Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This. If it was something like
    Morrison T-shirt and jeans
    Kenan Kong New Super-Man
    Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod
    Gods and Monsters Lor-Zod
    Then I could actually roll with that. Sure would get me more excited than Cavill returning that’s for sure.
    If we're going with only one Clark Kent I'd rather not go with Morrison's confusing plot points. I liked his take on the character's personality, but god I can't stand his inability to just tell a story that doesn't need to be reread to know what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If we're going with only one Clark Kent I'd rather not go with Morrison's confusing plot points. I liked his take on the character's personality, but god I can't stand his inability to just tell a story that doesn't need to be reread to know what happened...
    Haha I understand. Trust me though: any adaption of Morrison’s run would cut out all the 5-D imp stuff and just stick with a low powered Superman tackling street crime and social issues. Hell thats what I would do personally, just Supes vs. Glenmorgan and then Metallo & the US Army.

I’d also go for a Birthright or Man & Superman movie though.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Chances morrison's action being adapted and embraced are slim. People want boyscout farmboys.

Haha I understand. Trust me though: any adaption of Morrison’s run would cut out all the 5-D imp stuff and just stick with a low powered Superman tackling street crime and social issues. Hell thats what I would do personally, just Supes vs. Glenmorgan and then Metallo & the US Army.

Like I said, I actually like how he writes the character of Superman, it's just all the "story/plot" and how it's presented I hate - I never even made it to the 5D imps, I just read the volume 1 Brainiac story when I decided this wasn't for me.

I also had the same problem with his Arkham Asylum story and have thus avoided his Batman run too.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Chances morrison's action being adapted and embraced are slim. People want boyscout farmboys.
    I think it has less to do with the farm boy thing and more how to do a simple plot that would hold it back. His Superman can work, but someone else needs to do the plot.

I think it has less to do with the farm boy thing and more how to do a simple plot that would hold it back. His Superman can work, but someone else needs to do the plot.
    I meant the fish out of water naive thing clark has going on normally.That's not present in morrison's superman to that extent. I don't think superman lifting up a corrupt mine worker and jumping from a building, Him scaring people.. Etc are going to be embraced. People would start the "that's not superman,That's batman" nonsense. Morrison even has clark say that. Him living in a one room apartment, with an old land lady as mentor. They would say its too spiderman .There would be no bigger irony.

Astonishing Member

Morrison writes that sort of Superman, have you read All-Star Superman and JLA?

I meant the fish out of water naive thing clark has going on normally.That's not present in morrison's superman to that extent. I don't think superman lifting up a corrupt mine worker and jumping from a building, Him scaring people.. Etc are going to be embraced. People would start the "that's not superman,That's batman" nonsense. Morrison even has clark say that. Him living in a one room apartment, with an old land lady as mentor. They would say its too spiderman .There would be no bigger irony.
    Eh, if the movie is good and he's having fun and not being gloomy about it, the audience will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Morrison writes that sort of Superman, have you read All-Star Superman and JLA?
    Yes, i know morrison writes that superman.But,we aren't talking about those. We are talking about action comics. Moreover, i don't particularly care for that kind of superman without a human weight or mortal feeling hanging on his head. Superman would come of incredibly condescending in that scene with regan, had he himself been not dieing. As said, i don't particularly care for the sun god generally. I like Morrison's action superman. It got me into reading comics full time. For me, a resilient champion of the little guy>benevolent savior. But, i don't think that guy is generally what people expect to be superman. They expect a benevolent savior.They expect superman not to identify himself with anything. They don't expect a working class champion who has problems with machines for some reason. Smashes a car in anger. Lol!

In fact, i was really baffled to hear this dialogue in shazam/superman movie the first time.
    " i fight for those who can't fight for themselves"
    This felt out of nowhere. In Dcau, the guy wasn't like that at all. Green arrow was the guy who actually represented the common folks.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-06-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If the movie is good, people will go for it.

Morrison's Superman isn't a boyscout farmboy, but he and his world aren't relentlessly grim either. He's fun and charismatic and has conviction. Get that dude out there

Amazing Member

I know that is a joke and a condemnation, but this would make me so darn excited I would squee like no fanboy has done before. Seriously, I now want this so much.
    Superman movies are a joke unfortunately. Somehow, I still watch them when they come out. I prefer the old B&W TV show over any of the movies.

Amazing Member

For some reason, I start hearing this song in my head when I remember all the disappointments Superman delivered on the big screen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iEH2b_HXMc

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Cavill isn't at fault, he's a great actor. We got a tiny idea of what he'd be like as a good Superman in Justice League, they went too far into the Christopher Reeve depiction but with tweaking he'll make a good Superman.
    I agree as well, Henry Cavill is a good actor. Most times its not the actors fault. There's other factors that influences the character as well such as director, studio meddling etc.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think there are a lot of balls in the air at the moment, and only so much money to go around. I can't imagine Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton came cheap.

Another newer actor is a lot cheaper and carries less baggage. Cavill's agents best tread cautiously if they want their cut.

This is either a really fantastic time for that take on Superman or not a good time at all. Like having Superman stand up to police brutality could have real, meaty potential, or would today’s audience just pick it apart for glorifying a hero using the excessive force it’s trying to discourage? Not saying I agree with that line or thinking, I don’t, but that’s what people are having conversations about right now. Society is re-examining a lot of things, and I’m not sure sure where pop culture is going to land on the other side of it.
    On the other hand I’d actually get more exited for a movie that was inspired by the more weirder stuff from Morrison’s work. His run had both grounded golden age stuff and wacky silver age aplenty. Besides crafting a version of the character fans will respond better to, stuff like 5th dimension villains, Brainiac or Bizzaro World (ok that’s more All Star than AC, but still) could go a long way to bring a different kind of spectacle than the dark filtered explosions from the Snyder films.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 07-07-2020 at 11:13 AM.