Astonishing Member

Default Does DC have any superhero titles set during WW2?

Like Marvel's Invaders title back in the 1970s, it was set back during the war. Does DC have an equivalent, outside the Golden Age?

Well if we are not counting golden age I believe the new 52 had a handful of soldier comics. I remember Men of War and Star Spangled War Stories but I’m unsure of if those are WW2, I didn’t read them.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Boisterously Confused

All-Star Squadron. It was an utter tour-de-force by Roy Thomas, one of comics most knowledgeable and affectionate experts on the Golden Age (also the creator of The Invaders). I regard it as one of DC's best books of the 1980s. Still annoys me at how CoIE gutted it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    All-Star Squadron. It was an utter tour-de-force by Roy Thomas, one of comics most knowledgeable and affectionate experts on the Golden Age (also the creator of The Invaders). I regard it as one of DC's best books of the 1980s. Still annoys me at how CoIE gutted it.
    Yeah. You beat me to it!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah. You beat me to it!
    I've sometimes wished that he would try something similar with Invaders.

Extraordinary Member

And DC has a number of war character who occasionally figure into other books or get a mini.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I've sometimes wished that he would try something similar with Invaders.
    That’d be so great!
    Marvel does have a lot of WWII characters to choose from if someone really wanted to.

Retired

Besides the All-Star Squadron, D.C. used to have a strong line of comics set in World War Two. Their war books were one of the strongest sellers and dependable for decades.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

For a time during the mid-'70s (due to the Lynda Carter program), the Wonder Woman comic book was set during WWII (utilizing the Earth-2 version of the character). In fact, the first Wondy comic I ever bought was the beginning of that era arc.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

The latest Freedom Fighters run took place in an alternate earth where the Nazi's won world war 2. (Sort of like the Amazon show The Man In the High Castle) Probably not what your looking for, but it will give you superheroes fighting Nazi's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    For a time during the mid-'70s (due to the Lynda Carter program), the Wonder Woman comic book was set during WWII (utilizing the Earth-2 version of the character). In fact, the first Wondy comic I ever bought was the beginning of that era arc.
    That period of Wonder Woman ran from issue #228 (cover-dated February 1977) through issue #243 (May 1978); Wonder Woman also had a feature in World's Finest Comics issues #244 (April-May 1977) - #250 (April-May 1978) that also focused on the World War II-era Wonder Woman of Earth-2.

There was also a series called Steel, The Indestructible Man that ran for five issues in 1978.

That, too, was set during World War II.