Default What 2020 Should Have Been...

Hey all. I just wanted to make a thread regarding this year. Covid-19 has adversely affected all of our lives, I think that's safe to say. Protests and economic downturns, frustrations and anger, hopelessness and despair, regardless of where we are right now, many of us are experiencing some or all of these things. It's disheartening. It sucks.

Personally, there were a lot of plans for 2020. There were supposed to be great changes and positive moves forward. But many of those plans have been shelved. That's why I made this thread. Yeah, reality is what it is. We accept that. But, y'know, I can't help but think what 2020 should have been. Without the pandemic and all of its issues, what would you have wanted to do? What did you expect to do? What did you hope to do?

I'll start it off:

- I should have read the first issue of the new Shang-Chi limited series. I should have been pumped up after watching a teaser trailer for the film and chatting about it right now on the Marvel board.
    - I should be planning for a dinner with my sisters right now. Every July, we always hang out together.
    - I should have taken pictures in front of the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. I was planning on taking a vacation there back in April. As a history teacher, I wanted to visit Independence Hall and the Museum of the American Revolution. I was expecting to finally eat some authentic Philly cheese steaks.

Yeah, yeah, it's just some tacky, simple stuff. But it's my tacky, simple stuff. And for me, I feel like I should be doing or should have done all of these things.

So, how about you? What should 2020 have been?
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

My sister and her family were going to come down to visit this summer and we were all going to hit the themeparks.

I was also starting to hit the gym on a regular basis.

Ultimate Member

I was due for a performance review where I would have demanded equal pay to that of my former partner, who they fired then dumped all his responsibilities on me (I hoped, anyways).

Was gonna watch New Mutants and Black Widow, and actually see some of my friends.

Boisterously Confused

My paternal grandparents' family was going to hold our first reunion in over a decade, whilst the last remaining pair of uncles from my father's generation are still with us.

I was going to the wedding of a friend in a city I'd never seen, then I was finally taking that vacation to The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island of which I've dreamed since first seeing Somewhere in Time.

This was going to be the year that an industry partner program on which I've worked for nearly a decade finally took off.

This was going to be the graduation at which I hooded my first doctoral student.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I usually go with my brother and his 3 children to see the new Marvel releases so that's out for now. Some of my sisters and my brother are still planning to visit a brother of ours in Michigan but are holding off since he's going through some aggressive treatments for some cancerous growths right now and he is still recovering from that. In March four of us sisters usually have a birthday dinner out because a my sister and I have March birthdays. And I would be reading Doctor Doom #7, which was scheduled for March along with the concluding issue of Chip Zdarsky's X-Men/Fantastic Four

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

some big titles scheduled for feb-april got pushed back to the end of the year (or farther)

Cyberpunk 2077 - autumn
    Avengers -autumn
    Dying Light 2 - indefinitely
    Death Stranding PC - will be out this month thankfully

also event cancellations like blizzcon or E3

Should have been a year of rebuilding for the Seattle Mariners. Getting young talent out on the field in real games. Seeing what they had, and what holes they'd need to fill via free agency next year when their payroll is finally cleared up.

Instead it'll likely just be an extended Spring Training. I hold no hope for actual games being played this year. I will genuinely be surprised if they get that far. I hope I'm wrong!

Mighty Member

There would be a Sealab under the ocean.

I think you mean under the sea

But, Nice!
    Last edited by Joker; 07-03-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I was due for a performance review where I would have demanded equal pay to that of my former partner, who they fired then dumped all his responsibilities on me (I hoped, anyways).

Was gonna watch New Mutants and Black Widow, and actually see some of my friends
    Agreed. Should have watched Black Widow by now. Probably would have been geeking out over the post-credit scene (still thinking that it'll have Taskmaster as the secret henchman of the Mandarin).

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    There would be a Sealab under the ocean.
    Well, there's always Sealab 2021. Hopefully by then, things will get back to normal .
    "I am a man of peace."

Hey all. Just some other thoughts:

- I should have gone to New York City for a language meet up. Every other week, there's a Mandarin language meet up in the NYC. It's a way for Mandarin language speakers of all levels to ostensibly practice their language skills. In reality, it becomes just a great place to have a conversation about China from different parts of the world.

- I should have attended a WWE event over at MSG. I had originally gone to one in December, which was the first time I had ever gone to a live WWE event. Really excellent one too. Pretty cool to see who attends a sports entertainment event. Indeed, in the row in back of me was a family from Italy.
    "I am a man of peace."