Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

In defense of disco, Nightwing's was never a disco costume. Dick didn't take on the Nightwing persona until 1984, by which time disco was long dead. I should know, I was king of the disco dance floor (circa 1978). And Superman adopted his Nightwing identity and outfit in 1963 when disco was barely a glimmer in Van McCoy's eye.

I never liked the George Perez design, but I think once other artists got rid of the extraneous decorations and kept it to the basic elements, then it served with distinction. But it was never disco.

What about the dick arrow, should that be incorporated into his Nightwing look?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In defense of disco, Nightwing's was never a disco costume. Dick didn't take on the Nightwing persona until 1984, by which time disco was long dead. I should know, I was king of the disco dance floor (circa 1978). And Superman adopted his Nightwing identity and outfit in 1963 when disco was barely a glimmer in Van McCoy's eye.

I never liked the George Perez design, but I think once other artists got rid of the extraneous decorations and kept it to the basic elements, then it served with distinction. But it was never disco.
    I think it was supposed to be like a circus preformer- similar to Deadman. And that makes a good amount of sense, but it is fairly dated
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I hate to repeat myself, but I did a mockup a few months back trying to combine the colors of the discowing outfit with the iconography of the B:TNA suit. I think that something along these lines might be better than a straight return to the disco suit, which is very much now dated.

I would be down with this

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think it was supposed to be like a circus preformer- similar to Deadman. And that makes a good amount of sense, but it is fairly dated
    Awesome! Reminds me of the outfit Dick wore during Deadman's Flashpoint mini-series:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No.

The black-blue costume has become as close to iconic as Nightwing gets. It's simple, easy to adapt to other media, and can be tweaked with varying degrees of detail without losing its overall sensibility. I do think Dick needs the bird emblem back, for marketing purposes, but that in and of itself is just a tweak to the classic black-blue chevron.

The last thing wrong with Nightwing is his classic Nightwing costume.
    Yeah, the benefit of the simple, but cool, black and blue can’t overstated.

In my opinion, the best costumes are the ones that can quickly and easily be copied by amateur fans, are instantly recognizable, and simple enough that a costume designer can fill it with details in real world/animated costumes to their heart’s content.

For instance, the Young Justice version of the suit is highly detailed... but it’s core elements are still the ones from the black and blue suit.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    What about the dick arrow, should that be incorporated into his Nightwing look?
    Yes but this time pointed at his butt

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XVII (July 1986)

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    People will come back to it.
    Look at mustaches, they are trendy now, like in the old days. So disco look is bound to come back.
    Hey, disco music has already made a comeback at least once (in the earl 1990s).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You may as well ask if he should grow out his ponytail again.
    Or should he go for a "man bun"?

Or, better yet, how about the "Deathwing" look:

complete with pierced nipple-rings!!!

Okay on the topic of Nightwing. Should he have a belt or keep special pockets? I like what they did with YJ What about his glider? It does also fit with the circus theme

As long as they don't bring back the horrible mullet, I'm good.

Astonishing Member

The criss-cross X coming down from the collar and giving him a belly window (just without the window) is so weird. The collar with no cape is weird. I love that costume but it's so weird. Dick's Stelfreeze costume is played out though. A good design that can be modified. I feel like a costume that jives with references to multiple of his past Nightwing costumes could be pretty great but I haven't seen one that really nails it in a minute. Timeline-wise, since his black costume debuted around the same time after Prodigal that Bruce came back and was also rocking an all-black costume, it is weird that Bruce has changed costumes a few times since but Dick really hasn't, other than having a Red slightly over-armored N52 variant and adding some blue swooshes to the ankles.

So not Disco-Wing ... but I'd be down for a utilitarian sleek costume that fits his type of acrobatic movement and nocturnal bird iconography, his trend toward Blue detailing, but brought back some of that lighter blue and maybe even some yellow bits.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

If anything, his "disco" costume isn't Disco enough!

Flip the collar back down so it's less superheroy, add some bell bottoms, a hair chest ...

... Okay, fine. I'll see myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No. Disco is dead, and so are Disco costumes.
    A year later and Disco is still dead...yet oddly now I find myself yearning to listen to Disco Duck...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    A year later and Disco is still dead...yet oddly now I find myself yearning to listen to Disco Duck...
    I prefer classic Donna Summer myself.

No, his modern costume is classic at this point. Why change it?
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-