Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

It's something going around, I think.
    For me, the only Batman title I've enjoyed in years is the New Adventures, and there's been but one issue so far...
    I did like the brief interlude of the War of Jokes and Riddles, but what preceded, and what followed, didn't please me much at all.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I've always kinda gone through phases like this. Whether it's the writers or the stories or whatever, things can just get stale sometimes.

I haven't enjoyed the Batman title in a long time. I dropped it during King's run. I like Tynion's stuff since he took over but haven't loved it. Not bad but not great, just kinda ok. I dropped Nightwing as well. Can't believe the Ric story is still going on.

I'm enjoying Tomasi on Tek more than any of them right now. Nothing groundbreaking or mytho changing, just some nice little self contained comic stories. It's been entertaining and not boring, which is what it's all about for me.

I've never had a problem taking a break from comics I love when they aren't going my way. I keep checking in, see what's going on, and jump back on when the timing seems right.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nothing is wrong with you. I personally prefer a more Bronze age Batman. Modern Bruce is just too much of a paranoid dick in most incarnations. The only Bat books I'm getting right now are Detective (where Tomasi is generally writing him less grim, though it's a cut below what I've come to expect from Tomasi), Red Hood (because I enjoy the Dark Trinity) and Batman and the Outsiders (for Black Lightning, Katana and Dexter Soy's art). Currently, BatO is the best of the bunch.

Nightwing is my favorite Bat character, but his book's unreadable right now. Just save that money and use it to purchase other books you enjoy. There's tons out there.

I like Tynion’s Batman, but otherwise I’m not reading anything so I understand how you feel.

Incredible Member

The Batman / Bruce character has really become almost a villain of the DC universe.

He is paranoid to the point of planning ways to destroy fellow JLA members in case they go out of control. What about him? I’ve collected Batman material from the 60s thru current material. But I’ve bought very little Batman material in the last few years. He is just not a like-able defender of Gotham. Certainly , they have no emphasis on the Darkknight DETECTIVE part of his persona.

I totally get how you feel. I dropped Bat books a while but decided to give Joker War a shot. After issue 96 I'm done.

spoilers:
    Jokerized zombies?!?
    end of spoilers

Though I am enjoying Batman: The Adventure Continues

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Not you, it's DC's direction.

I jumped off King and was hoping to jump on Tomasi's 'Tec (because I love his take on Batman *see New 52 Batman & Robin*) but it was a bit too by the numbers and Tynion is even more by the numbers with nothing new to add to the mythos.

Maybe after Joker War there is going to be a new direction or (finger's crossed) we finally get an update on King's Bat/Cat series

BANNED

King's Batman was a whole different ballgame with him experimenting on applying different genres ideas in telling a single long story arc that kind of went nowhere new and ended up changing nothing so it's nothing wrong with you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    The Batman / Bruce character has really become almost a villain of the DC universe.

He is paranoid to the point of planning ways to destroy fellow JLA members in case they go out of control. What about him? [...] Certainly , they have no emphasis on the Darkknight DETECTIVE part of his persona.
    I don't find that to be out of character for Batman to come up of contingency plans against potential foes. He is a monster on the side of the laws. However writing his villains as killing machine that kill people without any reason or with only one reason of drawing Batman's attention / testing his limits make them look more like typical supervillains, not criminal mastermind.

The thing with Joker is that they sort of do everything that they could do with the guy. I don't know how much you can one up Joker after so many stories they have with him. Now you have these jokerized animated corpses instead of humans. If they were gonna make Batman fight against zombies, the Court of Owls would make more sense as the main villain. Like Joker, Bane sort of suffers from the same problem after Knightfall. His past achievement makes him look more like a jobber nowadays. You can't simply one up Bane that much anymore. Taking over Gotham and/or taking down Batman again.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 08-11-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I jumped off King and was hoping to jump on Tomasi's 'Tec (because I love his take on Batman *see New 52 Batman & Robin*) but it was a bit too by the numbers and Tynion is even more by the numbers with nothing new to add to the mythos.
    I'm in almost the same boat. I have Tynion a story arc to decide if I wanted to keep reading the book after King left (because I enjoyed his Detective run) but it just didn't do it for me, and having the next arc be yet another Joker story was just the nail in the coffin for me and I dropped the book. I had been reading Detective as well since I've loved darn near everything else Tomasi has written but, like you, felt like it was just treading water so I dropped it as well. Maybe once all the Joker War stuff is over I may re-evaluate.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

It does feel to me like it's time for a Year One-style seismic change. Not a reboot or anything that messes with continuity, as we've had more than enough of that, more like a tonal line in the sand, which is pretty much what Year One was. I'm not sure what form this should take, as clearly I'm not a Frank Miller-level creative genius. Unfortunately, it's likely the case that no one at DC is either.

I think Tom King tried to do this but didn't entirely succeed and I'm not sure if it was his fault or if he was smothered by the external forces that govern Batman's overall direction. It would be quite something to open up a Batman comic and receive the sort of jolt I got when I opened #404, or any number of other defining moments where a creative risk was taken. Marvel seems unafraid of doing this sort of thing with their "Batman", Daredevil. But Daredevil isn't the lynchpin that Batman is. Regardless, maybe it's time to get some total madman writing Batman for a while.

Astonishing Member

For me since Rebirth. Really didn't like Tom King's run Batman run barring the odd exception.

Only Batman things I've liked since Rebirth started was Batman Annual #3 by Tom Taylor, Super Sons and Batman: The Adventures Continue.

The New 52 > Rebirth.

Astonishing Member

I did like Batman: White Knight.

I've been feeling that way about Batbooks since the latter half of King's run. Not even Tomasi's Tec has been able to win me back over. I really enjoyed Red Hood and the Outlaws. I might get back into that since i don't even remember whey I stopped. But that's pretty much the only Bat or Batfamily thing I'm into right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    The New 52 > Rebirth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I did like Batman: White Knight.
    Fully agree with both of these comments.