Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dean Caine

Mighty Member

Default Dean Caine

He's controversial nowadays, but how was he as Superman? I hardly ever watched Lois and Clark.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I find it messed up he's controversial simply for leaning on the opposite end of the political spectrum.

Extraordinary Member

He was fine as Superman. Possibly the best TV version in the past thirty years or so. Not perfect, but still fine for TV.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I find it messed up he's controversial simply for leaning on the opposite end of the political spectrum.
    It's not his political leaning that's the issue, it's how he sucks up to the far right like appearing in those awful religious movies that spout right wing propaganda while demonizing anyone who's not conservative or Christian or how he says Superman won't be have that Americana spirit like saying the American Way even though it is still reference in the comics and Captain America in both the comics and the movies is still wearing a suit inspired by the American flag.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Dean Cain plays one of the best Clark Kent / Supermen of all time. His Clark is a beleaguered everyman with a strong sense of justice and a sardonic sense of humor who often gets swept up in Lois' exploits. It's an updated version of George Reeves' trick - in order to keep Superman grounded, you make him the most grounded character of the cast. Lois & Clark is one of my favorite versions of Superman of all time.

Dean Cain is also a perfect gentleman. When my fiancee and I met him at a convention, he helped her out of her wheelchair and walked her, practically carried her, to the photo op, and she was delighted. And treating my girl with respect is a good way to get brownie points from me!

I don't much care for cancel culture. Look, Rosario Dawson committed a hate crime. She's not gonna get my support. And Dean Cain won't get my support for his uglier statements either, but he also won't get my total dismissal as an actor, right? Dean Cain just has some shitty views. I've met a lot of people in the world with some shitty views. If I wouldn't totally dismiss Peg across the street or Roger from work, why would I put in the effort to dismiss someone I only really know from TV?

I don't think of Dean Cain much, except that I know he's done some truly great work with my favorite character, and I know that he's a gentleman to my disabled fiancee. That's enough for me to give him at least an A. I won't reconsider unless he commits a hate crime.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Dean Cain is awesome, and he made a great Superman. My wife and I are re-watching the show, and it's a charm-fest from start to finish. It's certainly of it's era; you can tell the street is a shooting lot, and it might be a bit saccharine for modern viewers, but (imo) it's fun and a great de-stresser.

As for Dean himself - politically, we likely don't agree on jack squat. He'd likely think I'm a communist (I'm somewhat social-democracy leaning, but that's it), lol - but personally, he was nothing but a warm, kind, wonderful human being when we've met him.. and that's what stays with me. Ronda and I will never have a bad word to say about the man.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

He was a decent enough version of Byrne's Superman in the context of a mid-level 90s TV show.

Teri Hatcher was the main draw for me.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

He was a decent Superman but his Clark Kent was better, which was kind of the point as the show was called Lois and Clark.

I can still watch the show in spite of some of his toxic views like I can still watch the Hercules show in spite of Kevin Sorbo's views but kind of a shame that someone who comes across as a cool guy when interviewed at convention would suck up to people with toxic radical views.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

In addition to some of the offensive things he has said politically, there are people sharing on twitter that he apparently was bragging at a bar about his sexual exploits with Teri Hatcher and being very crude about it and what they did together.

No idea if this is true—obviously we weren’t at the bar to witness it. But if he did do that....that’s really gross and it’s a violation of her. It’s well known they had a very complicated relationship (the rumors back in the day were that they both hated each other and were sleeping together eventually culminating in a very volatile relationship between them by the end of the show) but; either way, violating her like that and bragging about what they did or didn’t do in a bar is extremely uncool.

I have issues with Cain, not just being very conservative, but he was a guest speaker at a group that is classified as a hate group for their anti LGBT activities, while promoting his anti choice movie. Association with a hate group goes beyond mere difference of political position. Hearing that he was speaking badly of Teri Hatcher is disappointing, as I've heard that she has defended him recently.
    But that aside, I am a fan of Lois and Clark the series. It's a fun and lighthearted take on 90s Superman. Dean was a solid Clark, but Teri's intelligent, volatile Lois, a character who grew and matured as her relationship with Clark grew, was the real appeal of the show.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think there's a quality to him that does make me think of Superman even if he's physically not the guy I can imagine picking. I've seen him on Hallmark and daytime tv, and he manages to have "it" imo
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't pay attention to an actor's personal life or political views - I think most of them will disappoint you. I'd have to stop enjoying film and TV largely if I worried about this cruddy stuff. No, I see no point in it. These productions are such large things there will always be someone awful involved. Frankly I wish we could just get over it. If they commit a crime, or say and do something truly hateful enough and you can write them off the series, do so. But at the end of the day I just want to watch something and be entertained, and not worry about what I'm watching beyond the fact that it is indeed entertaining.

On that note, I loved his Clark and Superman.

Good Clark Kent, so-so Superman. He didn't really have the chops to differentiate that much between the two. But then again he didn't really have to, that wasn't the point of the show. Not to mention that pretty much no one except Reeve has ever done much to differentiate the two in live action.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't pay attention to an actor's personal life or political views - I think most of them will disappoint you. I'd have to stop enjoying film and TV largely if I worried about this cruddy stuff. No, I see no point in it. These productions are such large things there will always be someone awful involved. Frankly I wish we could just get over it. If they commit a crime, or say and do something truly hateful enough and you can write them off the series, do so. But at the end of the day I just want to watch something and be entertained, and not worry about what I'm watching beyond the fact that it is indeed entertaining.

On that note, I loved his Clark and Superman.
    Yeah once I catch a gist of the politics I kinda avoid that side of people. Ethics are a little different but I still try the occasional episode for what it is.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Putting aside Cain, Teri Hatcher has done a great deal to advocate for sexual assault victims in the past 20 years. Her story is really devastating and when you realize, in retrospect, that she was dealing with all of this while she was filming Lois and Clark, it’s truly heartbreaking.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/teri-ha...mp-1202477189/