Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dean Caine

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    In addition to some of the offensive things he has said politically, there are people sharing on twitter that he apparently was bragging at a bar about his sexual exploits with Teri Hatcher and being very crude about it and what they did together.

No idea if this is true—obviously we weren’t at the bar to witness it. But if he did do that....that’s really gross and it’s a violation of her. It’s well known they had a very complicated relationship (the rumors back in the day were that they both hated each other and were sleeping together eventually culminating in a very volatile relationship between them by the end of the show) but; either way, violating her like that and bragging about what they did or didn’t do in a bar is extremely uncool.
    I don't know if any of this is true,but apparently Dean and Teri are at least friendly towards each other now. They follow each other on instagram,like each others posts and she recently did a one on one live chat with Dean on Instagram that's archived on her Instagram. They also did a convention appearance together and hung out in Australia a couple years back.

whatever the past between them is,it looks like they've put it behind them.

In any case, I certainly hope the bar stories are not true. I've actually had limited communication with both of them separately on social media and they both seem like nice people.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-03-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't pay attention to an actor's personal life or political views - I think most of them will disappoint you. I'd have to stop enjoying film and TV largely if I worried about this cruddy stuff. No, I see no point in it. These productions are such large things there will always be someone awful involved. Frankly I wish we could just get over it. If they commit a crime, or say and do something truly hateful enough and you can write them off the series, do so. But at the end of the day I just want to watch something and be entertained, and not worry about what I'm watching beyond the fact that it is indeed entertaining.

On that note, I loved his Clark and Superman.
    A good attitude. I also prefer to not even know what any entertainer, (and I include sports as entertainment), thinks about politically, or what they do when they're not working. I just want the illusion that they are their roles, even though I know they aren't. If that makes any sense???

Not getting into Dean Cain's personal views.

As for his Clark, I read years ago when the show was still relevant that they aimed the show toward the soap opera-watching crowd, which meant a different target demographic than those who were regularly following Superman at that time, so the result was a Clark Kent who had various idiosyncracies. He's a lot smoother, lacking a lot of the trademark social awkwardness Clark normally is known for, and a lot of the non-lead female characters were outwardly attracted to him. I wouldn't say they were untrue to the Superman mythology, but I think they purposefully retooled Clark so that soap fans would find as a believable, attractive leading man.

Oh yeah, and this:

I think the show's ok, but by no means would I call it the definitive take.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Not getting into Dean Cain's personal views.

As for his Clark, I read years ago when the show was still relevant that they aimed the show toward the soap opera-watching crowd, which meant a different target demographic than those who were regularly following Superman at that time, so the result was a Clark Kent who had various idiosyncracies. He's a lot smoother, lacking a lot of the trademark social awkwardness Clark normally is known for, and a lot of the non-lead female characters were outwardly attracted to him. I wouldn't say they were untrue to the Superman mythology, but I think they purposefully retooled Clark so that soap fans would find as a believable, attractive leading man.

Oh yeah, and this:

I think the show's ok, but by no means would I call it the definitive take.
    That is pretty much how Clark was portrayed post Crisis in the comics.

I don't really give a damn about what Dean Cain thinks. As far as me and my life goes he has one job; entertain me if I happen to see him on tv doing something. Past that he and his opinions are utterly meaningless. He's a conservative? That's not a crime, even if I'd disagree with his politics. He doesn't have to feel the same way about a topic as I do. Too many people forget that; just because you think a thing does not mean you're right or it's the only valid viewpoint. Freedom of expression doesn't just mean the expressions *you* like.

I was a fan of the L&C show back in the day (early teens maybe?), before I discovered pre-Crisis, and I liked it well enough for what it was, though I always wanted less soap opera and more superhero. But he did well enough in the role for a 90's era network show designed to play up the Clark side of things. I don't agree with the show's approach (for different reasons than when I was a kid who just wanted to see Superman punch bad guys) but it kept Superman in the public eye for years and I appreciate it for that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

He’s a jackass. Largely irrelevant as well, but he’s found the grift so many D-list 90’s stars have found is that right wing media is so desperate for any “celebrity” to call their own that they’ll treat him like he’s important if he parrots their talking points or “triggers the libs” in any way.

I still like and will watch Lois & Clark though. It’s a fun campy show.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That is pretty much how Clark was portrayed post Crisis in the comics.
    Probably, but I think whatever changes Post-Crisis made for Superman and Clark, the TV show pushed it even further.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Probably, but I think whatever changes Post-Crisis made for Superman and Clark, the TV show pushed it even further.
    I'm particularly thinking of John Byrne's run. We had Clark with a nautilus machine in his apartment to explain his buff physique, Cat Grant lusting after him and Lois taking him more seriously as a romantic partner. Maybe there's some synergy in how the tv series and comic influenced each other, but I think of Lois and Clark as a very accurate adaptation of what Clark was like in that era.
    Last edited by witchboy; 07-04-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He played the soap opera heavy emphasis on Clark Kent Superman, and for that, he did fine. Not great, not bad. He did his job.

It's not my favorite show, but it does have its charm. Probably my favorite live action Perry White, bar none.

As a person? I can't say I like his politics much at all, but I've never met him. I don't really support cancel culture, but I don't really have any desire to give Dean Cain any attention beyond that time he played Superman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

He's the Superman I watched as a lil kid, so I have a certain fondness for him. Can't say he's a favourite or anything beyond that, but he does a pretty good Clark Kent. A bit of a dialed down George Reeves (the best Clark Kent/Superman).

Is he a right winger kind fella?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-04-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    He's the Superman I watched as a lil kid, so I have a certain fondness for him. Can't say he's a favourite or anything beyond that, but he does a pretty good Clark Kent. A bit of a dialed down George Reeves (the best Clark Kent/Superman).

Is he a right winger kind fella?
    He is a Trump supporter, but beyond that, he was a guest speaker for an anti LGBT hate group (labeled as such by the gov't) while he was promoting his anti choice movie.

Astonishing Member

I kind of liked him in the role. I also kind him a little hard to buy as Clark or Superman. Didn’t seem quite the type physically and his voice was a little high Good people can disagree and these hyperbolic Times.
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 07-05-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Personally I think he comes across as an ignorant loudmouth, but I also have a lot of fears about where this cancel culture thing is leading us. It's great that victims of legitimate abuse are being empowered to have their voice against the people who wronged them. But it's a slippery slope towards witch hunt territory. And I don't really see what dogpiling on anyone who tweets something controversial is supposed to accomplish besides looking for virtue signal points.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    He is a Trump supporter, but beyond that, he was a guest speaker for an anti LGBT hate group (labeled as such by the gov't) while he was promoting his anti choice movie.
    Ironically enough there's an episode of Lois and Clark where a villain named Tempus schemes his way into becoming President, at one one point using the slogan "make America great again," (seriously word to word) to which Clark and Lois mock as being a stupid slogan. It was in the 4th season somewhere.

Anyway he was a good Clark and a passsable Superman for a campy but fun 90s superhero show. I wish he and Hatcher got a cameo in COIE.

Great Clark Kent and pretty good Superman. At first it's like, that guy ain't no Superman, but he pulled it off. Fun little show Lois and Clark was. I don't care about the whole personal life/views/personality and all that jazz, he's got the right to think and feel whatever he wants whether I agree or not. Keep it separate from the entertainment side and I'm good.

I've been surprised that they haven't used Hatcher and Cain to play Lois and Clark in the animated movies - it could be any version of Lois and Clark, but an actual sequel to Lois and Clark would be a lot of fun.
    Now Cain is making himself someone who could hurt the sales instead of boosting them.