Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dormammu vs Fatherhood

In a recent thread pitting Trigon vs Dormammu the following observation was made by one of the participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    It's almost like Trigon is really powerful on a level that isn't helpful in actual combat. Like he can shatter a planet, but that's not an ideal attack mode in Khazan and maybe Trigon doesn't have the finesse to dial down the power. He can conquer a universe, but he can't even raise an obedient daughter.
    This inspired a cosmic entity who shall remain nameless to see if Dormamammu can do better. Reality was altered so that Raven now was a resident of the Marvel universe and Dormammu was now her father, with all the influence over her that Trigon originally had. The ruler of the Dark Dimension now must persuade or compel her to serve his purposes and assist in the conquest of other realms.

Can he succeed in getting her to do his bidding and turn against whatever heroic teammates she has in this current reality? Or will he fail in the challenge as her original father Trigon did?

I, The Watcher, pose this question to you all...

What If Dormammu Was Raven's Father?
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
    in a recent thread pitting trigon vs dormammu the following observation was made by one of the participants.

This inspired a cosmic entity who shall remain nameless to see if dormamammu can do better. Reality was altered so that raven now was a resident of the marvel universe and dormammu was now her father, with all the influence over her that trigon originally had. The ruler of the dark dimension now must persuade or compel her to serve his purposes and assist in the conquest of other realms.

Can he succeed in getting her to do his bidding and turn against whatever heroic teammates she has in this current reality? Or will he fail in the challenge as her original father trigon did?

I, the watcher, pose this question to you all...

what if dormammu was raven's father?
    I forbid you to see Stephen Strange!

It depends on how Dormammu raised his daughter Clea. If he was actively trying to raise Clea to assist him in his conquests, he failed massively and would likely fail the same way while raising Raven. Might be even harder with Raven because she will have a nearly-immortal older sister potentially looking out for her. But if Dormammu was just negligent in raising Clea (which seems very likely), it's possible that he could get better results with Raven just by being more involved with her upbringing.

I don’t think Dormammu is Clea’s dad, is he? I thought she was the youngest of siblings, with The Dorm and Umar getting a bigger share of the family magic power.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

So would the Dead Rorkannu be her creepy deadbeat uncle, or something?

All last, I wonder how she would interact with Umar, especially if the latter tries to get the former to introduce her to some guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I don’t think Dormammu is Clea’s dad, is he? I thought she was the youngest of siblings, with The Dorm and Umar getting a bigger share of the family magic power.
    Clea is actually Umar's daughter and Dormammu's niece.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Of course. That’s it.

There should be a Marvel sitcom called At Home With The Faltine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Of course. That’s it.

There should be a Marvel sitcom called At Home With The Faltine.
    Will it touch on how Dormammu, and Umar murdered their father Sinifer, by turning him from a magical being, into matter?

Also it seems to be a recurring theme with older marvel villains, that they're just the mutants of their race.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I did not know that. That's what I get for only intermittently reading Dr. Strange comics.

I suppose we should analyze this rumble in a rumbly manner. Does Dormammu have any previous child-rearing feats? If not, does he have any leadership feats aside from intimidation?

A quick google search suggests that there are 4 general approaches to parenting: hands-off, permissive, authoritative, and authoritarian. Dormammu isn't nice, so it's unlikely that he would be a permissive parent. He doesn't traffic in nuance, so he probably is also not an authoritative parent. Hands-off parenting is unlikely to result in an obedient Raven. So most likely Dormammu is an authoritarian father. Probably a very shouty one. Kids raised by authoritarians can turn out more secretive, less resourceful, less social skills, and more involvement in bullying, either as the bully or the victim. Dormammu might get an obedient Raven, but he might find it harder to maintain control when she goes through her teenage rebellion stage, especially since she is an empath.

Trigon would have been an authoritarian parent, but I think that Raven was actually raised in a mystical commune kind of place by her mother. I don't know if that is still true of the current version of Raven.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I think Shellhead hit on it, and yes, there would likely be a lot of shouting.

Surprisingly, there might be some decent discussions as well, because when he's not feeling excessively ego-ish (I mean, for the Dorm), Furnace Face can be rather conversational.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

In a recent thread pitting Trigon vs Dormammu the following observation was made by one of the participants.

This inspired a cosmic entity who shall remain nameless to see if Dormamammu can do better. Reality was altered so that Raven now was a resident of the Marvel universe and Dormammu was now her father, with all the influence over her that Trigon originally had. The ruler of the Dark Dimension now must persuade or compel her to serve his purposes and assist in the conquest of other realms.

Can he succeed in getting her to do his bidding and turn against whatever heroic teammates she has in this current reality? Or will he fail in the challenge as her original father Trigon did?

I, The Watcher, pose this question to you all...

What If Dormammu Was Raven's Father?
    Yes, I think Raven would do her father Dormammu's bidding. He would have a major effect on her and she would obey him.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

i just keep thinking of how Raven's head would be encased in Fire when she taps into her daddy's powers, like how she gains those extra eyes when she goes all out!
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    i just keep thinking of how Raven's head would be encased in Fire when she taps into her daddy's powers, like how she gains those extra eyes when she goes all out!
    She gets the extra eyes from Trigon. I have no idea what Dormammu looks like without the Faltine Flames, but I suspect that he shares a family resemblance with his sister Umar, who only has two eyes. Come to think of it, Umar and Raven are two of the most goth-looking characters in all of comics, though of course not as goth as Death of the Endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    She gets the extra eyes from Trigon. I have no idea what Dormammu looks like without the Faltine Flames, but I suspect that he shares a family resemblance with his sister Umar, who only has two eyes. Come to think of it, Umar and Raven are two of the most goth-looking characters in all of comics, though of course not as goth as Death of the Endless.
    Dormammu had a regular face/head with black hair--he was quite handsome. He turned himself into energy, which is why he looks as he does now.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Dormammu had a regular face/head with black hair--he was quite handsome. He turned himself into energy, which is why he looks as he does now.
    It is a little-known fact, but absolutely true!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate