Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm kind of divided about the Phantom Stranger (and the Specter also). On the one hand, he's a very cool and mysterious character, larger than even our heroes are.

On the other hand, it solidifies the idea that Abrahamic God is the real one and I really don't like it for plenty of reasons.
    I really don't like that version of the Spectre at all. I like the original Spectre a bit better, but I acknowledge it has the same issues. I'd say lots of gods from lots of religions/mythologies are the "real" one in comics. Doesn't make any of the belief systems correct, though. And I understand Marvel went the alien angle with Thor (never read that one), which I don't like for diminishing that one and not the Abrahamic one the same way (unless they did that, too, I guess). The worst though was an old one where Wonder Woman referenced a one God above all others thing in what seemed a clear nod to the Abrahamic God. She just shouldn't think that way.

And I'm not really that keen on what happened with Doctor Fate, either. Guess I don't like a lot of concepts that went over well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I really don't like that version of the Spectre at all. I like the original Spectre a bit better, but I acknowledge it has the same issues. I'd say lots of gods from lots of religions/mythologies are the "real" one in comics. Doesn't make any of the belief systems correct, though. And I understand Marvel went the alien angle with Thor (never read that one), which I don't like for diminishing that one and not the Abrahamic one the same way (unless they did that, too, I guess). The worst though was an old one where Wonder Woman referenced a one God above all others thing in what seemed a clear nod to the Abrahamic God. She just shouldn't think that way.

And I'm not really that keen on what happened with Doctor Fate, either. Guess I don't like a lot of concepts that went over well.
    That was more the movies than the comics.

Thanks for thread

Phantom Stranger needs to be in Justice League Dark Hbo Max show!!!!!

Who is with me??

PHANTOM STRANGER 4.jpgI agree Phantom Stranger should be part of Justice League Dark

PHANTOM STRANGER 2.jpganother piece of amazing Art.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

First Phantom Stranger story I ever read was in The Brave and The Bold #145 with the Whitman Logo.

B&B145Whitman.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The lasso is what I think was meant to give her the advantage since it's been used on god-like beings before so I didn't really think much of it. Him acting more like I felt The Spectre would was a bit more questionable to me.
    Sorry, but NO-ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Its one of the moments where Diana is just OP and it makes no sense.

It makes no sense, because (like I understood and I think it should also be) the Presence as the ONLY "true" God.

1 Presence
    2 Elaine
    3 Michael and Lucifer
    4 Spectre
    5 Phantom Stranger

They should be OUT OF HER REACH and Lasso SHOULDNT WORK if you try to use it on them!!!!!
    They should all be even able to transform the Lasso in normal ropes etc.!!

Greek Gods,New Gods,Kryptonian-Martian Gods etc. etc. etc. are for me only creations of the Presence and only have powers because Presence wants it and Presence can delete them and turn their powers on and off like he wants...

From Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XVIII (August 1986)

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Phantom Stranger has some good battles with Tala.

TalaWho.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Phantom Stranger has some good battles with Tala.

TalaWho.jpg
    She was used quite a bit in the last season of JLU.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Thanks for thread

Phantom Stranger needs to be in Justice League Dark Hbo Max show!!!!!

Who is with me??

As long as he isn't there to job to Constantine or some other character.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Sorry, but NO-ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Its one of the moments where Diana is just OP and it makes no sense.

It makes no sense, because (like I understood and I think it should also be) the Presence as the ONLY "true" God.

1 Presence
    2 Elaine
    3 Michael and Lucifer
    4 Spectre
    5 Phantom Stranger

They should be OUT OF HER REACH and Lasso SHOULDNT WORK if you try to use it on them!!!!!
    They should all be even able to transform the Lasso in normal ropes etc.!!

Greek Gods,New Gods,Kryptonian-Martian Gods etc. etc. etc. are for me only creations of the Presence and only have powers because Presence wants it and Presence can delete them and turn their powers on and off like he wants...
    Meh, the Abrahamic God needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    While the New 52 book had its moments, I wasn’t a fan of the fact that they gave him a new definitive origin as Judas. I much prefer the Phantom Stranger to be a mystery. But if I had to choose an origin I would pick the Alan Moore story in which the Stranger was an angel who didn’t pick a side in Lucifer’s rebellion in heaven, so he’s condemned to walk the earth forever.

I kind of remember an issue of Justice League Dark from a year or so ago in which the Phantom Stranger once again has an ambiguous origin, so the Judas stuff may have been retconned.
    I didn't mind the idea that he was at some point any of these, but that should not have been his start point only something he had done

Imo that should never be exactly defined

Ever

That's his mystique for me

He’s a very intriguing character to me.

Classic, New 52, etc.

I do grant that the Stranger is the essence of the unknown and the unknowable.
    Pull List: Currently Empty