Page 46 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Default Observations: Part 1.

Owen walks slowly through the slums, familiar enough with the area that he doesn’t get lost. He disappears amongst the crowds and people, using skills earned over a lifetime of investigations to blend into the crowd. Eventually, he decided to spend time gathering what information he can, and he reverts back to his fathers training and skills.

After some time, and after disguising himself as far older than he appears, Owen can be found entertaining small groups of children and their parents (if any) in exchange for information. Using the sleight of hand learned by his father, with small and clever applications of his psychokinesis, he performs basic but entertaining magic tricks and feats. The kids seem amused at the free entertainment in such a glum place, and the parents and guardians, though leery at first, eventually open up to Owen and answer questions.

He gets a basic layout of the surrounding area, the ins and outs, the escape routes and hidden back ways that only denizens would actually know. He learns who to avoid, where not to go, and who or where are safe places to stash.

He also simply listens and observed when not amusing the children, using Keen Eye and Identify to study the area and its people more thoroughly.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Owen walks slowly through the slums, familiar enough with the area that he doesn’t get lost. He disappears amongst the crowds and people, using skills earned over a lifetime of investigations to blend into the crowd. Eventually, he decided to spend time gathering what information he can, and he reverts back to his fathers training and skills.

After some time, and after disguising himself as far older than he appears, Owen can be found entertaining small groups of children and their parents (if any) in exchange for information. Using the sleight of hand learned by his father, with small and clever applications of his psychokinesis, he performs basic but entertaining magic tricks and feats. The kids seem amused at the free entertainment in such a glum place, and the parents and guardians, though leery at first, eventually open up to Owen and answer questions.

He gets a basic layout of the surrounding area, the ins and outs, the escape routes and hidden back ways that only denizens would actually know. He learns who to avoid, where not to go, and who or where are safe places to stash.

He also simply listens and observed when not amusing the children, using Keen Eye and Identify to study the area and its people more thoroughly.
    "E...Excuse me." A timid voice calls out, and Owen fells a tug on the back of his clothes. Turning around there is a young girl, barely over 14, and about a foot taller then his waist. The girls looks up at him with nervous doe eyes, and fidgets with a piece of paper. "Ahh...I.....I'm looking for my papa...." She fidgets again. "Can you please help me...?"

The girl presents the piece of paper.

There is a picture of Mulvric on it.

Owens senses are screaming danger.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "E...Excuse me." A timid voice calls out, and Owen fells a tug on the back of his clothes. Turning around there is a young girl, barely over 14, and about a foot taller then his waist. The girls looks up at him with nervous doe eyes, and fidgets with a piece of paper. "Ahh...I.....I'm looking for my papa...." She fidgets again. "Can you please help me...?"

The girl presents the piece of paper.

There is a picture of Mulvric on it.

Owens senses are screaming danger.
    Owen pauses, as if examining the paper while keeping his face calm.

“I’m sorry child, I’m not familiar.”

OT: Danger from her or towards her or him?
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Entering the bunker, Matthias looks around and notices that some of the runaways are missing. Standing just inside the doorway, but behind the door where no one could see him, Matthias extended his senses. He started to seek out the others, or other dangers, looking for abnormal energy patterns that might indicate where they were, or if there is anyone else on their trail.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired Overlord

Owen pauses, as if examining the paper while keeping his face calm.

“I’m sorry child, I’m not familiar.”

OT: Danger from her or towards her or him?
    OT: Towards him, hinging on his answers.

"Oh?" The girl pulls back the paper. ".........*sniff*....are you sure.....then maybe you seen mommy?" The girl reaches into her clothes and pulls out another piece pf paper.....and with a dozen others come flying out and spill all over the street in front of her. The girl lets out a panic'd yelp and hops down to start gathering. Among them Owen can see pictures of Grey Ghost, Mercer, Saint and others who were at the terminal.

At dawn, Morgen 'woke' from her 'sleep'. The assault she experienced in the elevator came back in the morning as waves of pain pulsing through her body -- she felt stiff and sore, as though she'd slept a pile of gravel, and her sensitive nose had still yet to become accustomed to the pungent odor of the slums. Her sincere, down-to-earth disposition from the last night all but vanished, replaced by an overwhelming sense of irritability.

"Marie!" she called, forcefully combing her fingers through her hair. "Marie, what is this--"
    She blinked. Oh. Right, she was somewhere else now. Groggily, she recalled the events of the night before, laying motionless for a while. But she steadily began to feel increasingly heated as the embarrassment of her crying tantrum came to mind and she suddenly found the energy to pull herself out of bed in one swift motion. Morgen held a palm to her forehead and grit her teeth.

I am leaving this rotten place as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    OT: Towards him, hinging on his answers.

"Oh?" The girl pulls back the paper. ".........*sniff*....are you sure.....then maybe you seen mommy?" The girl reaches into her clothes and pulls out another piece pf paper.....and with a dozen others come flying out and spill all over the street in front of her. The girl lets out a panic'd yelp and hops down to start gathering. Among them Owen can see pictures of Grey Ghost, Mercer, Saint and others who were at the terminal.
    Making a show up bending over slowly due to a bad back and knees, a performance Owen has done before several times, he starts helping her pick up the flyers.

“Oh dear or dear, be careful young miss.”

He makes sure he doesn’t look like he has actually seen the papers as he helps her gather them up.

“I’m sorry, child. My darn knees aren’t very cooperative. You said you had a picture of your mother, hmm?”

———————

Back at Mulvric’s base, another Owen simply appears and looks around for Mulvric.

“Hey, we got an issue here. Where’s Mulvric?”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Entering the bunker, Matthias looks around and notices that some of the runaways are missing. Standing just inside the doorway, but behind the door where no one could see him, Matthias extended his senses. He started to seek out the others, or other dangers, looking for abnormal energy patterns that might indicate where they were, or if there is anyone else on their trail.
    Just as he was zeroing in on an energy signature, another one shows up without warning. The effect is much like how it is with Ange, yet different.

Making a show up bending over slowly due to a bad back and knees, a performance Owen has done before several times, he starts helping her pick up the flyers.

“Oh dear or dear, be careful young miss.”

He makes sure he doesn’t look like he has actually seen the papers as he helps her gather them up.

“I’m sorry, child. My darn knees aren’t very cooperative. You said you had a picture of your mother, hmm?”

———————

Back at Mulvric’s base, another Owen simply appears and looks around for Mulvric.

“Hey, we got an issue here. Where’s Mulvric?”
    Turning to the sound of the Gumshoe's voice, Mathias reenters the Common area of the Bunker. "An issue?" He asked as he approached, sounding concerned and looking concerend as well.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Default Guardian of The Streets, Part II

The slums were nearly universal in their design, as far as Xia had observed. Shabby houses that were rundown and nearly unfit for human occupation. The "shopping centers" were a bazaar-styled outdoor area. The Boss People provided only the absolute bare necessities for life, nothing more. Everything else had to be provided by the people themselves. Some grew vegetables, others used their hands to created different things that people may need, others knitted clothes together. The only way to survive was to pull your own weight, or steal. Xia did the latter, but she had seen plenty of people die on the streets because they didn't want to do the former and couldn't bring themselves to do the latter, or were stopped before they could.

It was another reason she was giving back. She knew how hard it was the toil away day in and day out for very little in return. Life in the slums was hard; the least she could do was make it easier for them for a day.

She found an empty table in the center of the bazaar and set up shop. She started by dropping a scoop of eggs on a plate, along with a waffle and setting it down. She repeated until the entire table was full of plates. People were cautiously watching her, but they all seemed to skittish to step forward. That was until a young boy dared to approach.

"Can I have a plate?" he asked meekly, a fistful of crumpled up money in his hand.

She felt a smile tugging at the ends of her lips. "Sure. Put your money away; it's free."

The kid flashed a toothy grin and snatched a plate off the table. "Thanks, lady!"

The dam had broken. The moment the kid walked away while happily munching on a waffle, scores of people approached and started taking a plate for themselves. Her cooking wasn't the best, but seeing the happy smiles on people's faces at not having to worry about what they were going to eat for breakfast that day made it okay.

The eggs and waffles disappeared far faster than she anticipated. And given how hard food was to come by while hiding underground, she wouldn't be able to come back the next day. She sighed and put the containers away and hefted her bag over her shoulder.

She traveled deeper into the slums, into the "residential" areas. Many were hollowed out and barely standing, but the people inside made it work. She wasn't the best at handiwork, but she was good enough. Years of this helped her improve her skills in too many areas to count. One family needed repairs on the roof, but no way to do them. She had it done in thirty minutes by nailing a piece of wood over the bad area, then nailing a tarp over that to keep the rain off. Where did she get the wood and tarp? That wasn't important. What was important was that when people saw her fix the roof, they started approaching her with different jobs they needed done. Some offered to pay her, which she always declined. It wasn't about making a profit; it was about assuaging some of the worries these people had weighing on their shoulders.

The Boss People weren't going to lift a finger to help. It might as well have been her.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Just as he was zeroing in on an energy signature, another one shows up without warning. The effect is much like how it is with Ange, yet different.

Turning to the sound of the Gumshoe's voice, Mathias reenters the Common area of the Bunker. "An issue?" He asked as he approached, sounding concerned and looking concerend as well.
    Stark nods.

“Some kid, an Administration plant or Witch, is out there with flyers of Mulvric and several of your guys faces. She claims to be Mulvric’s daughter, but my danger sense is pinging like mad from her. “
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Stark nods.

“Some kid, an Administration plant or Witch, is out there with flyers of Mulvric and several of your guys faces. She claims to be Mulvric’s daughter, but my danger sense is pinging like mad from her. “
    "I assume you managed to get away from her?"

OOC: Matthias doens't know Owen can split in two.

"I assume you managed to get away from her?"

OOC: Matthias doens't know Owen can split in two.
    Stark pauses only momentarily before responding.

“She didn’t follow me.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

edited out
    Last edited by Tami; 08-01-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Default The Slum-Quest of an Unwritten Diary: 01

By the time most of them had noticed, Sigourney was gone. Unable to sleep in such an unfamiliar setting, the girl had bided her time until dawn's approach and while the others were rousing to consciousness, she had already delved out into the cool air of the waking world. The gurgle and growling of her stomach was the only indication that she had forgotten something, but food would wait as she deemed this journey far more in importance. If she was to stay with the rebels, even for another day, she would need the emotional crutch of being able to vent by putting her feelings into words. The slip of paper she had grabbed from the terminal had been nowhere enough to sate her demands, so she would need something more substantial.

A stranger to this center, without currency, and wanted by the authorities; the challenges she faced for a mere notebook were mounting, but she cared not. Her mental wellbeing was reaching a frayed strand, a mere twig destined to be overwhelmed by all the emotional turmoil heaped upon her in the past 24 hours. Despite this, she moved with a purpose although she knew not where to go; for while new to the slums of A-11, Sigourney was well acquainted with the dwellings of the impoverished. Dipping into the damped moss-lined alleyways filled with overflowing dumpsters and discarded trash, the drunkards and despair broken homeless briefly acknowledged her only to disregard within the span of a blink. Questions were never asked in the alleys, and all were welcomed.

Hushed whispers echoed off the brick walls from unsavory deals hidden in the shade, yet she cared not. Her focus was on any visible signs of schools, abandoned or occupied, general stores, or anything else that might house the stationary she sought. The sounds of bells jingling and voices rising and the scent of food cooking from market stalls on one of the main streets caught her attention and stepping out from the alley, the girl would find herself in a bazaar of sorts. Tarps, canvas, tapestries, and blankets shaded the open stalls, with various trinkets and objects hanging or resting on every available surface that the merchants could display them. A majority of the merchants, still shaking off sleep or hangovers through mugs of coffee, ignored her, perhaps sensing that there would be no benefit to helping her, but there were the more eager (or desperate) among them who began to peddle their wares at her. Most of what was flaunted was cheap knock off jewelry and fashion accessories, none of which interested her, and what books she did browse were already inked and titled. Dejected, Sigourney paused in her steps and took in the sight of it all, sorting through the details in an attempt to find something she might have missed.

That was when she heard it.

"Phsst!"

Despite the growing sounds of the markets as they came to life, the voice was as audible as if the speaker were in her very ears... although it wasn't such a pleasant thing. With the next few words spoken, her skin crawled as the voice seemed unnatural. A deep baritone, yet nasally, reminded her of a fly buzzing through a downpour of gravel and the speaker's accent was as if it were broken English, being spoken in another and then another broken accent.

"You, yes you! Smol hume child! Very handsome man, yes."

Disturbance turned to annoyance rather quickly, but she was too concerned about keeping her skin attached as it fought to crawl away from the sound, "Where are you... who-- what are you?"

"You come to Mostro."

Much to her relief, the voice was no longer in her ear, but rather behind her and as she turned, she faced a tent of heavy clothes with dubious clouds of pinkish smoke seeping out. Fighting back the urge to flee from this obvious bad idea, the girl stepped in and immediately regretted it as she choked on the thick clouds of... whatever it was. It was spicy and irritated her eyes, but was also sickeningly sweet to the taste. Through squinted eyes she saw the only occupant of the tent was a cowled and cloaked figure behind a makeshift count of cardboard boxes and dry rotted wooden boxes.

"Hallo, smol boi. Mostro wishes you a great tiddy day."

"W-w-what...?" The girl was dumbfounded.

"It joke. Great joke. Many men like tiddy, Mostro say it tiddy day, men feel happy about day and pay Mostro lot."

She wasn't sure if it was the obnoxious smoke, or obnoxious joke, or the repeated times the merchant had called her a boy, but Sigourney felt what was either a headache or brain aneurysm forming.

"P-please..." She began, "Stop with the greetings... what do you want?"

"Good!" Mostro said, happy to get down to business. Fidgeting with something beneath his cloak, the mysterious merchant apparently dropped something as she could hear glass shattering from behind the counter. Apparently unconcerned with that fumble, he immediately opened up with, "Mostro have what smol want."
    Last edited by Yun Lao; 07-31-2020 at 06:54 PM.

: Levin this whole time picked a quiet spot, sat down and focused, heavily.:

The f one could note his muscles we’re being jacked and worked out. Yep, can work out just by thinking hard. As he did this in a trance, trying to push his body to further limits.