Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Dean Caine

  1. #46
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Again, I hardly ever watched the show, so I wanted to get opinions from those that did. Just because somebody's a jerk doesn't mean they're not untalented, it's just kind of sad.

  2. #47
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    527

    Default

    I find it hypocritical the way Cain accuses leftist media of censorship when has openly supports the Family Research Council (FRC) who complain about what they view as "obscene, indecent, or profane programming" on broadcast and cable television and demanded for censorship of such material.

    Also I can't respect a man who complains about being forced to wear a mask on a plane during a time when people are trying to minimize the effects of a pandemic but no, Cain felt the need to tweet this nonsense in order to suck up to people on the far right who believe the mask precautions is a liberal strategy (not you know a health and safety precaution), which I find truly disturbing and ridiculous.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  3. #48
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,233

    Default

    What exactly did he say about masks? Wasn't it just something about wanting fresh air because he'd spent a ton of time flying and had been wearing one so much? Something along those lines right? I think I came across that post and it didn't leave much of an impression so I'm assuming it wasn't anything that would piss me off.

    I mean, if he's just complaining about it? I can't blame him. Those things are hot and uncomfortable, and if you have a big full beard like I do they're doubly worse (and no, I won't cut my beard shorter you heathen! ). I've complained about how annoying they are to wear too, and I support wearing them and wouldn't leave the house without one! But that doesn't mean they're fun, and blowing off a little steam about it online is pretty gods damn harmless.

    I mean, christ, look at it this way; the guy is a conservative and he's still wearing the thing. The death toll in the US was well over 100K before most republican politicians gave in and put one on. Trump *still* won't, even when visiting the labs working on a vaccine. Tons of people are wandering stores and restaurants refusing to wear them. If all Cain did was post a little good natured complaining about it, then what the f*ck are we giving him sh*t for? Did he wear a mask? Then he did his duty as a considerate American.

    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Again, I hardly ever watched the show, so I wanted to get opinions from those that did. Just because somebody's a jerk doesn't mean they're not untalented, it's just kind of sad.
    From what people are saying here, he's not even a jerk. He's just a republican. But those who have actually met him, they're all saying he's kind, polite, and a pleasure to talk to.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  4. #49
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,299

    Default

    Honestly I can say I've seen far more venom from those who attack him than from him himself. I do not agree with his politics, at least not the stuff I've seen him be most vocal about (the mask thing is a complete non-issue though, it was a joke and he was still compliant with regulations, people flipped out just because they wanted a reason to rip on him), but at the same time he's not usually the one who comes off looking childish. CBR's lauding King as some superhero for calling him a motherfucker. I mean, okay? I don't really get giving brownie points for calling someone a name on Twitter.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  5. #50
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What exactly did he say about masks? Wasn't it just something about wanting fresh air because he'd spent a ton of time flying and had been wearing one so much? Something along those lines right? I think I came across that post and it didn't leave much of an impression so I'm assuming it wasn't anything that would piss me off.

    I mean, if he's just complaining about it? I can't blame him. Those things are hot and uncomfortable, and if you have a big full beard like I do they're doubly worse (and no, I won't cut my beard shorter you heathen! ). I've complained about how annoying they are to wear too, and I support wearing them and wouldn't leave the house without one! But that doesn't mean they're fun, and blowing off a little steam about it online is pretty gods damn harmless.

    I mean, christ, look at it this way; the guy is a conservative and he's still wearing the thing. The death toll in the US was well over 100K before most republican politicians gave in and put one on. Trump *still* won't, even when visiting the labs working on a vaccine. Tons of people are wandering stores and restaurants refusing to wear them. If all Cain did was post a little good natured complaining about it, then what the f*ck are we giving him sh*t for? Did he wear a mask? Then he did his duty as a considerate American.



    From what people are saying here, he's not even a jerk. He's just a republican. But those who have actually met him, they're all saying he's kind, polite, and a pleasure to talk to.
    I hate wearing one too but I support the cause and believe everyone should. I work in a hot warehouse and have to wear one at least eight hours a day in 90 degree Fahrenheit weather. I get they're uncomfortable.

    I get he was making a joke, but it was in extreme poor taste given he's feeding into the massive misinformation being pushed about masks (restricting oxygen, causing health concerns, etc). I understand why someone using their platform to spread misinformation will get dogpiled on. That's not really unique to Cain, though I will admit it really does seem like everyone is always on the lookout to cancel someone else and join the mob so they're not the one being hunted, so to speak.

    Doesn't mean Cain didn't deserve getting called out for his really tone-deaf joke. Over 100k Americans have died and the US is the fastest growing country at developing COVID with no stop in sight. Not really the time to be dunking on people who are trying to do their part to prevent more people from dying.

    I can't and don't support cancel culture, but the freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being called out on the dumb shit you use it to say. My parents taught me to take my metaphorical lumps, especially when I say something stupid, so right now Cain's getting his. He didn't apologize, so it means he stands by it so he's gonna have to ride it out until then. That's just part of being an adult.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-07-2020 at 03:40 PM.

  6. #51
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I hate wearing one too but I support the cause and believe everyone should. I work in a hot warehouse and have to wear one at least eight hours a day in 90 degree Fahrenheit weather. I get they're uncomfortable.

    I get he was making a joke, but it was in extreme poor taste given he's feeding into the massive misinformation being pushed about masks (restricting oxygen, causing health concerns, etc). I understand why someone using their platform to spread misinformation will get dogpiled on. That's not really unique to Cain, though I will admit it really does seem like everyone is always on the lookout to cancel someone else and join the mob so they're not the one being hunted, so to speak.

    Doesn't mean Cain didn't deserve getting called out for his really tone-deaf joke. Over 100k Americans have died and the US is the fastest growing country at developing COVID with no stop in sight. Not really the time to be dunking on people who are trying to do their part to prevent more people from dying.

    I can't and don't support cancel culture, but the freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being called out on the dumb shit you use it to say. My parents taught me to take my metaphorical lumps, especially when I say something stupid, so right now Cain's getting his. He didn't apologize, so it means he stands by it so he's gonna have to ride it out until then. That's just part of being an adult.
    Exactly, people have freedom to say dumb nonsense but other people also have freedom to call out the dumb nonsense people say.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  7. #52
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Doesn't mean Cain didn't deserve getting called out for his really tone-deaf joke. Over 100k Americans have died and the US is the fastest growing country at developing COVID with no stop in sight.
    Hey at least America is #1 at something other than military spending and incarceration again!

    *That* is a tone-deaf joke. Come at me bros!

    Yeah, he made a bad joke on social media and he's a republican and that's just not a very good look right now for anyone. But some of the responses I've seen about it are far worse than the joke itself. As I recall from the post, it was *clearly* not serious, and people are acting like he's as bad as trump. I mean, yeah I suppose it's kinda feeding into the misinformation that idiots are spreading, but....if you take your medical advice from Dean Cain's social media, or anyone who isn't a medical expert.....well my sympathy is pretty damn limited, except for the fact that you'll get someone else infected.

    I'm probably brushing this off like I am in part because comedy and humor, in my opinion, have nothing that is off limits. There's bad jokes that shouldn't be told because they're just bad, but no subject should be out of bounds. If you can't laugh at tragedy then what's left but to succumb to it?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hey at least America is #1 at something other than military spending and incarceration again!

    *That* is a tone-deaf joke. Come at me bros!

    Yeah, he made a bad joke on social media and he's a republican and that's just not a very good look right now for anyone. But some of the responses I've seen about it are far worse than the joke itself. As I recall from the post, it was *clearly* not serious, and people are acting like he's as bad as trump. I mean, yeah I suppose it's kinda feeding into the misinformation that idiots are spreading, but....if you take your medical advice from Dean Cain's social media, or anyone who isn't a medical expert.....well my sympathy is pretty damn limited, except for the fact that you'll get someone else infected.

    I'm probably brushing this off like I am in part because comedy and humor, in my opinion, have nothing that is off limits. There's bad jokes that shouldn't be told because they're just bad, but no subject should be out of bounds. If you can't laugh at tragedy then what's left but to succumb to it?
    While I agree none should be safe from lambasting under humor, there's a time and place, and right now feeding into the misinformation echo chamber isn't great because it is costing a lot of lives. If it was just his own safety, I wouldn't care, but yeah he's just emboldening those idiots who are getting our numbers so high to begin with and that's the problem.

    Look at it this way, I have a dead parent. I can divorce my loss from any humor I can mine from that tragedy, but you don't make light of it right when it happened. We're currently in the middle of the pandemic, the numbers are climbing and getting worse as half the country is arguing with every medical professional because they'd rather kill their neighbors than be uncomfortable. We're not looking in hindsight and laughing, or even laughing at the absurdity of the matter, but actively supporting the very people making matters worse by echoing the complaints they're using to defend their wanton spread of the virus.

    You don't make dead mom jokes to a kid who just lost his mother and you don't joke about how you're feeling brain damaged for wearing a mask for a few hours when half the country is using that very excuse as a reason to continue doing so. I mean, you absolutely can and if it lands, congratulations, but if it thuds you need to man up and own that your joke was in poor taste and move on. He's constantly doubling down, so yeah, I have little respect for the guy no matter how sweet he is one-on-one with people coming to him with a positive predisposition because he played their favorite superhero.

    Can he recover from this and other offenses in the past? Sure, but not by acting like some moral superior who made a shit joke and thinks there's nothing wrong with that. I can't imagine how fun that joke is to people who are immuno compromised and terrified of every interaction right now, those with the condition, or those who take care of their elders (which I can understand because I do) and are terrified they're going to kill their grandparent because incredibly ignorant people are making light of a medical emergency. It was in poor taste and he is planting his feet, so yeah, he deserves flak.

    He said something stupid and is getting treated accordingly. The freedom of speech cuts both ways. Some are taking it way too far, though, I agree.

  9. #54
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think there's some truth to this. There was that infamous line all the way back in 2006's Superman Returns when Perry White asks if Superman still stands for "Truth, justice, all that stuff." Clearly (IMO), they wanted to quote the catchphrase, but not actually say "American way." Fourteen years later, I think "American way" would be even less popular.



    But hey, Cain is inviting criticism, too. You have to be really daft to tweet passive-aggressive comments about having to wear masks and not expect blowback. So if you aren't self-unaware, then you are trying to rankle the masses who don't agree with you.
    Come to think of it Dean Cain's Superman didn't get to say the American Way either back in the 90s.

    I remember there was a scene in the show where Lois asks so you fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way and Superman replies just Truth and Justice would be fine.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  10. #55
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    52,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Come to think of it Dean Cain's Superman didn't get to say the American Way either back in the 90s.

    I remember there was a scene in the show where Lois asks so you fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way and Superman replies just Truth and Justice would be fine.
    ...Irony, thy name is Lois and Clark .

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    I'd be less annoyed if I really just thought of it as off-the-cuff humor, but I didn't read the message that way.

    IMO, Cain was being passive aggressive, insinuating that the mask policy is bad because supposedly prolonged wearing of masks forces you to breathe in a lot of carbon dioxide, just like breathing into a paper bag to counteract hyperventilating. IMO, the carbon dioxide argument is actually politically charged; it's a retrograde rationale to justify not wearing them because Trump doubled and tripled down on not taking COVID-19 seriously from the get go, and coming up with a (bogus) scientific reason why you shouldn't wear masks somehow makes Trump right in the end. So I didn't interpret it as, "Haha, we all hate wearing masks, here's another reason why it sucks." Like, if he wore a dyed mask and the dye started rubbing off onto his face, and he tweeted about the embarrassment, sure, I'd probably laugh, too. However, to me, it was a political statement; hence, it invites critique like any other political remark.

    On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a proud MAGA hat-wearing dude and 10 being saying "Trump 2020" should be classified as a hate crime, I'm probably something like a 7. It generally takes a little more for me to get a rise out of something Trump's supporters say that I don't agree with, but the anti-mask sentiment does annoy me quite a bit. But as others pointed out, at least he wore the mask. Also, I could very well be wrong and it's all one innocent mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Come to think of it Dean Cain's Superman didn't get to say the American Way either back in the 90s.

    I remember there was a scene in the show where Lois asks so you fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way and Superman replies just Truth and Justice would be fine.
    Heh, that sounds vaguely familiar. Anyway, I didn't see the interview, but I think critiquing Cain for saying you can't say, "Truth, Justice, and the American way" does seem unfair considering that we have two examples when "American way" has been subverted.

  12. #57
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He said something stupid and is getting treated accordingly. The freedom of speech cuts both ways. Some are taking it way too far, though, I agree.
    That's basically all I'm saying. I don't agree with his politics, but what did he do? He wore the mask like he's supposed to and made a whiny joke about it that's in bad taste. It's not a capital crime or anything, and....we're talking about Dean Cain. Do most people even realize the guy is still alive? He's not exactly a high profile celebrity that people listen to is he? I doubt anyone said "Well I was gonna wear the mask, but then Dean Cain made a joke about it and now I'm not gonna!"

    So he made a dumb joke, and yeah people are gonna call him out on it and that's on him, but some of the responses to it are kinda scary and are acting as if he were eating babies on the plane while wearing a swastika and declaring trump President for life.

    If he's dragged the conversation out, then that's news to me. I don't follow Dean Cain on social media so all I'm talking about is the initial post, anything he's said or done after concerning it, Im unaware of.

    I also get a kick out of the "freedom of speech" argument, because both sides are using it wrong. That doesn't actually give you the right to say whatever you want, it basically just allows you to bitch about government and politicians without fear of getting a black bag thrown over your head and disappearing in a unmarked van.

    Condolences on your parent, btw. My sympathies.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's basically all I'm saying. I don't agree with his politics, but what did he do? He wore the mask like he's supposed to and made a whiny joke about it that's in bad taste. It's not a capital crime or anything, and....we're talking about Dean Cain. Do most people even realize the guy is still alive? He's not exactly a high profile celebrity that people listen to is he? I doubt anyone said "Well I was gonna wear the mask, but then Dean Cain made a joke about it and now I'm not gonna!"

    So he made a dumb joke, and yeah people are gonna call him out on it and that's on him, but some of the responses to it are kinda scary and are acting as if he were eating babies on the plane while wearing a swastika and declaring trump President for life.

    If he's dragged the conversation out, then that's news to me. I don't follow Dean Cain on social media so all I'm talking about is the initial post, anything he's said or done after concerning it, Im unaware of.

    I also get a kick out of the "freedom of speech" argument, because both sides are using it wrong. That doesn't actually give you the right to say whatever you want, it basically just allows you to bitch about government and politicians without fear of getting a black bag thrown over your head and disappearing in a unmarked van.

    Condolences on your parent, btw. My sympathies.
    Appreciated, but she's been gone for more of my life than she hasn't. My point is when you exercise the freedom of speech and clearly infuriate a large group, if you decide not to apologize but instead double down, you really can't garner sympathy.

    The mask thing cuts deep for me because I take care of an elder and every jackass refusing to wear one is effectively doing what they can to turn everyone including myself into a vessel to pass COVID to her. She's 94, so basically any illness will do her in. I imagine there are a million situations like that or worse, so anyone going particularly against wearing a mask-- regardless of how uncomfortable they are (and I personally hate wearing them, but comply)-- because it's putting comfort over others. So anyone helping spread misinformation regarding them comes across as a massive jackass, at least as far as I'm concerned.

    But that's all Dean Cain comes across as in this instance; a jackass. Others have followed him more extensively than I and have posted about how he supports awful organizations, so yeah, no love for Dean in my house.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •