Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I certainly wouldn’t say its a lesser medium, but I think it does show how limited the West can view animation. Nothing wrong with all-ages fare, of course, I love a good Pixar film as much as the next guy but I think Western animation can be so much more, imo. Its rather strange to me that in the West we’re open to doing comics, shows, and live-action shows that can be serious adult fares that deal with heavy content but we’re reluctant to do that with animation, at least not as much. Too many people in this country don’t take it as seriously as live-action and dismiss anything animated as being just for kids or simply there to laugh at, and from my view thats a shallow perspective to have, imo.

If we’re talking television, they’re not much to chew that aren’t violent R-rated comedies like Rick And Morty or more children based comedies like Spongebob. I think you could argue that shows like Rick And Morty and Steven Universe, even though they’re comedies, they still show how innovative and experimental Western animation given all the praise I’ve seen about those shows but for myself I’m curious if we’lll get crime dramas in animated form like horror, war dramas, and stuff in animated form. Something like Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones is what IÂ’m kind of thinking here. I can list off a fair share of anime equivalents like Death Note and Berserk.
    I see.

Do you mind listing some of your favorites you’ve seen?
    I thought Batman: Hush was really good. Kinda surprised that DC didn't save the story for a big screen adaptation. (Suppose the animated one could've been theatrical, too, with a bigger budget and all that). I really like Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, although I will concede there's noting really deep about it. While Justice League vs The Fatal Five feels more like an episode of the cartoon series it continues, I was engaged and really liked seeing Jessica Cruz being brought to life onscreen. The two '60s Batman movies were pretty good as continuations of the TV show. While uneven, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines had some good sequences and ideas, although I might admire it more for the premise then the execution. Mask of the Phantasm is, of course, a must see, but that was made long before DC's current's DTV series, so probably shouldn't count.

Kinda forgot how few I'd actually seen (although the only one coming to mind that I've never wanted to re-see was Assault on Arkham). Need to get around to Gods and Monsters and Red Son when I get the chance.

Those are good, and well made but I’m specifically talking something that is a straightforward drama. Specifically in the case of Grave Of Fireflies that’s a heavy human drama that ends in utter tragedy, I can’t recall animation made in the west that’s similar. I can think of live-action equivalents like Del Toro’s Pans Labriyth but I can’t in animated form. That isn’t to imply western animation is inferior or its bad, but I do think the West should be pushing the medium further.
    Wasn't super familiar with the movies you were citing, so I guess I misunderstood what you were looking for.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, as has been said there's nothing inferior about Western animation in terms of its ability to make you feel or tackle important issues, but the scope is limited. It's all family friendly comedies basically. No r-rated horrors, crime dramas, serious type flicks that you don't take your kids to see like we have in abundance in live action. What if Joker had been animated? Or Get Out? A Quiet Place? The Purge? Walking Dead? Animation here doesn't do films or shows like that, it's all saved for live action.

We need a Breaking Bad the Animated Series.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 07-08-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, as has been said there's nothing inferior about Western animation in terms of its ability to make you feel or tackle important issues, but the scope is limited. It's all family friendly comedies basically. No r-rated horrors, crime dramas, serious type flicks that you don't take your kids to see like we have in abundance in live action. What if Joker had been animated? Or Get Out? A Quiet Place? The Purge? Walking Dead? Animation here doesn't do films or shows like that, it's all saved for live action.

We need a Breaking Bad the Animated Series.
    No, we don’t need a BB animated series(that’d be pointless) but I think western animation should be able to do a anti-story like BB or the Sopranos. Look at the Japanese anime equivalents to those like Death Note and Code Geass which both have evil, self-aggrandizing sociopaths as their protagonists. We need an animation industry in the West like Japan does that allows a lot of variety in terms of tones, and types of stories it tells. Especially with television animations. Plus, give me some darn good animation. Too many television western animation I found to be pretty average in terms of animation quality. Even Young Justice which is a good show looks like **** compared to what Japan does. I haven’t bothered watching new YJ because I think the animation looks bad especially compared to something like this!

There’s been a few gems here and there, Korra is good, and Primal and S5 of Jack have been awesome, and the last season of Clone Wars(especially the last few episodes were movie-quality through and through) but they’re so few and far between when compared the enormity of what Japan does.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-08-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

No, we don’t need a BB animated series(that’d be pointless) but I think western animation should be able to do a anti-story like BB or the Sopranos. Look at the Japanese anime equivalents to those like Death Note and Code Geass which both have evil, self-aggrandizing sociopaths as their protagonists. We need an animation industry in the West like Japan does that allows a lot of variety in terms of tones, and types of stories it tells. Especially with television animations. Plus, give me some darn good animation. Too western animation cuts corners on the animation. Even Young Justice which is a good looks like **** compared to what Japan does. I haven’t bothered watching new YJ because I think the animation looks bad especially compared to something like this!

There’s been a few gems here and there, Korra is good, and Primal and S5 of Jack have been awesome, and the last season of Clone Wars(especially the last few episodes were movie-quality through and through) but they’re so few and far between when compared the enormity of what Japan does.
    I didn't literally mean they actually do an animated version of that series, more we need something like it. That type of thing.

Astonishing Member

One major hurdle that seems to prevent western animation from realizing its full potential as a serious medium on the level of live action is the the attitudes towards animation is still too backwards and steeped in the traditional notion that animation is for kids, as well as the fact that most mainstream people seem to prefer the medium where’s they’re real living people on screen as opposed to drawings animated by actors.

I must admit seeing Iron Man animated flying in the suit for the first time(even if animated) isn’t going to have the same visceral level of seeing a live action Iron Man living and breathing with real world cinematography flying. There’s something attractive about making the unreal feel like it could be real, and that’s one advantage that live-action has over animation.

- Charles Schultz.

One major hurdle that seems to prevent western animation from realizing its full potential as a serious medium on the level of live action is the the attitudes towards animation is still too backwards and steeped in the traditional notion that animation is for kids, as well as the fact that most mainstream people seem to prefer the medium where’s they’re real living people on screen as opposed to drawings animated by actors.

I must admit seeing Iron Man animated flying in the suit for the first time(even if animated) isn’t going to have the same visceral level of seeing a live action Iron Man living and breathing with real world cinematography flying. There’s something attractive about making the unreal feel like it could be real, and that’s one advantage that live-action has over animation.
    That still doesn't mean animation should only be for kids and families though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That still doesn't mean animation should only be for kids and families though.
    Obviously not, but I never said they should, just providing rationales for why mature animation is not a priority in the West. People you and me would want/desire for animation to broaden its horizons but that doesn’t mean the average person doesn’t have much affinity for animation thinks the same, and this is the majority. Most of the mainstream seems to want serious stories only in live-action, not in animation. The Western perspective on animation is too backwards, and limiting hence why there is little effort in making different types of animation that can darker and deeper than what is seen in live-action or heck even in comics. The mindset on animation needs to change, before we can see something that’s more akin to Japan.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-09-2020 at 09:25 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Obviously not, but I never the should, just providing rationales for why mature animation is not a priority in the West. People you and me would want/desire for animation to broaden its horizons but that doesn’t mean the average person doesn’t have much affinity for animation thinks the same, and this is the majority. Most of the mainstream seems to want serious stories only in live-action, not in animation. The Western perspective on animation is too backwards, and limiting hence why there is little effort in making different types of animation that can darker and deeper than what is seen in live-action or heck even in comics. The mindset on animation needs to change, before we can see something that’s more akin to Japan.
    Well, it will only change if they are exposed to more mature animation.