Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "Aha.....ahhh......why is she laughing like that?" En mouthed quickly in Mulvrics direction, to which the old man replied with a confused shrug. "....Ahhh.....did the projectors induce an epileptic fit? There is a really small chance of that.....hey, can you hear me! Hey Listen!" En flew around Selmas head. "Don't swallow your tongue! It'll be really bad.....lie down on your side and think of something happy but not funny to calm down."
    "En, please, she's been through a lot, many of those from A-9 have been through much emotional turmoil. It's not easy holding it inside for so long."
    Last edited by Tami; 08-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Peeling her mask off her perspiration-covered face, Kinu, shook her bicoloured mane out, and scrunched her eyes to make sure she wasn't hallucinating from the elevation.

"...so you're a ghost?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Then, a familiar voice rang from somewhere nearby. It belonged to En, but a body wasn't around to match the voice. That was until a body just... appeared out of nowhere, in the form of a girl with... bug wings? "What?"

She had bug wings. Butterfly wings? With the Dragon and Roach within spitting distance, that didn't bother her. What did was the fact that this person just appeared out of thin air. Xia had seen some **** in the last day, but this... "What the hell is this, some kind of ghost?" she demanded of Mercer.
    "Ghost? Oh no...I gave that nickname to Gee Gee. I'm an advanced logistic, intelligence and command emulator....no wait that's confusing. I'm a smart Intelligence that operates day to day functions aboard this vessel...." En put a small hand under her chin. "Maybe the one I use for the kids.....*ahem* I'm a magic fairy princess that rules over the the land of Tetanus! Don't touch the rusty metal or I'll curse you!" The girl posed.

"Near as I can figure....she's a old Artificial Intelligence....Learning one." Mulvric finally chimed in. "Think of it like a person, but build rather then born. Least that is how she was when I found this place......"

There were so many lights in this room, streaking across the floor, jutting out of the ceiling, that it was already reminding her of the slums they just left. How do your eyes adjust to this mess? Blech!

"...so, uh...Spirit of the Boat," she address En, "I guess that Dampener...thing, Red mentioned has certain exceptions for butterflies, right?"

Kinu blinked stiffly, looked over to Blondie, back to the phantom light array, the blinking consoles, and back to Blondie again.

"...heh heh...heh...," she shrugged, nodding as she chuckled over a toothy grin, eyes, darting from side to side revealing utter confusion. "...yeah...that's a good one...?"

...I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    This was an unexpected reaction to En, "Ms. Selma?" Saint asked gently, "I can imagine how overwhelming this might be. If you need time, there are places to sit down and rest. If you need water, I'm sure that can be arranged."
    "Aha.....ahhh......why is she laughing like that?" En mouthed quickly in Mulvrics direction, to which the old man replied with a confused shrug. "....Ahhh.....did the projectors induce an epileptic fit? There is a really small chance of that.....hey, can you hear me! Hey Listen!" En flew around Selmas head. "Don't swallow your tongue! It'll be really bad.....lie down on your side and think of something happy but not funny to calm down."
    Selma began taking deep breaths, trying to calm down. It took several moments, but she managed to calm down, though she still released the occasional giggle and hiccup, tears still lightly flowed down her face.

"So-sorry, it's... it's just that my best friend Jamie, my brother really, loved technology. He was always tinkering with some junk he'd found in the rich folks garbage, and kept going on about things like holograms and 'artificial intelligences' and the like. He... he'd really have loved to have met you, En." She chuckled sadly as she said "Probably would have adored you and tried to get you to explain everything about you. In depth."
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Retired Overlord

There were so many lights in this room, streaking across the floor, jutting out of the ceiling, that it was already reminding her of the slums they just left. How do your eyes adjust to this mess? Blech!

"...so, uh...Spirit of the Boat," she address En, "I guess that Dampener...thing, Red mentioned has certain exceptions for butterflies, right?".
    "Oh no, it affects everyone...but I don't use magic." En replied with a smile. "I can't, because I'm not alive.....you need some level of spiritual existence to use magic. This is just special light projectors creating a fixed image.....if you tried to touch me, it would pass right through....like a ghost! OHH I get it now!" En slapped her hand into her palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Pulling his hood down from his head, Matthias stepped forward to get a little closer look. "Well," he smiled, "You're more of a Surprise than an Enterprise." He then gave her a slight nod, "It's an honor to finally meet you, En."
    "Ahahaha! That one was awful! Nice job Saint!" En gave a thumbs up. "I saw you a long time ago when you were watching us from afar......I have a knack for spotting good people ya know. That's why I had Ange come out to see you that day."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Owen stares a moment, then smiles warmly and doffs his hat with a polite bow.

“Investigator Owen Calliburn, Miss En, at your service. A pleasure to meet your acquaintance.”
    "Your the one who managed to charm a witch right?" En shook her fists excitedly. "Nice work, I don't think things would have went half as well had you not been there."
    Last edited by MrSandman; 08-10-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

"Oh no, it affects everyone...but I don't use magic." En replied with a smile. "I can't, because I'm not alive.....you need some level of spiritual existence to use magic. This is just special light projectors creating a fixed image.....if you tried to touch me, it would pass right through....like a ghost! OHH I get it now!" En slapped her hand into her palm.

"Ahahaha! That one was awful! Nice job Saint!" En gave a thumbs up. "I saw you a long time ago when you were watching us from afar......I have a knack for spotting good people ya know. That's why I had Ange come out to see you that day."

"Your the one who managed to charm a witch right?" En shook her fists excitedly. "Nice work, I don't think things would have went half as well had you not been there."
    He replaces his hat and chuckles a bit, a sweat drop appearing at his forehead.

“Ehh, less charm and more ‘convince’ not to murder us. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to hold up my end of that bargain.”

He looks around, Keen Eye in full effect.

“You have an impressive hideout here, En. I hope if I have the chance I’ll be able to explore and learn a bit more about you and this ship.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

"So, En your an onboard digital knowledge archive and navigational assistant, huh. Tell me, does EN have a psychiatrist on staff? I need to gain access to repressed memories I have," Jacob said.

Rhea just stares at En. ( I wonder if this thing I can see me?) Rhea thought.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

"Ghost? Oh no...I gave that nickname to Gee Gee. I'm an advanced logistic, intelligence and command emulator....no wait that's confusing. I'm a smart Intelligence that operates day to day functions aboard this vessel...." En put a small hand under her chin. "Maybe the one I use for the kids.....*ahem* I'm a magic fairy princess that rules over the the land of Tetanus! Don't touch the rusty metal or I'll curse you!" The girl posed.

"Near as I can figure....she's a old Artificial Intelligence....Learning one." Mulvric finally chimed in. "Think of it like a person, but build rather then born. Least that is how she was when I found this place......"
    Xia was even more confused than she was before the explanation. She figured the entire fairy bullshit was just that, some kind of joke this thing thought was funny. But artificial intelligence? Some could fake being smart? The **** was that?

"What?" She muttered something else under her breath. "How can you fake being intelligent? You're either smart or you're not?" It was completely beyond her comprehension. Again, she found herself cursing herself for forgetting that beer.

She glanced at En, then let her eyes trail upward to the machine from which she appeared. It was something, some kind of projector maybe. She had seen one in Li's home, but it was a lot less advanced than this. That one could only show still images one a piece of clear paper. This "artificial intelligence" could talk, move, and think for itself. It was fucking madness.

Blinking a few times, she turned to Mulvric . "There any beer in this heap? I'm not drunk enough for this ****."
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

edited out for reasons
    Last edited by Tami; 08-10-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

After keeping an eye on Morgen for the majority of the trek through the underground tunnel, Arx had broken from the group as soon as they hit the treeline. Cramped confines, and an appetite that was very rapidly taking up real estate in her head, were not the best environment. Plus, the shackle around her neck was not simply for the aesthetic.

... Heavy as it was, it served as a reminder of just how recently she'd escaped confinement.

Held in place by rocks, and overgrown with jungle like trees, was a massive metallic vessel unlike anything the majority of them had ever seen before. There was no indication of how it had managed to get where it now rested, but all around it small buildings, huts, ladders and hanging structures had been attached. It appeared as though work had been done to multiple parts over the course of many years.....and a village of sorts had been built up below, around and on top of it. Several attempts were seemingly ongoing in keeping the thing intact and supported.
    Arx arrived to the vessel a short time after the others began scaling the ladder and descending into its belly.

Instead of rushing up into it along with them, she simply waited until the last had slipped inside before scaling the derelict beast herself; enough time 'batten down the hatches'. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman
    "Welcome home papa." The holographic girl, barely half the size of Morgan, fluttered excitedly. ".....and the rest of you as well! I guess I can give you a much better introduction now."

The girl plants her hand on her hologram chest. "I am the onboard digital knowledge archive and navigational assistant for the USS Enterprise, CVF-12....My name is Enterprise, but people just call me En. You can call me that too, but I'm still taking suggestions on a nice code name."
    Skittering inside herself a short-while later Arx was quick to find the group conversing with some manner of non-magical hologram; self described as a 'knowledge archive'- from what she knew of humans and their technology something altogether uncommon- though this one seemed somewhat more advanced and curiously, address itself as:

"En."

Arx parroted, as she leaned against the door-frame to the the room. "Sorry for the mess." She was of course talking about the state of her. Tattered, bloodstained clothes; and the shackle with it's broken chain dangling down from her neck.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Selma began taking deep breaths, trying to calm down. It took several moments, but she managed to calm down, though she still released the occasional giggle and hiccup, tears still lightly flowed down her face.

"So-sorry, it's... it's just that my best friend Jamie, my brother really, loved technology. He was always tinkering with some junk he'd found in the rich folks garbage, and kept going on about things like holograms and 'artificial intelligences' and the like. He... he'd really have loved to have met you, En." She chuckled sadly as she said "Probably would have adored you and tried to get you to explain everything about you. In depth."
    "Awww....Then he isn't with you anymore?" En asked. "......A-9?" There was a long pause.

"I'm sorry.....We'll do everything in our power to find out what happened, you can count on me." En fluttered over and nodded confidently.

"Ghost? Oh no...I gave that nickname to Gee Gee. I'm an advanced logistic, intelligence and command emulator....no wait that's confusing.
    "...haah...?"

I'm a smart Intelligence that operates day to day functions aboard this vessel...." En put a small hand under her chin.
    "...ehh? Eeeeehh?"

"Maybe the one I use for the kids.....*ahem* I'm a magic fairy princess that rules over the the land of Tetanus! Don't touch the rusty metal or I'll curse you!" The girl posed.
    "...o-okay..."

...they let kids in this place?

"...I thought you said she was your daughter...and you kept callin' him papa," Kinu mused, moving across the hall away from the flashing consoles, and rapping her knuckles against the oddly pristine steel wall.

"...well, anyway, guess it doesn't really matter. You're..." she drew a circle in the air with her pointer finger before her, "...you're here. Right."

She cleared her throat. Though she was obviously still quite puzzled by the nature of this...old...baby...butterfly...ghost daughter...here in the belly of the rusted steel boat, they had to get down to brass tacks.

"So. Now that we're away from the big, scary city," she said, turning to Mulvric, "your head still foggy? Offering the 9ers hope is nice, but I'm gonna tell the lot of you now that dreams gotta start on more than nothing. And that means giving me more than a lightshow, yeah?"

Ooc: Hey, Gunvolt spirte. Cool.

Ic

“ A ship Mind. Is t this great? Well a team of researchers, a thinking machine as the leader makes sense. This is all archanotech. Seriously great stuff.”

"Awww....Then he isn't with you anymore?" En asked. "......A-9?" There was a long pause.

"I'm sorry.....We'll do everything in our power to find out what happened, you can count on me." En fluttered over and nodded confidently.
    Selma gave a small smile as she replied "Thanks En."

Deciding to try and take her mind off the topic, she looked at En's wings and asked "So, mind me asking why exactly you're a fairy? Just personal preference or something else?"
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

OOC: Post under revision
    Last edited by Noldere; 08-11-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Going back to the drawing board
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Is this how a bird, caged since birth, feels being set free? To marvel at the world beyond its cage, to relish in the joy of its freedom, but yet be stricken by the growing fear of uncertainty, having never been taught just what to do with that freedom?

I had seen trees before but those sad saplings made for decorum purposes in comparison to these mighty beings! It was beautiful how the canopies blocked the sky, replacing the heavens and allowing the bits of sunlight beaming through their leaves to play the role of stars in the verdant night sky. I will have to admit that I've struggled to clearly express just how I felt when I was brought out to the true nature of the world. It was like I was reborn to a new world, so strange and exciting, but lacking the comforts that knowledge brought. I will also admit that I might have gotten slightly lost while admiring those new surroundings. As weary as I was of life in the Urban Center, worn down by the series of unfortunate events that had reduced me to hiding with untrustworthy individuals and possible criminals, I knew that I was far too sheltered to be able to survive out there on my own, although at that realization, I was still new to the knowledge of Tekeli-li's vigilance.

Fortunately, the group I had traveled with, although troublesome in my opinion at the time, was thankfully noisy enough to hear in the distance. Barring a distance of running, I would rejoin them soon enough to find my already awestruck expectations blown away at the sight of the massive structure wedged within a range of small mountains. So taken back as I was, I didn't even notice the dullness that had overtaken the others and myself due in part to the dampening field, but I could also attribute that to having not heard any prior expectations. The structure, -an aircraft carrier, I would later discover- reminded me of a titanous beast corpse, long since slain by unknown hunters. To see this and the life thriving about it through the growing villages and homes built from and around it, further instilled my need to know more about the world prior to the Ruin...

Sigourney would prove to be extremely quiet during the entire trek, almost as if she might not have been there for certain portions, yet she would be among those counted on the lift as it ascended. It was within those close quarters that some of them might have heard the soft scratching of a pen across paper as she appeared to attempt to record every single detail they experienced. Even as they were led through flights of stairs and rooms was the girl ever-so-documenting. It was only when they were brought to their destination and their host finally appeared, spawned from the technological aether, did Sigourney raise her head.

"Welcome Aboard!" A polite, mildly excited voice came around all around the room....quickly the source could be determined as the speaker system. "Its so good to see you all made it here safe....just a moment, let me warm up the emitters."

A soft glow emanated from multiple projectors, spilling a multicolored light that converged into the center of the bridge....first coalesing into a blob of shimmering rainbow light before growing and taking on a proper shape and color.

"En." Mulvric smiled.

"Welcome home papa." The holographic girl, barely half the size of Morgan, fluttered excitedly. ".....and the rest of you as well! I guess I can give you a much better introduction now."

The girl plants her hand on her hologram chest. "I am the onboard digital knowledge archive and navigational assistant for the USS Enterprise, CVF-12....My name is Enterprise, but people just call me En. You can call me that too, but I'm still taking suggestions on a nice code name."

"Just what is this..." Having approached, the girl's first reaction was to simply poke the hologram, as if to see if she would physically touch the fairy-like being or if to gauge something from the illusions of light. Either response would leave her softly grumbling as she jotted down a note in her diary, "E-N... Ian... no, that's predominantly male."