Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

I really miss Excalibur. More specifically the original Claremont and Davis run. That was a very fun book and it was just pure in a way that current X-books just can't seem to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Quite a few Excaliber fans, too...
    It was a great book (at least the first 25 issues or so). Can't say I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    It was a great book (at least the first 25 issues or so). Can't say I'm surprised.
    I thought it had three really strong eras which were, unfortunately, broken up by a lot of filler: Claremont-Davis, Davis-Davis, and Ellis-various. Three distinctive writers, some great art, and three really fun runs. Most books that go on so long aren't that lucky, so I guess we should count our good fortune...but I still miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    When the series was announced, I was genuinely looking forward to seeing the direction the X-Men might have gone if he had stayed on board. Then the book started and I saw that Claremont wasn't actually doing what he would have done back then but instead doing anything and everything that hadn't been done by anyone else. It was awful and it crapped all over my childhood as that era was when I first started reading the X-titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    Yeah, me, too. 90-91 ish. I think I read an interview by Claremont after the series had been picked up saying he was specifically not going to use old ideas but make new stories instead. Drag as that's not what this was supposed to be, but oh, well.
    Probably my biggest regret and disappointment. I so wanted to see Claremont's original plans executed in actual comics just to see how they would have ended up. I was really interested in the idea that we could have gotten to finally see those stories that he always talked about. And then we got... Evil Storm impostor and a lot of trolling of Marvel and things that nobody had done because they were awful ideas! I have hard time coming up with another book that failed to deliver on it's premise as hard. Sure everyone knew the plans but I would have been interested to read them if he had gone with them. But he didn't and I had no interest in his weird fan fiction-y stories.

Also, generally, I see multiple comments how a lot of these canceled titles had run their course by the time they got the axe, and that it was long overdue. I agree that this is true, but I think people are more reminiscing about the books in their prime. My biggest example is Exiles. As much as I loved it for its first few years, it's death was long overdue. Frankly, I think it was poor quality for longer than it was ever good at least IMO.
    Yep, most books either end prematurely without ever receiving the praise they deserve or then they succeed and go on long enough to turn into shit. I think Exiles is one of those books that could be good if they shook it up every once in a while and it might have been salvageable if they hadn't given it to Claremont. After his run that title had absolutely no chance of working ever again.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

I think Exiles was turned to garbage long before Claremont took over though he did it no favors. Winnick's last arc was kind of like him throwing up middle fingers and walking out the door, and Austen did reasonably following up with his Hyperion story, but I thought Bedard's run was a huge letdown. He took apart everything I liked about the book and threw it away, and I hate what he did with a few characters. Claremont just did Claremonty things, but the book was well ruined before he got his hands on it. Now, what he did with Nocturne over in New Excalibur is nearly unforgivable, but I digress.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    Probably my biggest regret and disappointment. I so wanted to see Claremont's original plans executed in actual comics just to see how they would have ended up. I was really interested in the idea that we could have gotten to finally see those stories that he always talked about. And then we got... Evil Storm impostor and a lot of trolling of Marvel and things that nobody had done because they were awful ideas! I have hard time coming up with another book that failed to deliver on it's premise as hard. Sure everyone knew the plans but I would have been interested to read them if he had gone with them. But he didn't and I had no interest in his weird fan fiction-y stories.
    I would have been interested to see SOME of those ideas on the page...they weren't all good ones. But I definitely could have done without the stories we did get with highlights like Jean's furry fetish, Kitty as Wolverine II, the return of "Stormy," and killing off Wolverine only to seemingly still make the book all about him. That last one has me really worried about the direction of the x-books after the upcoming "death" of Woverine.

New X-men : P

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I'll also say I miss Gillen's Uncanny X-Men. He had a good understanding of the characters and wrote a cracking' Sinister.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

New X-Men, definitely

Quote Originally Posted by insidemyhead View Post
    New X-Men, definitely
    yep this is one I miss the most. I wish Surge would join the Uncanny X-Men just so I can see her and X-23 kicking ass together again
    Last edited by ceroxide; 05-13-2014 at 12:33 PM.

X-treme X-men
    Generation X
    District X

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    yep this is one I miss the most. I wish Surge would join the Uncanny X-Men just so I can see her and X-23 kicking ass together again
    I did love New X-Men, and some of my favorite X-characters come from there, but Surge always puzzled me in that book. I read much later on Wikipedia that she had super-speed, and was like, 'What? I read thirty issues with her as team leader, and all she did was throw lightning and be cranky!'

If I'd seen her being an electro-speedster, I might have associated her with Jolt, from the Thunderbolts, and fallen totally in love with her!

Man, marvel could sure use some good teen hero books, right about now. New X-Men, Young Avengers, Avengers Academy, Runaways. There's probably three entire teams worth of great X-teens out there, waiting for a book. X-23 could even follow in Logan's footsteps and be on all three teams at the same time.

Excalibur and alpha flight

Excalibur was definitely the one I miss the most. The first part of the series was fun and different. I wanna see some kind of reunion.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Amazing Member

Any series that haven't received a proper end, had the interest of focusing on a new aspect of the X-universe and/or featuring new or F-list characters: Muties, X-Statix, X-Men Unlimited, District X and Brotherhood were interesting. (Even if Brotherhood is often criticized, and could have been far greater) in the same way, the disappearance of the mini-stories of the X-Men since Messiah Complex were often enjoyable, but almost no more since the Second Coming (I recall seeing some during the Curse of Mutants).