near light Clark should be able to at least equal that damage output.
    I agree the writer undersold Clark here.

I would have at least like to have even seen some shockwaves or something. It just looked like Clark was tapping him at super speed.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-02-2020 at 02:16 PM.

So did I.

Curse my lack of caring for modern comics!
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Clark does later smash DD hard enough to send him halfway across the planet. He basically is unharmed by that as well.

That whole story portrayed DD as basically a lion hunting zebras. Like, Kryptonians were his prey. Not a threat.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Well DD has always been really tough, and he is supposed to be the one who killed the same post crisis Superman he is fighting there. So it makes sense to hype him up to a level that can barely feel that type of attack(guess its fair to say Rebirth DD is more powerful than Hunter Prey).

Superman is stronger now though so it's not like DD can take that anywhere near many large planet+ busting punches from Rebirth Supes.

Though wouldn't this scene also indicate a form of superspeed for DD? I mean, for someone who can punch at near lightspeed; just over 4k isn't that many. For DD to stop him at that moment is actually a speed feat within itself if you think about it.
    Last edited by Cody; 07-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Well DD has always been really tough, and he is supposed to be the one who killed the same post crisis Superman he is fighting there. So it makes sense to hype him up to a level that can barely feel that type of attack(guess its fair to say Rebirth DD is more powerful than Hunter Prey).
    It's not as HP DD frankly stomped folks with better feats

Superman is stronger now though so it's not like DD can take that anywhere near many large planet+ busting punches from Rebirth Supes.

Though wouldn't this scene also indicate a form of superspeed for DD? I mean, for someone who can punch at near lightspeed; just over 4k isn't that many. For DD to stop him at that moment is actually a speed feat within itself if you think about it.
    No, that's just the writer typically forgetting how fast Superman really is.....which isnt surprising for this particular writer . He wrote the Death of Superman after all, where they just stood and punched each other at regular speeds

Clark does later smash DD hard enough to send him halfway across the planet. He basically is unharmed by that as well.

That whole story portrayed DD as basically a lion hunting zebras. Like, Kryptonians were his prey. Not a threat.
    Clearly the Arbitus Twoamus has never been kicked by a Zeb-ra.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So did I.

Curse my lack of caring for modern comics!
    It's not like DC's umpteenth reboot is a barrier at all.

I was reading new 52 Flash, stopped about issue 47. Some justice league. Cried a little because DC doesn't seem to know what to do with Martian Manhunter...sigh.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree the writer undersold Clark here.

I would have at least like to have even seen some shockwaves or something. It just looked like Clark was tapping him at super speed.
    Pretty much. Zoom or Wally West with no super strength can knock class 100s cross country, but Clark who can do the same without using super speed suddenly loses super strength when using super speed. Makes no sense.
    ----------------------

Fair to a degree. Doomsday is to post crisis Clark what Darkseid was to Clark pre crisis. I guess I feel like someone on Clark's level of strength coupled with super speed should have been a little more of a threat, even to Doomsie.
    ----------------------

Pretty much. Zoom or Wally West with no super strength can knock class 100s cross country, but Clark who can do the same without using super speed suddenly loses super strength when using super speed. Makes no sense.
    Writers can be idiots at times.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Fair to a degree. Doomsday is to post crisis Clark what Darkseid was to Clark pre crisis. I guess I feel like someone on Clark's level of strength coupled with super speed should have been a little more of a threat, even to Doomsie.
    Well if you assume he did no damage (and I believe the comic's writer confirmed that was Clark's blood, not Doomsday's) then 4000 times zero is still zero.

This version of Doomsday just seems to be THAT tough. The real question is how he manages to then catch Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Well if you assume he did no damage (and I believe the comic's writer confirmed that was Clark's blood, not Doomsday's) then 4000 times zero is still zero.

This version of Doomsday just seems to be THAT tough. The real question is how he manages to then catch Clark.
    Clark inexplicably slows down. His arms are no longer a blur in the final panels and he is counting each individual blow.

Its... random and stupid. But whatever lol.

And yes, the writer confirmed it was Clark's blood. So his super strength didnt disappear when using his speed. Otherwise he would not have been overcoming his own durability on DD's face.

Would shockwaves or something have been more aesthetically pleasing? Sure. But it's not the first time a Class 100 has hit hard without resulting in explosions.
    - big_adventure