Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Cavill NOT returning as Superman?

I don't know how reliable this is as a source but apparently there are no scripts written with him in them and negotiations are still stalled out:

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/he...perman-rumors/
    Assassinate Putin!

He didn't say "I'll never play Superman again," he just said "In an ideal world, I'd love to play Superman again."

In the wise words of Ursula K. LeGuin, "There is a certain bleakness in finding hope where one expected certainty."

I think that's why people are jumping on this quote of Cavill's with despair. He's not saying no, he's not saying never, he's just not saying "yes," when a lot of us really wanted him to.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Saw that too. To be fair he isn’t going to say he’ll be back as Superman until he actually is. What I think he’s addressing here are rumors like “Snyder is back in charge of the DCEU and it’s full steam ahead on his original plan” which is just pure delusion. Trades reported that they are talking again, but it’s just the same talks that stalled initially. WB seems open to letting him cameo but otherwise they have no interest in Cavill going solo. WB simply doesn’t buy that Cavill can pull off a solo movie, nor do they have much faith in the Superman brand itself. And I don’t really have much faith in Cavill either. He’s fine as an actor, but he’s not legendary or anything, and if he turns in another mediocre performance it’ll just be another flop. Plus a Cavill Superman movie has to swim upstream against the bad public view of his take which so far has been met with mixed results at best.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-03-2020 at 01:22 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This is either flat out lying in order to not spoil the surprise of wherever his Superman pops up

or

Amy Adams' statement about them going in a different direction with Superman also doesn't include Cavill.

But really...

time to stop messing around, cast Jon Hamm to go opposite Keaton, and lets build to the inevitable Kingdom Come movie
    they've wanted to make since forever while Mark Waid screams his lungs out off to the side about how "they're missing the point"
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-03-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Retired

Everything that is finished (WONDER WOMAN 1984), in post-production (THE SUICIDE SQUAD) or in production (the Snyder Cut JUSTICE LEAGUE) exists. Anything else is just speculation and could fall through. Just be happy with the things we know exist. The Snyder Cut will feature both Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck--and they'll likely have to do some more work (even if it's just dubbing in a few lines) to complete the cut--so they are returning for that.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Saw that too. To be fair he isn’t going to say he’ll be back as Superman until he actually is. What I think he’s addressing here are rumors like “Snyder is back in charge of the DCEU and it’s full steam ahead on his original plan” which is just pure delusion. Trades reported that they are talking again, but it’s just the same talks that stalled initially. WB seems open to letting him cameo but otherwise they have no interest in Cavill going solo. WB simply doesn’t buy that Cavill can pull off a solo movie, nor do they have much faith in the Superman brand itself. And I don’t really have much faith in Cavill either. He’s fine as an actor, but he’s not legendary or anything, and if he turns in another mediocre performance it’ll just be another flop. Plus a Cavill Superman movie has to swim upstream against the bad public view of his take which so far has been met with mixed results at best.
    I hope that's all it is. But the stuff we were getting before made it sound like "HE'S TOTALLY ONBOARD FOR MORE MOVIES, YOU GUYZZZ!!!!!" Which, even if they got him back, they still haven't gotten anyone else back yet. I doubt Amy Adams can be lured back so easily.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I hope that's all it is. But the stuff we were getting before made it sound like "HE'S TOTALLY ONBOARD FOR MORE MOVIES, YOU GUYZZZ!!!!!" Which, even if they got him back, they still haven't gotten anyone else back yet. I doubt Amy Adams can be lured back so easily.
    He is totally on board for more. WB isn’t. They’re only willing to give him cameos which isn’t what he wants. I don’t think Adams is coming back either which is fine, never felt like she and Cavill had much chemistry, and the big plan with her Lois was fridging her. Gotta say though, I don’t know if I could bring myself to go to another solo Superman movie if Eisenberg is in it, I hate his Luthor that much.

Good. I mean he seems like a nice guy but for the love of God I just want them to bite the bullet and recast and reboot or something already like they're doing with Batman. I want a new Superman without the baggage damn it!

I've leaned back in the direction of its not happening. Obviously things can change again but this isn't the first source I've seen say even those cameo talks stalled. If they can't even agree on that then frankly to me it seems like WB is just trying to get him to leave without having to cut the cord themselves.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I've leaned back in the direction of its not happening. Obviously things can change again but this isn't the first source I've seen say even those cameo talks stalled. If they can't even agree on that then frankly to me it seems like WB is just trying to get him to leave without having to cut the cord themselves.
    Part of the issue is I think that any “big” director they get to do Superman is probably going to want to cast their own lead rather than be saddled with trying to salvage Snyder’s take. If Abrams really is in talks for Superman, he could be demanding the right to cast his own Superman like Reeves.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Could you imagine if they got Routh?

Like, the knee-jerk reaction is "whoa there buddy, TV and film stay on opposite sides of the plate", but Marvel is straight up laughing at that idea via Disney+ (and Agents of Shield to a lesser extent), put WB apparently insisted that Miller's movie Flash be added into the crisis crossover for the Big scene. And now with the Keaton thing they're down for some pretty unheard of stuff.

On top of that Routh's return as Superman was kind of universally given the thumbs up in a very "THIS is Superman" way that I imagine didn't go unnoticed.

Plus, apparently Keaton's Batman is going to be Kingdom Come inspired, and obviously so was Routh's.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Thank god. Best news I heard all week.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Kingdom come is another what's so funny with the savior superman throwing a tantrum and quiting. Why does anyone want that? I thought people hated superman extroverted charismatic side. Anyway, i have seen what he said. He didn't say no.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Cavill isn't at fault, he's a great actor. We got a tiny idea of what he'd be like as a good Superman in Justice League, they went too far into the Christopher Reeve depiction but with tweaking he'll make a good Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Cavill isn't at fault, he's a great actor. We got a tiny idea of what he'd be like as a good Superman in Justice League, they went too far into the Christopher Reeve depiction but with tweaking he'll make a good Superman.
    Justice league, had chris reeve superman? I saw none of it.