Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 1117
  1. #721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Much obliged," Omu nodded his head, graciously taking the plate and digging in with as much refinement as a creature with giant mandible could muster.



    "True enough. Centipedes even less so, though that's generally for a different reason..." He laughed, as his mandibles grabbed the last morsel of food from his plate. "But like my smaller counterparts, I always find my way into the places I'm least wanted. Half the time for the benefit of those who don't appreciate it."
    "...I can only imagine-," Kinu said, pausing to dab the corners of her mouth with the back of her wrist.

    Her parted lips seemed to water for a moment; she sucked down beer and swallowed hard.

    "-you've eaten well to get this large. You could throw your size around if you wanted, yeah? Still sneaking around, and only got caught because of an inside botch...," she mused. "Still keeping true to what you are and what you want. I can respect it."

    "Though I'm sure a choice few people at the top ain't gonna appreciate that, either."

  2. #722
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hellís Brigade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    House Deathstalker
    Posts
    10,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    After a few moments, Owen feels something strange stuck to his back....a quick yank reveals it as one of the pieces of paper the girl had dropped. This one holds his image, and seems draw to him by some force akin to static.

    Sudden the paper straightens out, jerks free of his hand and spins in the air...picking up speed until it’s akin to a flying buzzsaw, then dives towards Owen to attempt taking his head off.
    He holds it back with his psychokinesis.

    “Weak sauce. About what I’d expect from someone like you.”

    He attempts to rip it apart via his psychokinesis.

    —————

    Stark raises an eyebrow.

    “Hmm.....troubling. Good catch, Owen.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SOís Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

  3. #723
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melon God View Post
    Ange disappeared. Morgen turned and picked up voices from within the house -- and of course with her luck, she'd returned on a day when her folks had decided to have someone over. Instinctively she lifted her sleeve up to her nose and sniffed a few times, wondering if the stench of the slums would follow her inside. Not that she cared much for the first impressions, but she felt she'd had quite enough of embarrassing the family the past few months... or years. She didn't touch anything that dirty so it was probably fine, but she knew she wouldn't stop thinking about it until she changed her clothes and took a bath.

    She stared absentmindedly at the gate as these thoughts circled around in her head, when a firm hand on her shoulder suddenly jolted her back to reality. Whirling around in surprise, she staggered a step back and...

    Lucia Dupont stood before her, grinning like a fool.

    "I got your message, baby sis," she said, still smiling. Immediately, it was clear something was off. Lucia never smiled like that because she was happy. She was doing it because she was about to hurt her.

    "A little late, don't you think...?" Morgen returned quietly, feeling her heart beat faster. Her eyes averted Lucia's cold gaze. "Were you only leaving the house just now? And I'm not a baby."

    "Let's talk inside, yeah?" Lucia ignored the question and took her sister gently by the hand, leading her to the entrance. With a trace of her finger, a key materialized out of thin air, constructed of clear, dense crystal. It slid smoothly into the gate's lock, and with a satisfying click the steel doors groaned open. Inside the estate the voices grew louder, but Morgen paid little mind to them -- her undivided attention was granted to her sister, who had led her into an empty guest room. Quietly, Lucia closed the door behind them, and the voices became muffled background noise.

    Morgen let go of the breath she'd been holding in. "If this about--"

    "What happened?"

    The air became frigid. She swallowed uncomfortably, looking up and meeting Lucia's unreadable stare. At the time, all she had wanted to do was help, but now she was sorely regretting ever making that call. Morgen couldn't quite piece together what her sister was feeling, but she was too afraid to ask. She was too afraid to answer too, and pursed her lips shut. Was she angry? Worried? Curious?

    Lucia took her palms and squished Morgen's cheeks together. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me. I want you to tell me what's up." Morgen kept quiet for a while. It was as Ange said -- it was best she didn't bring up last night's events to her family, even if she did generally trust Lucia.

    "I... just ended up getting lost a bit, during the chaos," she said, thinking over her words. "I wasn't entirely familiar with the layout of the area--"

    "Morgen..."

    "--and it was dangerous on the street, so I--"

    Lucia grabbed Morgen by the collar and violently slammed her head into hers. With a pained squeal, she fell to the floor and curled up into a ball, clutching her forehead. Tears formed in her eyes as thunderous waves of pain pounded through head, as though her skull were being torn open. The ramming she'd gotten from the dragon felt like a shoulder check compared to the excruciating pain she was feeling now.

    "Morgen, come on. Don't lie to me." The elder sister crouched down, running her fingers softly through Morgen's hair as she balled up further. "You asked if I trusted you. And I do. But I don't think you trust me." Lucia helped her stand to her feet, holding her crying younger sister to her chest and patting her on the back. "Sh, it's okay. You're okay. You're not a baby, remember? It'll only hurt for a minute." She wiped Morgen's tears away. "I wouldn't have had to hit you if you didn't lie to me... you understand that, right? Just be honest. I promise I won't get mad."

    "..." As bitter as Morgen felt, she was right. The pain started to dissipate almost as quickly as it had come.

    "I know you were helping EN." Her heart froze. How did she know that? No, more importantly, was there anything else she knew? Morgen held her hand still, feeling it start to shake. "You thought I never came for you, huh? Tsk, tsk, tsk... I know how to find my own sister. But listen, this is great news. Shuri's always trying to one-up you, but this is your big break -- you tell the Administratum what you know and who knows? Maybe they'll pull a few strings for you... get that witch job you've been working so hard for." Lucia gave her one more hard pat on the back. "Sounds good? Come on, there's someone you should meet."

    With that, she grabbed Morgen by the hand again and led her into the dining room...
    Quite literally shepherded along, Morgan entered the kitchen in time to catch the tail end of something rather humorous if the two woman chuckling at the table over tea was any indication. Morgans Mother, Roselyn, glanced up from her tea cup, eyeing the two daughters entering with only a hint of curiosity in her bemused expressed. Perhaps she had intended to ask her wayward daughter where she had been all the night before......but any attempt was interrupted, rather politely in face, by the second woman.

    Placing her teacup aside and drawing herself from the table, the woman stood up to quite an imposing height.....and in her shadow, something dreadful dawned upon the young Dupont girl. "Oh my....who is this then?"

    "Oh dear....perhaps your memory needs some work." Roselyn chucked off to the side. "Surely you've met my daughters."

    "I beg your forgiveness...I was merely put off my guard by how charming your daughters have became" The woman stepped up to them, beaming an intense aura to match her charmed smile. "Hello Lucia, and......Hmm.....Morgan was it?" The woman leaned forward, leveling her eyes with Morgans. ".......Yes, the apple doesn't fall far does it....graced with another beautiful daughter. Roselyn I'm moderately jealous...."

    The woman motioned her hand, an unconsciously Morgan found she had extended hers....even though she didn't remember the action itself. Without missing a beat, the lady took her hand gentley by her fingers, leaned in and gave her a kiss on the knuckle.

    "Gretel dear....must you swing your charms around on everyone....my daughters no less." Roselyn seemed amused at action.

    Standing up to her full height once more, Morgan realized where she had seen and heard the woman standing in front of her countless times in the past. A friend of the family, a face on the television, a name on every administrative notice.....

    Administrator Gretel

    "This is but a formal greeting is it not?" Gretel asked with a look of amusement. "In any event....its so wonderful to see your doing well. Your mother tells me you were late coming in the other night..." Gretel turns and returns to her seat, taking a sip of tea before sighing. "What a dreary couple of days.......Between A-9 and the Skyport incident, I've been flooded with concerns from multiple departments. I can only thank the Nephilim that I have a friend like your mother to hide me every now and again before alices incessant chittering drives me to an early grave." Gretel manages a small chuckle at the Irony of the statement. "It will be another week before the skyport is usable again........and the rebels are holding dozens of innocent civilians hostage somewhere in the slums. What a mess......"

  4. #724
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    He holds it back with his psychokinesis.

    “Weak sauce. About what I’d expect from someone like you.”

    He attempts to rip it apart via his psychokinesis.
    The paper is surprisingly sturdy, and strong as his psychokinesis is....he can't seem to rip it. Thankfully it seems he can hold it at bay for the moment, as the force of his push seems to be slowing its ability to advance.

    Yet.....his choice of words seems to strike a nerve with someone, somewhere.....or perhaps just the piece of paper itself, because the force pushing the spinning paper seems to intensify.....pushing through his psychokinesis and approaching him faster and faster.

  5. #725
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hellís Brigade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    House Deathstalker
    Posts
    10,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    The paper is surprisingly sturdy, and strong as his psychokinesis is....he can't seem to rip it. Thankfully it seems he can hold it at bay for the moment, as the force of his push seems to be slowing its ability to advance.

    Yet.....his choice of words seems to strike a nerve with someone, somewhere.....or perhaps just the piece of paper itself, because the force pushing the spinning paper seems to intensify.....pushing through his psychokinesis and approaching him faster and faster.
    He pushes against it harder, grinning, straining.

    “So you can see me. Hear me. Good. Because only a fool would fall for such an obvious lure like you have, but my father always said that most people are suckers. You sure are. Played your hand way too quick.”

    He pushes with all his might.

    “Well, here’s the end of the trick. See you around, kid.”

    He winks, grins wider, and reverses his power, yanking the paper as hard as he can.

    As soon as the blade slits his throat, his body disappears completely and the paper ends up embedded into the ally wall behind where Owen once stood, bloodless and with no evidence it just slit a man’s throat.

    ———

    Stark blinks and rubs at his neck.

    Looking around, Owen drops his right hand from his neck and talks to Mulvric.

    “We should probably hurry. Our hunter is a bit sick.”

    He explains about her using paper to attack as well, while getting his proper clothes and umbrella back from where he stored them. He pats the revolver and holsters it again, before turning back to Mulvric.

    “Any idea who my stalker was? Paper manipulation seems a unique ability.”
    Last edited by Cleric of Hellís Brigade; 08-02-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SOís Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

  6. #726

    Default Joshi Daybreak

    The people trickled through the alleyways and the masked woman followed.

    Under the hazy grey of late morning, Kinu took in the sights of the place as she leapt from rooftop to rooftop, and crouched beneath old signs and stovepipes, it was a bleaker picture than she had expected. Despite being this high up, she could not see the skyline, nor any hint of the wall that separated the inner ring, only a glimpse of the arcane sigils, like painted stripes that held the spell of the Outer Ward. Of course, Kinu could still make out A-11's Conflux Spire, that towering axis where it stood in the centre of the Administrator's district.

    Whatever the light touches is theirs...and she controls the light.

    The sight was inescapable, a reminder of the dominion they held over all that beheld them, the magnitude of this scope of control was enough to remind any who beheld it of the imposition of this order. This far away, the slums to her view didn't know any of the vivid illumnation, but for what little hints leaked from behind the zone wall.

    Into the squalor below where Kinu stood it only loaned it a shade of brown brick and grey in this, the haven of undesireables. They were the farthest from the touch of the Adminstration, certainly; boxed out from within and cloistered in from the threat outside.

    Are they that afraid of Ruin? Hmmh...

    With nowhere to go, so many who did not possess any magical talent just packed themselves in here. It wasn't so bad near the Skyport, that much foot traffic just kept one busy, Kinu supposed. Down here, where resources were exhausted and the daytime drunkards roamed, every moment was a fight for survival. Not from some beast or calamity, the Administration kept the savage points of the world at bay - and in turn made the common man prey on each other with the same viciousness as a trained Witch.

    In this particular corner, she'd noticed as she leapt along a series of washed out emblems, etchings scratched out in the dark side of buildings, and what seemed to be coats of patchy paintwork covering something beneath it. Trailing with greater frequency, however, was the seal of a unicorn with a flipper. Capricorn was scrawled in bright looping letters.

    A bloodcurdling scream swept through the alleys, covering the trail of a troop of people converging in on a shop, a pack of wolves, and they smelled carrion. For a bunch of ragtags, they were walking tall.

    "This is what happens when you don't pay! You remember where my money is now?!"

    Perched below an old sign, Kinu peered through her mask across the street as a window shattered.

    "...should've paid off Capricorn last week. These are our streets!"

    "W-we d-don't want trouble...the Administration supplies only a fixed amount...t-tell him we just need another three days till the next month, and then-"

    An older couple ran this small shop, a mom and pop dive that fell to neglect. Was it the neighbourhood, or was it their clientele? From where she crouched, she could hear the clatter of tables and furniture being overturned and smashing plates. The owners pleaded, the gangsters laughed. And the streets were silent with the quiet everyday bustle.

    Then running down the street came a young man sprinting on the sidewalk, a baseball bat at his side as he rushed them from behind.

    Their son, tall but ruddy, came out swinging. After catching one on the chin, he charged into the crowd,,,and that was the end of his run when they surrouned the boy and ground him into the pavement.

    "That's what happens!" The ringleader's shaded eyes flashed beneath his top hat as he leaned over and spat on the bloodied pile in the street, "Now you gonna pay the rent?"

    There was no answer that she could hear from this height, but what she did see was the gang seize the bloody boy off the ground and dragged him off.

    "Then your son for your cooperation. If you mess this up, when we're done with him maybe we'll mess you up! Haah haaah---!"

    All around the scene, anyone who witnessed the clash only continued to move on their daily lives as if they couldn't hear a thing. Just how frequent was this sort of thing that it left everyone paralyzed with apathy?

    Well this day just got interesting...

    When you make a lifestyle of keeping your head down, after a while you're just not wired to look up. Even if you think you're top dog. And as the Capricorn Gang stalked off with their prisoner in tow, Kinu followed.

  7. #727

    Default

    The sound of conversation grew louder... Morgen tried her best to hide the weariness on her face, so as not to draw too much attention to herself. Her head was kept low, quietly numbing herself to the world around her. She was an idiot for even thinking she'd be any better off at home, but maybe she only had herself to blame. It was her own choice to get involved in this mess, and now she was paying the price. Her gloomy act didn't last long when she saw just who was sitting at the table with her mother.

    Administrator Gretel, a woman who required no introduction -- not in this household.

    Immediately, her posture stiffened and she kept her head leveled. For better or for worse, it seemed like she didn't remember who she was. Beside her, Lucia followed suit, albeit much more naturally. The elder sister bowed in respect as she was greeted.

    "It is a pleasure to have you again, administrator," she said, holding the bow. Standing up straight, she addressed mother: "Is Shuri home?"

    "The poor thing's in her room," Roselyn answered with a small wave of her hand. "Probably doesn't want to embarrass herself in front of our guest here... it's funny, really... she has so much confidence otherwise!"

    Morgen half-hoped she wouldn't be roped into the conversation, but to her surprise, the administrator herself addressed her directly. She felt her face glow hot red under the compliments -- and under the pressure of what she was hiding from the family. Only Lucia knew... if it were anyone else, her life would've been over. She wasn't sure whether she should be thankful or not. Somehow, Morgen was able to keep her cool through the adminstrator's 'formal greeting'. Her position couldn't be more awkward, given her tremendous respect and admiration for A-11's district leader. Deep down, she wished so very much that she could be excited to meet her, as she had been before, but the secret she carried squeezed her heart and kept it small and meek.

    "You are too kind, Administrator Gretel," Morgen managed without stuttering, brushing a few strands behind her ear and bowing. She wasn't sure how long she maintained it for, but it was longer than Lucia's. "It is an honor to meet you again." As Gretel aired out her recent concerns, Lucia smiled at Morgen -- softer this time -- and gave her a little nudge with her elbow.

    "It's a shame I wasn't around to back up," Lucia said, haughtily crossing her arms. "If I were there, they'd all be in administratum custody by now. Luckily, not all is lost..." She put a hand on Morgen's very stiff shoulder. "My adorable little sister here has some intel you might be interested to hear. She tracked down the rebels from the skyport, and told me she knew where they were taking shelter. I can't say if they've moved by now, but it'll make a good starting to point to pick up on their trail." Morgen looked up at her sister fearfully, who only shot back an encouraging smile. "Not bad for an aspiring witch, huh? Not to speak out of turn, but I'd say she deserves a chance to prove herself if this goes north."

    This was the moment of truth. The options were either to spill the information, or lie and hope to god that Lucia would cover for her. In fact, she was almost sure that she would -- Lucia did genuinely love her and wish the best for her, but Morgen wouldn't be able to withstand the guilt of dragging her down with her. It didn't matter who you were, abetting ruin terrorists could be grounds for execution. Lucia didn't deserve that...

    She swallowed nervously. I'm sorry... I don't think I have a choice here...

    "I can lead you to their current hideout." Morgen nodded slowly as she spoke. "The witch thing... isn't important. I'm just glad to be of service to A-11, and to pursue justice where it is due."

    Lucia gave her sister a light noogie and messed up her hair.

    "That wasn't so hard now, was it? Good girl."
    Last edited by Melon God; 08-02-2020 at 10:26 PM.

  8. #728

    Default Matters of The Subconscious Mind: Jacob's Past Suicidal Tendencies

    Rhea walks around, exploring the bunker." After the loss of his wife and kids, Jacob became suicidal. I seen him attempt to kill himself many times. Each time I had to stop him," Rhea said.

    " One time, he tried to blow his brains out with his pistol, and I had to stop the bullet from going into his head. Even had to get animals in his way to prevent him from killing himself. Back then, I tried to get Jacob to move forward, that his wife and children wouldn't want him to take his own life," Rhea said.

    " It took a long time but, eventually, Jacob heed my advice, and to this day, he's no longer suicidal thank goodness. Jacob blames himself for the death of his wife and kids. he believes what happen that day was a punishment for all his wrongdoings. However, when Jacob summon me that day, I only saw his dead wife, I didn't see the bodies of his children," Rhea said.

    " I even search Jacob's former home after I took him to safety, and still didn't find his children anywhere in that place. So, Jacob's children might not even be dead, he just believes they are," Rhea said.

  9. #729
    Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    888

    Default

    It only took one look at the sleeping accomodations, reasonable as they undeniably were (especially on such short notice), for Lucifer to realize that sleep wouldn't be on the schedule for tonight- not unless he got or made something to deal with all the stimuli coming in. And given the agents of En were likely either tending to their wounds, trying to rest for tomorrow's trip, or were otherwise too pre-occupied to deal with what would ultimately sound like an unreasonable- if even possible- request...

    It was probably better if he made something himself.

    ~Let's see if there's anything left from the bonfire broiling session...~

    As Lucifer headed towards the kitchen, where he hoped the leftover food was stored, he grimaced at the sheer waste of what he was about to do.
    For all your LuxWeave needs, just contact Lucifer Radiare

  10. #730
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    He pushes against it harder, grinning, straining.

    “So you can see me. Hear me. Good. Because only a fool would fall for such an obvious lure like you have, but my father always said that most people are suckers. You sure are. Played your hand way too quick.”

    He pushes with all his might.

    “Well, here’s the end of the trick. See you around, kid.”

    He winks, grins wider, and reverses his power, yanking the paper as hard as he can.

    As soon as the blade slits his throat, his body disappears completely and the paper ends up embedded into the ally wall behind where Owen once stood, bloodless and with no evidence it just slit a man’s throat.

    ———

    Stark blinks and rubs at his neck.

    Looking around, Owen drops his right hand from his neck and talks to Mulvric.

    “We should probably hurry. Our hunter is a bit sick.”

    He explains about her using paper to attack as well, while getting his proper clothes and umbrella back from where he stored them. He pats the revolver and holsters it again, before turning back to Mulvric.

    “Any idea who my stalker was? Paper manipulation seems a unique ability.”
    Nearby, Matthias watched and listened. It took him only a moment to figure out that the Gumshoe had another, very interesting talent. He overheard him last night mentioning that he was the son of a Witch, which is nearly unheard of. Now he could see it in him even more clearly.

    "How close would the Paper Witch or Hunter have had to be to retain control over it, I wonder. I suspect not all that far. Still, if he or she used that trick on you, the others still wandering around are not going to be aware of it until it is too late."

    "Mulvric, If I am going to find our wayward sheep, I need to leave right now. Any objections?"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  11. #731
    Astonishing Member KingofPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    "...I can only imagine-," Kinu said, pausing to dab the corners of her mouth with the back of her wrist.

    Her parted lips seemed to water for a moment; she sucked down beer and swallowed hard.

    "-you've eaten well to get this large. You could throw your size around if you wanted, yeah? Still sneaking around, and only got caught because of an inside botch...," she mused. "Still keeping true to what you are and what you want. I can respect it."

    "Though I'm sure a choice few people at the top ain't gonna appreciate that, either."
    "Probably not, no. Unfortunately for those in my line of work, the people that really run this world got no time for shadow killers..." Omg passed another napkin to himself and wiped his face clean. " Not when they can get away with it in broad daylight..."

    "And what about you...? The struttin' and the kabuki mask. Pretty flashy, but it can easily attract the wrong kind attention. ...unless that's what you want," He inquired after a bit.

  12. #732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    It only took one look at the sleeping accomodations, reasonable as they undeniably were (especially on such short notice), for Lucifer to realize that sleep wouldn't be on the schedule for tonight- not unless he got or made something to deal with all the stimuli coming in. And given the agents of En were likely either tending to their wounds, trying to rest for tomorrow's trip, or were otherwise too pre-occupied to deal with what would ultimately sound like an unreasonable- if even possible- request...

    It was probably better if he made something himself.

    ~Let's see if there's anything left from the bonfire broiling session...~

    As Lucifer headed towards the kitchen, where he hoped the leftover food was stored, he grimaced at the sheer waste of what he was about to do.
    Jacob heads towards the kitchen and spots Lucifer.

  13. #733
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melon God View Post
    The sound of conversation grew louder... Morgen tried her best to hide the weariness on her face, so as not to draw too much attention to herself. Her head was kept low, quietly numbing herself to the world around her. She was an idiot for even thinking she'd be any better off at home, but maybe she only had herself to blame. It was her own choice to get involved in this mess, and now she was paying the price. Her gloomy act didn't last long when she saw just who was sitting at the table with her mother.

    Administrator Gretel, a woman who required no introduction -- not in this household.

    Immediately, her posture stiffened and she kept her head leveled. For better or for worse, it seemed like she didn't remember who she was. Beside her, Lucia followed suit, albeit much more naturally. The elder sister bowed in respect as she was greeted.

    "It is a pleasure to have you again, administrator," she said, holding the bow. Standing up straight, she addressed mother: "Is Shuri home?"

    "The poor thing's in her room," Roselyn answered with a small wave of her hand. "Probably doesn't want to embarrass herself in front of our guest here... it's funny, really... she has so much confidence otherwise!"

    Morgen half-hoped she wouldn't be roped into the conversation, but to her surprise, the administrator herself addressed her directly. She felt her face glow hot red under the compliments -- and under the pressure of what she was hiding from the family. Only Lucia knew... if it were anyone else, her life would've been over. She wasn't sure whether she should be thankful or not. Somehow, Morgen was able to keep her cool through the adminstrator's 'formal greeting'. Her position couldn't be more awkward, given her tremendous respect and admiration for A-11's district leader. Deep down, she wished so very much that she could be excited to meet her, as she had been before, but the secret she carried squeezed her heart and kept it small and meek.

    "You are too kind, Administrator Gretel," Morgen managed without stuttering, brushing a few strands behind her ear and bowing. She wasn't sure how long she maintained it for, but it was longer than Lucia's. "It is an honor to meet you again." As Gretel aired out her recent concerns, Lucia smiled at Morgen -- softer this time -- and gave her a little nudge with her elbow.

    "It's a shame I wasn't around to back up," Lucia said, haughtily crossing her arms. "If I were there, they'd all be in administratum custody by now. Luckily, not all is lost..." She put a hand on Morgen's very stiff shoulder. "My adorable little sister here has some intel you might be interested to hear. She tracked down the rebels from the skyport, and told me she knew where they were taking shelter. I can't say if they've moved by now, but it'll make a good starting to point to pick up on their trail." Morgen looked up at her sister fearfully, who only shot back an encouraging smile. "Not bad for an aspiring witch, huh? Not to speak out of turn, but I'd say she deserves a chance to prove herself if this goes north."

    This was the moment of truth. The options were either to spill the information, or lie and hope to god that Lucia would cover for her. In fact, she was almost sure that she would -- Lucia did genuinely love her and wish the best for her, but Morgen wouldn't be able to withstand the guilt of dragging her down with her. It didn't matter who you were, abetting ruin terrorists could be grounds for execution. Lucia didn't deserve that...

    She swallowed nervously. I'm sorry... I don't think I have a choice here...

    "I can lead you to their current hideout." Morgen nodded slowly as she spoke. "The witch thing... isn't important. I'm just glad to be of service to A-11, and to pursue justice where it is due."

    Lucia gave her sister a light noogie and messed up her hair.

    "That wasn't so hard now, was it? Good girl."
    "Indeed a shame....but you'll want to keep that opinion away from Vivianne once she is out of the medical unit....." Gretel mused with a hint of dry humor, before raising a eyebrow at the revelation presented. "Oh...is that so?" She turned her gaze on Morgan, more intense then before.

    "....You'll have to embellish me with the tale of how you managed such a feat later....modesty aside." Gretel smiled. "An important aspect of being administrator is surrounding oneself one...competent and hardworking individuals. One who aren't simply in it for the prestige....for the good of the city indeed. Why...I'd say that..."

    Gretel was cut off by a ringing in her hip pocket. The look on her face said she wanted to ignore it more then anything in the world....but sadly couldn't. "A moment, if you would." Flipped out a small device, Gretel brought it up to her ear. "Yes.....Yes I'm aware......Actually I have a lead ri.....Yes........This is hardly the ti........" Gretel placed a hand over the mouthpiece and sighed, throwing a pitiful gaze in Morgans direction ".....Yes, very well...............fine...but don't delay things to long...." Gretel deactivated the receiver and put it away. "....I'm sorry my dear.....I'll need to prepare a counter force for our assault. Moving tactical forces around the slums require a bit more finesses then is usually needed.....an associate has prepared a transport for you to the outer slums....you need only show her to the area so can confirm the location and we'll take it from there."

    ".....and.....please forgive me..." Gretel placed her hands together in sincere apology to Morgan. ".....I'd recommend taking any comments made by your support with a grain of salt.....she is known for being....aggravating."

    ~~~

    Outside a small hovering vehicle lands just beyond the doorway, the door snapping open and awaiting its occupant.

  14. #734
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    He pushes against it harder, grinning, straining.

    “So you can see me. Hear me. Good. Because only a fool would fall for such an obvious lure like you have, but my father always said that most people are suckers. You sure are. Played your hand way too quick.”

    He pushes with all his might.

    “Well, here’s the end of the trick. See you around, kid.”

    He winks, grins wider, and reverses his power, yanking the paper as hard as he can.

    As soon as the blade slits his throat, his body disappears completely and the paper ends up embedded into the ally wall behind where Owen once stood, bloodless and with no evidence it just slit a man’s throat.

    ———

    Stark blinks and rubs at his neck.

    Looking around, Owen drops his right hand from his neck and talks to Mulvric.

    “We should probably hurry. Our hunter is a bit sick.”

    He explains about her using paper to attack as well, while getting his proper clothes and umbrella back from where he stored them. He pats the revolver and holsters it again, before turning back to Mulvric.

    “Any idea who my stalker was? Paper manipulation seems a unique ability.”
    "Manipulating paper.....any ideas Mercer, En?" Mulvric tilted his head over to mercer at the radio.

    "........The Origami Doll." Mercer swallowed hard. "Has to be....fits the MO at least. I've heard stories.......something of a slum legend really. Hard to separate stories from the facts...but there were a bunch of murders that took place in the slums over the last couple years, all with their throats slashed, no murder weapon...blood splattered all over posters or leaflets nearby in a way that shouldn't be natural......like they were dipped in it. Sure, you've prob investigated some of em." Mercer motioned to Owen. "What didn't show up in any investigation was the fact they were all parts of various crime and resistance moments, one of em was ours.....got a message just before he went off the grid saying he had bumped into a girl in the back alleys....felt like he was being followed for hours....and then...."

    Mercer shook his head.

  15. #735
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Nearby, Matthias watched and listened. It took him only a moment to figure out that the Gumshoe had another, very interesting talent. He overheard him last night mentioning that he was the son of a Witch, which is nearly unheard of. Now he could see it in him even more clearly.

    "How close would the Paper Witch or Hunter have had to be to retain control over it, I wonder. I suspect not all that far. Still, if he or she used that trick on you, the others still wandering around are not going to be aware of it until it is too late."

    "Mulvric, If I am going to find our wayward sheep, I need to leave right now. Any objections?"
    "....You know the location. Keep a low profile and pass it along to the others....tell em the admins are in the process of coming out in force. Faster we leave the better." Mulvric nodded. "At least the Origami one will be off the trail for a bit......grab some food if you haven't, we'll soon be leaving."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •