Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Power

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Yeah, another nice issue. I think we needed more of this so we can add something abit more “real” to the family dynamic.

Issue #5, mainly a pretty good all-action issue with a "can't wait" last page. No complaints as this remains a solid series with top notch art.
    Loved the turn on the "helpless wife" trope.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Another nice issue in #6. Looking forward to see where this next ark goes now we’ve had our introduction into the current time status quo.

Issue 7 had nice family moments, and that wonderful splash in the plane. I like how they aren't trying to keep everything secret, going against the usual tropes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Read the FCBD and enjoyed it and just now finished reading the prelude. Even though this isn’t a new idea I’m enjoying what Kirkman is doing and think I will pick up the next volume.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That it wasn't just a cliche

Hey @thwhtGuardian,
    11 issues post-prelude. You still reading this?
    Has your like/enjoyment of the book changed?

Note I asked about enjoyment as against opinion (i.e. not whether you still find it a cliche or not).

Issue 11 was a great All Action book. I am looking forward to the big climax in #12. Will we finally see the Dragon?

I just read vol 3 the other day. This continues to be one of my favourite titles.

Spectacular Member

Over in December. #30. Kinda disappointing, but I get it. Oh well. No more Image. Down to 4.

Such a good book. I hope he and Samnee work together again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    Over in December. #30. Kinda disappointing, but I get it.
    One the one hand, aww! On the other hand, stories are supposed to have endings.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Sure, if it's a great read and it's organic to wrap it up, why not. But I'll say for me with comics, especially ones with fighting etc, with the decrompressed nature it feels like they fly by. Invincible is one of my favorites ever, and that felt like 144 issues was on the short side. How much of an epic life story kind of journey can be told in 30 issues (plus the OGN) in this style? I guess I'll find out! I've got a few Fire Power trades on my pile.

I was similarly a bit surprised to see Oblivion Song wrap up at 36 issues. Maybe this length will be a sweet spot for Kirkman. But I also wonder if he'll hit triple digits again. And because I'm a years of backlog kind of guy, if something wraps up within a few years I probably haven't started it yet. And stuff like Invincible and Walking Dead got more and more popular as word of mouth spread over the years. I got into them around 2006 or 2007, 3 or 4 years in coincidentally. But maybe that was a more unique time for Kirkman doing those long form tales.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 09-09-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    One the one hand, aww! On the other hand, stories are supposed to have endings.
    True enough. I think it is more because some people feel the story should go longer. Me, I'm good with it ending while still wanting more. There's other series out there that I dropped because it felt like the damn things were being extended just to keep publishing rather than having a story to tell.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    True enough. I think it is more because some people feel the story should go longer. Me, I'm good with it ending while still wanting more. There's other series out there that I dropped because it felt like the damn things were being extended just to keep publishing rather than having a story to tell.
    Yeah, I'm happy for them to avoid that.

Oblivion Song came to a natural ending. This book will end this story, but I can see enough there for a sequel if they want to come back.