Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    iMan 42s

I keep hearing that Alien and Predator comics are just this nightmarish gore fest and guys..., guys. I've read these, I own several, no they aren't. Those comics have nothing on what Marvel puts out right now and is known to put out let alone do to an Avenger (Thor gets his arm torn off, Wasp was eaten, do you see what they do to Bruce Banner every month?).

This is not Hellraiser in the Marvel universe.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Poor poor Dark Horse. They're basically Hellboy Comics now.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I just hope that the new comics have the same layer of grime and good storytelling that Dark Horse had. This is not a superhero universe where the same heroes fight the same villains with quips aplenty, but a cosmic tomb where ninety percent of the characters get butchered. I really hope we don't see 'The Adventures of Ellen Ripley' or some **** like that.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Poor poor Dark Horse. They're basically Hellboy Comics now.
    And the mask. Yeah marvel, boom and idw now have most of the ips dark horse was known for!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought they did one back in the 90's?

I admit it's raw idiot fanboy-ism driving me here, but I don't see any reason why this can't be good for all IP's involved. As long as Marvel keeps a "less is more" mentality about this and is careful about how they handle any crossover/integration.....who does this hurt? Look at that Darth Vader v. Aliens art up-thread and tell me that's not a three issue miniseries you'd buy if Marvel wasn't stupid about it.

One of the great things about both A/P is that they easily blend with tons of other settings. People thought Predator/Batman was a stupid idea but it ended up being a big hit. Aliens and Predators weren't even supposed to co-exist in the first place either, but that's worked out fine.

Could it all fall into ruin and be awful? Of course. But it could be really good too.

I mean, hell, they made Aliens work with friggin Superman. If they can pull that off without hurting anything then why're y'all worried about this?
    Those comics weren't in continuity and, just because the IPs are now owned by Disney, doesn't mean everything needs to be in one big universe. I have no desire to see Jedi Knights or Sith Lords popping up in marvel cosmic events. Marvel will now publish them? Cool. But keep them in their own universe (which can be one in the marvel multiverse). Predator and Alien comics are brutal and gory. Having them in the MU will need them to be neutered to a degree.

Most people are saying, "Yeah! Bring them in so we can see this or that". I'd love to see Punisher throw down with Micheal Myers, but I have no desire to see The Shape in the broader MU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I just hope that the new comics have the same layer of grime and good storytelling that Dark Horse had. This is not a superhero universe where the same heroes fight the same villains with quips aplenty, but a cosmic tomb where ninety percent of the characters get butchered. I really hope we don't see 'The Adventures of Ellen Ripley' or some **** like that.
    This. Having these properties can allow Marvel to diversify with multiple ranges - Marvel Universe (main superhero lines), Star Wars, Alien/Predator, Conan. Play around with age ranges for each.

iMan 42s

In the case of Alien they already went there, while over in Predator it's actually kind of rare you get repeat heroes. That was the appeal of DH's Hunters series because we got to see a lot of them come back. In terms of Film characters making a reappearance, Harrigan got a short story in I think "If it bleeds" and Dutch's only confirmed appearance was actually in Hunting Grounds which is actually his first canonical appearance since 87.

I actually asked about The Predator Killer for an interview the AVP Galaxy crew had with Hunting Ground's developers and they got nervous awkward laughter as a result. Nobody is touching that.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Marvel Unleashes Alien and Predator on the Avengers in David Finch Teasers

Damnnnnn. Firstly, poor Dark Horse, do they have anything else at this point?

On the other, Predator vs Avengers and Aliens vs GOTG? Yes please.
    They start out with Aliens and Predator v Avengers? Jesus.

Could we at least get some stories about Aliens or Predators before the inevitable crossover?

A new Colonial Marines series is something I would actually want to see.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    They start out with Aliens and Predator v Avengers? Jesus.

Could we at least get some stories about Aliens or Predators before the inevitable crossover?

A new Colonial Marines series is something I would actually want to see.
    It's an announcement image. No books are confirmed at this time, only that something will launch in 2021.

Astonishing Member

Hey!!! Lets not forget a couple years before the Brood we had a Alien-inspired monster in X-MEN, the N-Garai demon that chased Kitty all over the mansion in Bryne last issue of his run. came out a year after Alien, and was confirmed to be inspired by the film. yeah you basically have 2 xenomorphs monsters in the MU. the intelligent Brood and the N-garai(athough there's different kinds of N-garai), athough to be honest it hard to pick which is worse to die, the Garai demons from Claremont stories implied to even consume your soul. so you wont have a afterlife once you get killed by them which is depressing. Brood are more parasitic and will spread.

The first few Aliens series actually had the further adventures of Ripley, Hicks and Newt; however Alien 3 messed that up. However, DH wanted I guess wanted to keep the same basic continuity for their comics (The Aliens had invaded Earth for a while) so a lot of the reprints renamed the characters although the continuity was still kind of weird and they missed a few places. The novel adaptations also did this, but went one step further by making Ripley an android.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

In some ways I'm actually more curious about whether or not they would cross over Aliens/Predator with Star Wars. Doing it with marvel is easy... super hero comics have already crossed over with those franchises.

But it probably won't happen since I believe the comic book stuff is actually supposed to be canon, and there's no way they would cross over Aliens and Predator with official Star Wars canon.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In some ways I'm actually more curious about whether or not they would cross over Aliens/Predator with Star Wars. Doing it with marvel is easy... super hero comics have already crossed over with those franchises.

But it probably won't happen since I believe the comic book stuff is actually supposed to be canon, and there's no way they would cross over Aliens and Predator with official Star Wars canon.
    Marvel crossovers are a given but Star Wars less likely outside of cameos. I could imagine something in the same way as ET being in TPM. Like we see a Predator in the background of a bunch of Jedi or a helmet is among an armory.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Those comics weren't in continuity and, just because the IPs are now owned by Disney, doesn't mean everything needs to be in one big universe
    I don't think anyone is saying it has to be all in the 616 are they?

From what I'm seeing here, most people are saying they want stand alone and self contained A/P stuff.....with maybe an occasional appearance in the 616, or at least something that looks like the 616.

I have no desire to see Jedi Knights or Sith Lords popping up in marvel cosmic events. Marvel will now publish them? Cool. But keep them in their own universe (which can be one in the marvel multiverse).
    Of course not, the Star Wars setting and mythos doesn't fit within the regular Marvel universe. But what exactly about the lore of A/P makes it not fit within Marvel? Is there some big cosmic Predator Force that makes them great hunters and binds the universe together that I'm unaware of?

Like myself and others have said, one of the fun things about A/P is that they fit so easily within so many settings; you can throw them up against Superman, Star Trek, Daredevil, friggin Starship Troopers, whatever, and they fit right in. They're just two alien races in a universe full of alien races.

I feel like it's especially silly to say Aliens don't fit Marvel when we already have the Brood, who are virtually just Aliens who can talk. To say nothing of the fact that Archie crossed over with Predators. Friggin ARCHIE, and you're saying Predators don't fit within Marvel? Come now.

Predator and Alien comics are brutal and gory. Having them in the MU will need them to be neutered to a degree.
    Sorry, no, I'm calling BS on this one. This was true a couple decades ago but hasn't been the case in a long time. DC and Marvel both have people literally torn to shreds on a regular basis, people with their brains ripped out.....censorship *might* go so far as to partially cover a fully skinned body in shadow, and that's it. We are long past the point where Marvel shied away from the kind of violence and gore A/P are known for.

But if you're worried about it, slap a "Mature Readers" label on the book and publish it under Marvel Knights. Problem solved.

Most people are saying, "Yeah! Bring them in so we can see this or that". I'd love to see Punisher throw down with Micheal Myers, but I have no desire to see The Shape in the broader MU.
    Cool, no one is gonna make you read it. But if they do an arc of "Captain Marvel vs Aliens" or "Spidey vs Predators" I'll probably check it out.

Ultimately, what we're talking about here, it has already been done. It was done several times, years ago, with Superman and Batman. Superman's run in with Aliens was even canon and was referenced in the main titles. It was canon in the DCU and didn't damage a thing. If DC can do it there's absolutely no reason Marvel can't.

It's not something I want to see a lot. I don't want to see, I dunno, a Predator joining the Avengers or anything. I don't want to see A/P in the 616 very often at all. But there's no reason for it not to happen, and no reason for it to not be canon.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-05-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Sucks to be Dark Horse, especially since the idea of Alien and Predator crossovers started with them.

I can only assume the Brood will be receiving a Cease and Desist letter from the Xenomorphs.