Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Mike Zeck: Did he regret not doing the regular Punisher 1987 series?

Mike Zeck did the Punisher mini series in 1985-1986. He was finally getting the long eluded fame and fortune. Yet, Zeck retired from illustration and turned down the chance to become a mega star like Jim Lee, Art Adams, and Todd McFarlane. Did Zeck make the worst career move by deciding to turn down the regular Punisher series that would had made him a millionare?

Astonishing Member

Zeck picked a bad time to retire back in 1986. He should had stayed on The Punisher series for as long as he had with Captain America.

His art style reminds me of Rambo: First Blood back in the early 1980

Last edited by Darthfury78; 04-26-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Even though it was a maxi series, I think he's more well known for Secret Wars and creating Black Suit Spider-Man. The Punisher is not a character that Marvel likes to promote that much esp since the MAGA / Trumpster crowd has hijacked his logo. They recently used his new logo in Daredevil.

As for having any regrets, you'd have to ask him. Artists and writers frequenly move on to other projects. He's also well known for doing Kraven's Last Hunt. I think it's more important to recognize his versatility than shoehorn him into one character. Probably just as iconic is his Secret Wars #10 cover, which he recently recolored because he didn't like the original coloring job. It's a cover that's also had many homage versions done over the years.

Zeck's Punisher is definitely an all-time classic (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Zeck picked a bad time to retire back in 1986. He should had stayed on The Punisher series for as long as he had with Captain America.
    Probably. But if he had stayed, then we wouldn't have gotten Jim Lee

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Zeck's Punisher is definitely an all-time classic (IMHO):

Probably. But if he had stayed, then we wouldn't have gotten Jim Lee

Jim Lee illustrated The Punisher War Journal? I wasn't aware that Lee did the regular Punisher series. If Zeck had done a total of 50 to 60 issues, he would had been set for life financially. Just look how Spider-Man did for Todd McFarlane back in the late 1980's to 1991. The Punisher might had propelled Zeck to superstar status as an artist who would had been in demand.

Jim Lee illustrated The Punisher War Journal? I wasn't aware that Lee did the regular Punisher series. If Zeck had done a total of 50 to 60 issues, he would had been set for life financially. Just look how Spider-Man did for Todd McFarlane back in the late 1980's to 1991. The Punisher might had propelled Zeck to superstar status as an artist who would had been in demand.
    Apparently you don't know how the system worked in those days. The creative team didn't get any bonuses, etc for staying on a comic for a while in those days. There was no profit sharing. It was strictly a page rate. That's why guys like Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Marc Silvestri, etc would form their own company, Image Comics. And I think you are overrating the importance of the Punisher comics. I don't think it made anyone a superstar. In any case, in 1984 Mike Zeck worked on most of the issues of Secret Wars, which was the #1 comic each month it came out. Punisher never hit #1 in that era. Note that Capital City was a distributor in those days. Diamond would come into existence later. If anything, Secret Wars raised his profile more so than Punisher. As for monthlies of that era, the X-Men and X factor were Marvel's the top selling comics of that time. In fact just about anything X-Men related. The relaunch of X-Men #1 by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee is considered the biggest seller of all time. That also elevated Jim Lee in the ranks of artists. And don't forget the Amazing Spider-Man which is probably Marvel's all time most consistently popular title.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-26-2022 at 11:28 PM.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

He definitely didn't retire, as he did "Kraven's Last Hunt" and several other stories for Marvel, DC and Image well into 1997.
    It's his covers that stand out the most. He was a staple on G.I. Joe for many years, and has some pretty iconic images from Captain America, Batman, and Deathstroke.

^^^In agreement with you about Zeck's covers for G.I.Joe, they were legendarily awesome (IMHO):

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Apparently you don't know how the system worked in those days. The creative team didn't get any bonuses, etc for staying on a comic for a while in those days. There was no profit sharing. It was strictly a page rate. That's why guys like Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Marc Silvestri, etc would form their own company, Image Comics. And I think you are overrating the importance of the Punisher comics. I don't think it made anyone a superstar. In any case, in 1984 Mike Zeck worked on most of the issues of Secret Wars, which was the #1 comic each month it came out. Punisher never hit #1 in that era. Note that Capital City was a distributor in those days. Diamond would come into existence later. If anything, Secret Wars raised his profile more so than Punisher. As for monthlies of that era, the X-Men and X factor were Marvel's the top selling comics of that time. In fact just about anything X-Men related. The relaunch of X-Men #1 by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee is considered the biggest seller of all time. That also elevated Jim Lee in the ranks of artists. And don't forget the Amazing Spider-Man which is probably Marvel's all time most consistently popular title.
    Zeck retired from doing a regular monthly series full time.

Zeck retired from doing a regular monthly series full time.
    But he continued to work after his stint on Punisher until about the late 1990s. He continues to do a variant cover from time to time for Marvel and he works with Torpedo comics selling prints of his work and signed comics, etc.

Astonishing Member

But he continued to work after his stint on Punisher until about the late 1990s. He continues to do a variant cover from time to time for Marvel and he works with Torpedo comics selling prints of his work and signed comics, etc.
    I wished that Zeck had illustrated 50 issues of the Punisher. Even if it was a yearly 5-part mini series for 10 years back in the 1980 to the late 1990's as this might had worked better in his favor. It would had also been amazing if Zeck had illustrated the interiors of the GI Joe series. Imagine if Marvel had hired Zeck to illustrate GI Joe issues #1 thru # 30...

I wished that Zeck had illustrated 50 issues of the Punisher. Even if it was a yearly 5-part mini series for 10 years back in the 1980 to the late 1990's as this might had worked better in his favor. It would had also been amazing if Zeck had illustrated the interiors of the GI Joe series. Imagine if Marvel had hired Zeck to illustrate GI Joe issues #1 thru # 30...
    Sorry, I wouldn't have been interested in either title. Not my cup of tea so to speak.

Astonishing Member

Sorry, I wouldn't have been interested in either title. Not my cup of tea so to speak.
    If a good writer was onboard. Look at the David Michelinie and Todd Mcfarlane did for ASM. The same could work between Zeck and a very good writer..

^^^Couldn't agree more. Check out his work on Thanos VS. Drax from...

"The Final Flower!"

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-01-2022 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

If a good writer was onboard. Look at the David Michelinie and Todd Mcfarlane did for ASM. The same could work between Zeck and a very good writer..
    I have zero interest in the Punisher. I found his character very contrived. He should have been tossed in prison years ago with the keys tossed away. You know in the real world you go on trial for murderer if a private citizen takes the law in his hands and kills an alleged murderer.