Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Definitely not a fan of the art, but Northstar's personality is on point so I'll give it a try.
    exactly what i was going to say.

also,
    It’s a few page preview, let’s see the entire book and then decide if it we like / dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    I don’t understand the negativity either. It’s just 3 pages but we’ve already learned something new about The Five/resurrection protocol and basically learned the reason right from the start why the X-Factor team will be needed and established. That’s a very good start imo, other series needed a few issues for that. I’m glad Leah jumps in quickly and doesn’t waste time. Plus Northstar’s characterization is very spot on.

Don’t see the problem with being ‘too wordy’ either; it was because it already explained why the resurrection can’t just happen easily, it wasn’t just pointless text. Besides all of Hickman’s writing has been very wordy so far, even Hellions was a little bit too. I think it’s maybe the positioning of the text because the bubbles take up half the panels…
    The characterization is ok. The dialogue is very clunky. They way that Jean-Paul and Hope go right into an argument is melodramatic and not very well written. Jean-Paul is talking about Aurora like he's at the DMV and his car registration is expired and Hope doesn't respond to hearing about a death like a human would. Maaaaybe this is to show how everyone is desensitized to death on Krakoa, but I don't give them that much credit.

I mean, dying in Krakoa right now is an administrative inconvenience.

Astonishing Member

I mean I liked it. Don't see a problem with the art or dialouge.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If I was being overly critical...
    I would say the setup for the premise is very contrived...even more so than usual for an X-book.

Jean-Paul has a "vision", "feels" that Aurora is dead and without giving it any thought as to "who, how, why, where"...without any definitive information...he runs half-cocked demanding that they resurrect her?
    Even accounting for his standard JP"attitude" that's really forced.

Like I said, if I was being overly critical...
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-03-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If I was being overly critical...
    I would say the setup for the premise is very contrived...even more so than usual for an X-book.

Jean-Paul has a "vision", "feels" that Aurora is dead and without giving it any thought as to "who, how, why, where"...without any definitive information...he runs half-cocked demanding that they resurrect her?
    Even accounting for his standard JP"attitude" that's really forced.

Like I said, if I was being overly critical...
    I think that's fair. Don't know much about the character JP or Aurora so I can't comment lol do they usually have some sort of telepathic bond?

No telepathic bond at least not to my knowledge.
    John Byrne didn't establish one when he wrote them in Alpha Flight...or else they would have "known" of each other while growing up after being separated from birth...and when they reconnected in AF.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    i got this on my pull list and was hesitant to pick this series up..

but preview looks terrible =/
    Yeah, same, think I may just pass on this one.

No telepathic bond at least not to my knowledge.
    John Byrne didn't establish one when he wrote them in Alpha Flight...or else they would have "known" of each other while growing up after being separated from birth...and when they reconnected in AF.
    I'm not aware of one either, but writers loooove to cram that trope in with twins - especially opposite gender twins for some reason. I think I have seen it more with them than with identical twins - it certainly feels like it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I think that's fair. Don't know much about the character JP or Aurora so I can't comment lol do they usually have some sort of telepathic bond?
    IIRC, they had some irregular awareness of each other under Byrne and Mantlo. Lobdell turned it into a full-blown twin link late in the first Alpha Flight series so that the team had a convenient way to track down a kidnapped Aurora. Like most plot-convenient powers, it comes and goes depending on if a writer needs it or not.

ETA:

Here we go. I think this is the first time Marvel did the full-on "I sense their presence" bit with the Beaubier twins. This from AF #104, after Aurora had been kidnapped by Headlok.

Last edited by Anduinel; 07-03-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I think that whomever she connects with/enhances/activates their powers starts getting empathically manipulated by her
    at this point I'll go along with whatever people tell me Hope's powers are lol. I wonder if she connects in some way to the people she resurrects then? It'd be cool to explore her connection to krakoa as a mutant society vs. Doug's connection to Krakoa the island

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Can't wait for another Sage cameo showcasing her problems in actually keeping track of who has entered Krakoa. Poor thing. Even the perfect Krakoan society still keeps some of its members struggling in low-end jobs I guess...
    Sage really got a raw deal. living in paradise and she's gotten a single night off smh . the unsung hero truly

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I do like that this team is spontaneously assembled by Jean-Paul instead of being officially formed by the Quiet Council. I wonder what the other members' personal motivations for helping him are.
    Lol yes I'm such a sucker for this rag-tag kind of deal. And it'll give a deeper insight into how characters feel about Krakoa on an individual level. Love

...and I stand corrected on the telepathic bond issue. (I never read the Lobdell AF).

I like the preview to be honest. I hope we get to see more of the Five here.

...and I stand corrected on the telepathic bond issue. (I never read the Lobdell AF).
    it's still dumb though lol. "oh no, I felt her die. oh wait she just texted me from Home Depot".

Finally, I feel like I've been waiting for forever
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8