Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Fully agree with both of these comments.
    Cheers, cgh!

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    For me since Rebirth. Really didn't like Tom King's run Batman run barring the odd exception.

Only Batman things I've liked since Rebirth started was Batman Annual #3 by Tom Taylor, Super Sons and Batman: The Adventures Continue.

The New 52 > Rebirth.
    It's kinda funny. For as much as I hated the New 52 as a whole, it did give me my second favorite Batman run. Meanwhile, I loved pretty much all of Rebirth except for anything Batman related. Bats just isn't allowed to succeed when everyone else is lol

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'm in almost the same boat. I have Tynion a story arc to decide if I wanted to keep reading the book after King left (because I enjoyed his Detective run) but it just didn't do it for me, and having the next arc be yet another Joker story was just the nail in the coffin for me and I dropped the book. I had been reading Detective as well since I've loved darn near everything else Tomasi has written but, like you, felt like it was just treading water so I dropped it as well. Maybe once all the Joker War stuff is over I may re-evaluate.
    I was really wishing for a new writer on Batman, but I might have to wait for a while.

I was thinking Preist was going to take over but that may be wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I was really wishing for a new writer on Batman, but I might have to wait for a while.

I was thinking Preist was going to take over but that may be wishful thinking.
    Doubtful with Preist as he's doing a US Agent mini for Marvel and DC doesn't usually like having the writer on it's biggest book write for the competition (unless it's creator owned stuff like Tynion is doing).
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Nothing is wrong with you. I personally prefer a more Bronze age Batman. Modern Bruce is just too much of a paranoid dick in most incarnations. The only Bat books I'm getting right now are Detective (where Tomasi is generally writing him less grim, though it's a cut below what I've come to expect from Tomasi), Red Hood (because I enjoy the Dark Trinity) and Batman and the Outsiders (for Black Lightning, Katana and Dexter Soy's art). Currently, BatO is the best of the bunch.

Nightwing is my favorite Bat character, but his book's unreadable right now. Just save that money and use it to purchase other books you enjoy. There's tons out there.
    I think my favourite recent story was Everyone Loves Ivy because it started taking Ivy in a new direction, but then they flubbed it completely in Heroes in Crisis!

I miss the time when Dick was Batman, Damien Robin, Barbara Oracle, and Stephanie Batgirl! Huntress and Black Canary were still active in Birds of Prey! Of course this is all pre new 52! I actually found it refreshing that you had the new guard taking on the roles! Dick and Damien made a really good team together, and Barbara being the guide and mentor for Stephanie really worked well, and I would have loved if they brought Cassandra back and they could have just made the title Batgirls and had Steph and Cass working together as a team! Such a missed opportunity! And the art on the first run of Batwoman was fantastic, before the writers got fired for daring to put Kate in a long term relationship where she was going to get married! Then the new writers ruined Batwoman!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Doubtful with Preist as he's doing a US Agent mini for Marvel and DC doesn't usually like having the writer on it's biggest book write for the competition (unless it's creator owned stuff like Tynion is doing).
    Yeah, I figured as much; but I am excited to check out US Agent

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I think my favourite recent story was Everyone Loves Ivy because it started taking Ivy in a new direction, but then they flubbed it completely in Heroes in Crisis!

I miss the time when Dick was Batman, Damien Robin, Barbara Oracle, and Stephanie Batgirl! Huntress and Black Canary were still active in Birds of Prey! Of course this is all pre new 52! I actually found it refreshing that you had the new guard taking on the roles! Dick and Damien made a really good team together, and Barbara being the guide and mentor for Stephanie really worked well, and I would have loved if they brought Cassandra back and they could have just made the title Batgirls and had Steph and Cass working together as a team! Such a missed opportunity! And the art on the first run of Batwoman was fantastic, before the writers got fired for daring to put Kate in a long term relationship where she was going to get married! Then the new writers ruined Batwoman!
    Ahh, the Golden Age when DC allowed it's characters to grow

The current landscape is just not captivating.

I still don't care about the "Bat/Cat" relationship.
    I still think killing Alfred off was a big mistake.
    Batman losing his fortune doesn't intrigue me.
    I've tried but I can not for the life of me care much about the Joker war mainly because I'm just tired of the Joker.
    Even the new characters Tynion has introduced hasn't really hooked me (although Ghost-Maker sounds somewhat intriguing).

Meanwhile, I've been totally digging what's been going on with Daredevil, the Flash and Immortal Hulk. So it's probably bat-burn out.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post

I've tried but I can not for the life of me care much about the Joker war mainly because I'm just tired of the Joker.
    Even the new characters Tynion has introduced hasn't really hooked me (although Ghost-Maker sounds somewhat intriguing).

Meanwhile, I've been totally digging what's been going on with Daredevil, the Flash and Immortal Hulk. So it's probably bat-burn out.
    Same here except Batman on a budget sounds intriguing to me. We never really had that and I am fascinated with Darren Arnofsky's idea for a YEAR ONE movie. I imagine the cape having slashes and stitches and Bruce sneaking back onto a crime scene picking up Batarangs. Anything really to get a more human Batman again.

Now you made me curious about Flash since I like the other titles already...

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Same here except Batman on a budget sounds intriguing to me. We never really had that and I am fascinated with Darren Arnofsky's idea for a YEAR ONE movie. I imagine the cape having slashes and stitches and Bruce sneaking back onto a crime scene picking up Batarangs. Anything really to get a more human Batman again.

Now you made me curious about Flash since I like the other titles already...
    I think a big reason why I don't like the Joker War where Bruce loses everything is because it ALREADY HAPPENED.

It happened when Dr. Hurt took everything from Bruce, even his sanity wasn't spared.

Bruce was homeless and rebuilt himself from his Thogal training and his backup psyche: Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

So Bruce losing his money doesn't even compare to the stakes that Morrison set up

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think a big reason why I don't like the Joker War where Bruce loses everything is because it ALREADY HAPPENED.

It happened when Dr. Hurt took everything from Bruce, even his sanity wasn't spared.

Bruce was homeless and rebuilt himself from his Thogal training and his backup psyche: Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

So Bruce losing his money doesn't even compare to the stakes that Morrison set up
    It has never been explored for a decent amount of time. For me that would be 2 years at least. Bruce has bounced back too quickly. It took him longer to recover from Knightfall, NML or Murderer/Fugitive that's why I don't count RIP or Eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It has never been explored for a decent amount of time. For me that would be 2 years at least. Bruce has bounced back too quickly. It took him longer to recover from Knightfall, NML or Murderer/Fugitive that's why I don't count RIP or Eternal.
    I hear ya, but I wonder how long this status quo will last

Censorship Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    It's not that old comics are superior to current comics (I read some of them and I found them completely unreadable except for few). I started reading comics not too long ago and I already feel that I had enough where only couple of stand alone comics that interest me nowdays (and it's not because I think modern comics are bad because I enjoyed a lot of them more so than the old comics I have read).
    I don't know. I am reading a lot of the older Batman stories, up to the nineties, in trade paper back form and they are a lot better. Much less emphasis on "shock and awe" moments and just decent story telling. Batman had a family feel while he also played detective. The books had established relationships that really felt like you were reading something of substance. The new books don't feel that way for me.
    Last edited by Steven Caldwell; 08-11-2020 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I don't know. I am reading a lot of the older Batman stories, up to the nineties, in trade paper back form and they are a lot better. Much less emphasis on "shock and awe" moments and just decent story telling. Batman had a family feel while he also played detective. The books had established relationships that really felt like you were reading something of substance. The new books don't feel that way for me.
    That's a real good point; it's not all world ending, character killing, and evil dopplegangers

In the 90's the closest thing to world ending was No Man's Land and the coolest thing about that arc wasn't the city being destroyed but how the Bat-Fam dealt with the aftermath

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Maybe I got spoiled on the older comics but I just hate most Bat stuff since New 52.

I am contemplating just checking out and reading my giant pile from the 70's up to 2008

Am I an idiot, what is wrong with me?
    No it's not you I feel the same way, as a longtime Batman fan since 1987 I know that not every storyline is gonna be a home run, currently I'm just buying the title whether I find the artist any good but other than that everything has been lackluster.

I find that if the current state of Batman comics aren't leading up to anything and you don't find yourself enjoying them then you can always go back into your collection of longboxes and pick out older stuff that you know you're going to enjoy and reminisce of the good times

I haven't really enjoyed anything outside of Red Hood and Beyond
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8