Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sony Making More Animated Films for Teens and Adults (pg-13 and R movies)

Japan has been doing this for generations. Nice of you to catch up sony. Sony will start making big screen films for teens and adults (pg-13 and rated R) as well as kids movies. Three films announced.

Expect more spider-verse type teen films also.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/sony-pi...es-1202969612/

Good. I don't know if any of them will be good, but cartoons in the West need to get out of the children ghetto they've been in. I mean obviously there is nothing wrong with cartoons for a younger audience, but animation should never be for just one audience. There should be animated films for children, families, teens, and adults. Live action isn't reserved for just one age bracket after all.

Also whatever the age rating if they make anything half as good as Into the Spider-Verse I am there!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I figured more animated movies will get greenlit given they are the only type of movie that can probably be produced from home given the covid situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Good. I don't know if any of them will be good, but cartoons in the West need to get out of the children ghetto they've been in. I mean obviously there is nothing wrong with cartoons for a younger audience, but animation should never be for just one audience. There should be animated films for children, families, teens, and adults. Live action isn't reserved for just one age bracket after all.

Also whatever the age rating if they make anything half as good as Into the Spider-Verse I am there!
    I think they as much need to get away from the "older animation = raunchy adult comedy" paradigm as they do the idea that animation is only for kids.

If Sony can deliver adult or older-oriented films with diverse stories, styles, and tones then I'll call that a win.

Watching animes makes me realize that North American animation has fallen so far behind. A friend recommended an anime based on volleyball. Volleyball!!!

I welcome more experimentation with animation.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they as much need to get away from the "older animation = raunchy adult comedy" paradigm as they do the idea that animation is only for kids.

If Sony can deliver adult or older-oriented films with diverse stories, styles, and tones then I'll call that a win.
    Oh yeah, I'm so used to the Western cartoons = for kids and anime for adults having a wide range of themes and tones I forgot when there are Western animated films for adults it's more raunchy like Cool World and Sausage Fest. And while there's again nothing wrong with that, there should be more than that yes. Some legit violent horror for example, or more shocking crime drama, or something sexy yet disturbing thriller stuff or - you get the point, the full gamut of adult cinema genres. Diversity of stories is what I want too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Watching animes makes me realize that North American animation has fallen so far behind. A friend recommended an anime based on volleyball. Volleyball!!!

I welcome more experimentation with animation.
    And Pixar has people crying over toys and fish, DC has been making PG-13 and R-rated animation for years, and Sony Animation made a comic book that was a literal comic book onscreen -- not to mention that there's a reason that "Disney" is another word for "animation" and Looney Tunes is still a thing.

There may always be room for more experimentation and pushing the envelope, but here in North America, we're not out for the count just yet.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Into the Spiderverse was one of, and if not the most adult oriented Spiderman movies ever done. Don't worry too much about the audience.

I'll definitely keep an out of for this. Hopefully it'll continue to reduce the stigma of "animation is for kids." I'd love to see more animated films aimed at adults in theaters (once the pandemic dies down).

Oh yeah, I'm so used to the Western cartoons = for kids and anime for adults having a wide range of themes and tones I forgot when there are Western animated films for adults it's more raunchy like Cool World and Sausage Fest. And while there's again nothing wrong with that, there should be more than that yes. Some legit violent horror for example, or more shocking crime drama, or something sexy yet disturbing thriller stuff or - you get the point, the full gamut of adult cinema genres. Diversity of stories is what I want too.
    Heck, some of the most successful Japanese animated films of the past year have been, at their heart, relationship dramas so that's definitely something there that can be pulled off in animation as well as it can in live action.

Yeah not just japan but films your your name and weathering with you were hits in other parts of the world. The detective conan movies are huge hits in parts of the world and conan even crushed avengers age of ulton at the box office in japan!

They are not adult family guy like dirty jokes films but have real stories that draw you into the movie and are for teens and adults as well as kids.

Heck weathering with you and our hero both did great at the american box office limited release with dragonball and others coming in first place for a small time in only a few 100 screenings!

How much more would these had made in wide release?

Astonishing Member

Interesting news, however I should point out that I don’t know if this will be enough to lessen the stigma against animation in the West. I’d argue these studios potentially risk these movies underperforming rather badly if they put them out in animated form since the problem is there isn’t so much a stigma against animation, is so much there is a stigma against a serious, non-comedy driven animated content in the West. Stuff like Titans AD were embarrassing failures that simply didn’t attract the interest of most of the public into seeing it.

So I kind of implore anyone hoping this pandemic will lead to a uptick in serious animation in the West like we see in Japan to keep their expectations in check. Japanese and Western attitudes towards animation have always been different, and the most people still prefer to watch a serious story play out live-action with real people on screen as opposed to animation where it’s drawn. Sure, there will be studios like Sonic more open to making these type of animation for theaters but the question is will the mainstream audience who largely dismisses animation as being for children be swayed to watch them like they would for a Pixar or Dreamwork feature? I’m not so sure.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-08-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And Pixar has people crying over toys and fish, DC has been making PG-13 and R-rated animation for years, and Sony Animation made a comic book that was a literal comic book onscreen -- not to mention that there's a reason that "Disney" is another word for "animation" and Looney Tunes is still a thing.
    Pixar movies are certainly diverse but they all fall within in that bracket of being family friendly comedies (for the most part) What many are saying is that animation be treated as a serious medium on level of live-action in the West similarly to how it’s viewed in Japan where you can have stuff in multiple genres like slice-of-life, romance, Sci-fi, and horror that’s released in theaters as live-action here in the West. That isn’t to say Pixar doesn’t do great stuff, and to be fair a lot of their stuff can be just as deep, if not deeper than most live-action movies but this country’s attitude default attitude for that is animation aimed at a younger target audience.

DC’s animated stuff isn’t a great example, they’re mostly just hit-or-miss stuff that largely don’t see a theatrical release, and the output pales in comparison to something like the Japanese market that puts out multiple serious animated movies a year about varying things. And it’s mostly just Batman and Superman stuff with some Justice League thrown in. Japan is making animated shows and movies about serial killers and terrioists like the West makes that in live-action, and that’s the norm in that country. I want that.

You’d be hardpressed to name a Western animated movie like Grave Of The Fireflies or Princess Mononoke. Serious animation that explores darker stuff just doesn’t get that much traction in the West, at least on a mainstream level. That needs to change badly.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-08-2020 at 11:33 AM.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Pixar movies are certainly diverse but they all fall within in that bracket of being family friendly comedies (for the most part) What many are saying is that animation be treated as a serious medium on level of live-action in the West similarly to how it’s viewed in Japan where you can have stuff in multiple genres like slice-of-life, romance, Sci-fi, and horror that’s released in theaters as live-action here in the West. That isn’t to say Pixar doesn’t do great stuff, and to be fair a lot of their stuff can be just as deep, if not deeper than most live-action movies but this country’s attitude default attitude for that is animation aimed at a younger target audience.
    Does being appropriate for all ages automatically that it's not a serious medium? I mean, the Christopher Robin movie was family-friendly, but I think that one was targeted at adults who'd grown up with Winnie-the-Pooh more then for children. Also, the themes aren't the only way animation experiments and all that. I mean, Looney Tunes are anything but deep, but the skill of the comedic timing and animation are why they're considered classics today. (Also, thinking out loud, what about TV animation. Where does that fit in, would you say?)

DC’s animated stuff isn’t a great example, they’re mostly just hit-or-miss stuff that largely don’t see a theatrical release, and the output pales in comparison to something like the Japanese market that puts out multiple serious animated movies a year about varying things. And it’s mostly just Batman and Superman stuff with some Justice League thrown in.
    Have liked the ones I've seen, but fair enough that it's a more limited audience.

Japan is making animated shows and movies about serial killers and terrioists like the West makes that in live-action, and that’s the norm in that country. I want that.
    Oh.

You’d be hardpressed to name a Western animated movie like Grave Of The Fireflies or Princess Mononoke. Serious animation that explores darker stuff just doesn’t get that much traction in the West, at least on a mainstream level. That needs to change badly.
    Well, Inside Out, Lion King, and Zootopia come to mind. That was also Don Bluth's bread and butter.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Does being appropriate for all ages automatically that it's not a serious medium? I mean, the Christopher Robin movie was family-friendly, but I think that one was targeted at adults who'd grown up with Winnie-the-Pooh more then for children. Also, the themes aren't the only way animation experiments and all that. I mean, Looney Tunes are anything but deep, but the skill of the comedic timing and animation are why they're considered classics today.
    I certainly wouldn’t say its a lesser medium, but I think it does show how limited the West can view animation. Nothing wrong with all-ages fare, of course, I love a good Pixar film as much as the next guy but I think Western animation can be so much more, imo. Its rather strange to me that in the West we’re open to doing comics, shows, and live-action shows that can be serious adult fares that deal with heavy content but we’re reluctant to do that with animation, at least not as much. Too many people in this country don’t take it as seriously as live-action and dismiss anything animated as being just for kids or simply there to laugh at, and from my view thats a shallow perspective to have, imo.

(Also, thinking out loud, what about TV animation. Where does that fit in, would you say?)
    If we’re talking television, they’re not much to chew that aren’t violent R-rated comedies like Rick And Morty or more children based comedies like Spongebob. I think you could argue that shows like Rick And Morty and Steven Universe, even though they’re comedies, they still show how innovative and experimental Western animation given all the praise I’ve seen about those shows but for myself I’m curious if we’lll get crime dramas in animated form like horror, war dramas, and stuff in animated form. Something like Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones is what IÂ’m kind of thinking here. I can list off a fair share of anime equivalents like Death Note and Berserk.

Have liked the ones I've seen, but fair enough that it's a more limited audience.
    Do you mind listing some of your favorites you’ve seen?

Well, Inside Out, Lion King, and Zootopia come to mind. That was also Don Bluth's bread and butter.
    Those are good, and well made but I’m specifically talking something that is a straightforward drama. Specifically in the case of Grave Of Fireflies that’s a heavy human drama that ends in utter tragedy, I can’t recall animation made in the west that’s similar. I can think of live-action equivalents like Del Toro’s Pans Labriyth but I can’t in animated form. That isn’t to imply western animation is inferior or its bad, but I do think the West should be pushing the medium further.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-08-2020 at 02:16 PM.

- Charles Schultz.