Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fire Power

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You may be right, but I think it is too early to judge. But no matter what happens from here on, you will say it is cliche. The Temple good or bad, cliche. Scorched Earth good or bad, cliche. Trains his kids or keeps his skills secret, cliche. Stays in Ohio or travels back to China, cliche. Could you give a scenario you don't think would be cliche, given the GN set up?
    It's not my job as the reader to come up with something original...that's the writer's job.

I get it, you like it and that's totally fine, we all like different things...but my critique is valid as well and it is a critique based on structure not taste.

Just finished the second issue, good books. I'm glad he has a family, it's so rare to see a good supporting cast nowadays.

I finally read issue #2 and I don't understand why there is such a schism between those who liked it and those who didn't. While the silent pages aren't necessarily my cup of tea, they were fine for what was being done storywise.

And once the words started in full, I thought it was an interesting way to reveal some of the new status quo after the graphic novel intro.

I liked it and I'll continue reading.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not my job as the reader to come up with something original...that's the writer's job.

I get it, you like it and that's totally fine, we all like different things...but my critique is valid as well and it is a critique based on structure not taste.
    You do have every right to not like the book. My point was you seem to be saying that no matter what turn this book takes, you will view it as cliche. Outside of it's all Aliens, which to me is rather cliche.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You do have every right to not like the book. My point was you seem to be saying that no matter what turn this book takes, you will view it as cliche. Outside of it's all Aliens, which to me is rather cliche.
    I was saying the turns taken so far are cliches, which objectively they have been and that because there have been so many so far with such consistency I expect that it won't change which is much different than saying nothing it can do could ever be anything but a cliche.

Could I be wrong? Certainly, I don't claim to know the future...but I just don't share the hope that you do that things will move beyond what we've gotten so far.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I for one certainly wasn’t expecting to see the book jump years into the future to see the same protagonist now settled down and with a family. Nothing in the book prior said to me it would be going that way.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I for one certainly wasn’t expecting to see the book jump years into the future to see the same protagonist now settled down and with a family. Nothing in the book prior said to me it would be going that way.
    ^^ Yup! Same here.

Reading through the comments it's evident that as with most things, one's enjoyment of the series boils down to, amongst others, (1) personal tastes and (2) expectations - irrespective of how founded/unfounded they are.

Notwithstanding, looking forward to reading more. Not sure Kirkman has disappointed me yet. And of course Samnee's art...

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I certainly wasn't expecting it either and it originally made me feel like we were going to get something really interesting, but it ultimately just did what it did before and fell in into playing to the same plot beats as True Lies/The Pacifier/The Spy Next Door and dozens of other films and books with out out saying something new.

But he is not living a secret life like True Lies/Spy Next Door. And his wife knows who he is. He has given up his life at the Temple after whatever happened there. I guess Kirkman could have turned it into Blondie, with nothing of his former life coming back, but for this to be a Kung Fu book, there needs to be ...Kung Fu. Unless he fights Aliens.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

But he is not living a secret life like True Lies/Spy Next Door. And his wife knows who he is. He has given up his life at the Temple after whatever happened there. I guess Kirkman could have turned it into Blondie, with nothing of his former life coming back, but for this to be a Kung Fu book, there needs to be ...Kung Fu. Unless he fights Aliens.
    How is he not living a secret life? His kids, parents and neighbors all don't seem to know.

How is he not living a secret life? His kids, parents and neighbors all don't seem to know.
    They don't know about his early life. He is not living another life. While pretending to be a Suburban Dad. His past life is catching up to him. More "Fastest Gun Alive" than True Lives.

They don't know about his early life. He is not living another life. While pretending to be a Suburban Dad. His past life is catching up to him. More "Fastest Gun Alive" than True Lives.
    That seems like splitting hairs at this point as the basic mechanics of the plot type and indeed the purpose of doing it in either case are pretty much the same.

That seems like splitting hairs at this point as the basic mechanics of the plot type and indeed the purpose of doing it in either case are pretty much the same.
    To me they are different plots.

For those who thought the fight was too much in issue 2, issue 3 does a deep dive on the family. Mom on patrol dad with the kids then the family together. We see another past character (don't want to spoil anything) Reading this issue had me smiling, loved it

What do we think of issue #4.
    I thought it continues to be different from the typical Kung Fu action story. Concentrating on the marriage and family in this issue.