Default America Chavez vs America Vasquez

Can someone explain what the deal is here?

Marvel has Miss America Chavez, Puerto Rican raised, alt reality born and powered hero.

And I just read Image’s All America with Vasquez, seemingly Chicano born with alt reality powers... fighting Doom and possibly Chavez, and meeting up with Captain America, Iron Man, And Thor.

Did my brain just pop?

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

TL;DR

Joe Casey (original creator of America Chavez and America Vasquez) made America specifically for the Vengeance mini-event. He wasn't exactly promised an on-going with the character afterwards (no one really knows the full story, though) but he felt slighted when Gabby Rivera was chosen to do a new run. Coupled with the negative reception of said run Joe announced that he was doing "his own take" on the character with Image Comics instead. But that was announced years ago and the All-America Comix one-shot is the result.

Ultimate Member

Sounds like he's mad that his character took off without him.

When she was introduced, America was just a Hispanic legacy to the original Ms. America. Hell, she got dumped in another dimension and had to be rescued by others, something that wouldn't happen to the current one.

Honestly, I preferred his original one, but hey...

We don’t know what the original plan for All America Comix might have been, given it was announced so long ago, and likely went through heavy revision.

What we got was obviously an attempt to parody much of what happened during Rivera’s run, and I can’t really fault him for being “angry” about those issues.

Ewing remains my favorite MAC writer.

The All-America Comix issue really wasn't that great.

It seemed like the writer was trying to say "How how awesome my character is how how lame everyone else is," and the character just came across as an unlikable punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The All-America Comix issue really wasn't that great.

It seemed like the writer was trying to say "How how awesome my character is how how lame everyone else is," and the character just came across as an unlikable punk.
    So like what everyone who hates America Chavez accuses her of being.

This is very common.

The Authority fought the Americans (Avengers for me) and Grant Morrison did his own version of the Marvel's mightiest heroes in Multiversity. They are named the Retaliators.

Americans_%28Earth-50%29_001.jpg
    4349263-ret.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So like what everyone who hates America Chavez accuses her of being.
    Pretty much.

Only Casey didn't get death threats like Gabby did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Sounds like he's mad that his character took off without him.

When she was introduced, America was just a Hispanic legacy to the original Ms. America. Hell, she got dumped in another dimension and had to be rescued by others, something that wouldn't happen to the current one.

Honestly, I preferred his original one, but hey...
    To be fair, she didn't ask to be rescued from Tiboro's dimension. She seemed annoyed when She-Hulk came, as if she didn't need her.

Even before Gillen introduced her space-time portals I figured that America must have had some plan to get home on her own.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    To be fair, she didn't ask to be rescued from Tiboro's dimension. She seemed annoyed when She-Hulk came, as if she didn't need her.

Even before Gillen introduced her space-time portals I figured that America must have had some plan to get home on her own.
    I would chalk that up the the attitude that the entire main cast had, bad guys and good guys, of 'stuff it, old people'. Because she was pretty torn up for someone who was fighting a fight she didn't need to.

I think that if she had the ability to teleport, she would have used it once in the 6 issue mini, especially as it would have been helpful several times.

Mind, the mini was underwhelming and she's the only worthwhile element of it, so hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Can someone explain what the deal is here?
    America Vasquez is written better.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest