Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Power

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Read the Prelude, and FCBD issue this weekend. Good reads, this is certainly the first time I've gotten in at the ground floor of a Kirkman venture, and have actually wanted to continue.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Spectacular Member

Read both yesterday. Was very pleased with it overall.
    Are they supposed to publish this in single normal sized issues, or more the the prelude (tpb size)?

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Read both yesterday. Was very pleased with it overall.
    Are they supposed to publish this in single normal sized issues, or more the the prelude (tpb size)?
    Believe it will be normal issues going forward.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

This is great news. I haven't had a title to collect in awhile, but with this team it's a no brainer. The description makes me think of street fighter.

BANNED

i didn't love issues 1 and 2. Disappointing after the very strong opening issue.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Yeah, a little bit. Issue 1 is literally just the FCBD issue printed on nicer paper with some interviews, and design pages. My shop owner let me know, but I can get into those kinds of things easily enough. The second issue was just a single fight scene, a well choreographed fight but it didn't actually move the plot anywhere. I'm admittedly reading primarily for Samnee so I wasn't too disappointed, but let's pick up the pace next time.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I wonder if Kirkman secretly wishes he had released this in trade format for every arc. Would’ve been a nice thing to see, and not unlike him to try something new.

I’m liking this though. It’s fun, which is what comics should be.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    i didn't love issues 1 and 2. Disappointing after the very strong opening issue.
    I'm in the same boat.

Despite the premise being right up my alley what Kirkman has delivered thus far seems more than just a little regurgitated; we started with the same western orphan training with the greatest martial masters in the world while looking for answers about their past, we see him find the mystical mountain top kung-fu temple, we see him learn the top secret move no one else could master(and it's fire based like Iron Fist to boot) and then we get him in a perfect suburban life only for his past to come back and attack him with a vengeance. I'll grant you that the last bit is slightly novel but only a little as after you get over the initial shock of the change in location you can't escape the feeling that it's just a play on Campbell's hero's journey( specifically the refusal of the call) with the added twist of the mysticism of adulthood in that the children don't know that their parents are secretly kung fu heroes.
    I really don't remember the last time I had my expectations so thoroughly dashed...I just don't know what Kirkman is doing here, it's all just so terribly cliche(right down to the oh so shocking ending where the big bad is revealed to be the old master) that it can't be accidental...but I just can't figure out what one can hope to accomplish starting with so many cliches.

Samnee's art is the only real saving grace here, every image he puts on the page is a real work of art that you just have to stop and savor. From the solemn, silent mountain tops, to the beautifully detailed temple architecture and the amazing action every element is just perfect... which ultimately just makes the book all the more disappointing as the plot just isn't worthy of the art and if only it was just an even halfway interesting story the book would be a thrill.

I'm not dissapointed. Yeah it was mostly a silent fight scene, but it was a pretty damn good one. Kirkman and Samnee talk about this at the end of #2. Kirkman says he wants to keep the type of pacing the OGN had. Even if it means the story is spread over months instead of one 90 page chunk. I also think with the hints of what might of really happened with Chou Feng and Ling at the Temple, the reveal is more "things are not as they seem", rather than finding out that Wei Lun is the big villain.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I'm not dissapointed. Yeah it was mostly a silent fight scene, but it was a pretty damn good one. Kirkman and Samnee talk about this at the end of #2. Kirkman says he wants to keep the type of pacing the OGN had. Even if it means the story is spread over months instead of one 90 page chunk. I also think with the hints of what might of really happened with Chou Feng and Ling at the Temple, the reveal is more "things are not as they seem", rather than finding out that Wei Lun is the big villain.
    I'm not bothered by the fight scene, it was beautifully drawn, it's the fact that everything is just so cliched storywise and that has nothing to do with pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not bothered by the fight scene, it was beautifully drawn, it's the fact that everything is just so cliched storywise and that has nothing to do with pacing.
    Unless what you think is happening isn't at all.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unless what you think is happening isn't at all.
    Which would be another cliche, so not an improvement.

Not sure what story you want? I liked the first two issues enough that I will give them lots of leeway.

Not sure what story you want? I liked the first two issues enough that I will give them lots of leeway.
    I want a story that isn't cliched, I don't think that's really asking for all that much.

Incredible Member

I'm surprised by the reaction to the first 2 issues.

Granted FP opened up with a bang re. the prelude but I thought these issues were a good follow up. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

The complaints of it being "cliche"? Well sure this type of story has been told before but so has many others. Doesn't mean it can't be good. Also has it been told in a comicbook?

Also digging the family dynamics of the series which is something not often found in comicbooks these days.

Will definitely be reading more.