Page 50 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Part 2: Contact from the Shadows

The voice of her best friend, the one Selma considered her brother in all but blood continued to condemn her as she curled in on herself on the dirty ground of the A-9 slum. No matter how she tried to drown out the words being spoken to her, they managed to get through and stab her in the heart without restraint. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks, shame, horror, self-disgust, and so many more emotions flowing through her without restraint.

"How could you let us die? We trusted you Selma!"

"I-I know, I failed you and I'm sorry!" Selma cried, beginning to rock slightly as she spoke, hoping that the voice would leave her be.

"You're sorry? We died and you're sorry?"

"Yes! Yes I'm sorry! I didn't help you and I'm sorry!" Selma screamed, growing more hysterical by the moment. She wanted nothing more than for the voice condemning her to go and leave her be. She knew she had failed them, that she hadn't been good enough to help them when they needed her most.

"If you're truly sorry... then you'll do the right thing and kill yourself."

Selma's eyes snapped open as she heard those words, the flow of tears ebbing as her mind seemed to freeze for a moment before restarting again. Selma's mind went into overdrive, the words repeating over and over again in her mind. As they did, the sorrow, the self-loathing, the shame, and all of the other emotions she had been feeling were consumed by a new, all-powerful emotion.

White hot rage.

"You're not Jamie." She said in a voice barely louder than a whisper but filled with wrathful anger.

"Selma, don't you believe it's me?"

"No! You can't be Jamie, he would never say such a thing to anyone!" Selma snarled, her voice growing louder and stronger as she spoke, the rage flowing like liquid fire through her veins as she spoke.

The voice didn't speak in response.

Selma blinked, she shakily rose to her feet as she wiped the tears from her face. Once she was standing straight up, shoring up her mental defenses as she glared around her and yelled "Alright, who's the wise-ass who's trying to **** with me!? ANSWER ME!"

There was no response for almost a minute, until...

"VERY WELL."

Selma froze, the voice reverberating in her mind with a strange, unnatural power. It was unlike anything she'd ever felt before, and each syllable it spoke sent a shock of primordial fear through her body, tearing her mental defenses as if they were but so much candy floss.

"Wh-who are you?" Selma asked, trying futilely to bring her defenses back up.

"YOU WISH TO KNOW WHO I AM? THEN YOU MUST SIMPLY ENTER THE MY HOME. I BELIEVE YOU KNOW IT AS THE 'REALM OF SHADOWS'."

"The Realm of Shadows? Bu-but if you're in there, how are you contacting me?! The things in there can't interact with the outside world!" Selma rebuked. The voice filled her mind with a sound like great stones grinding against one another at the words.

"OH WE CAN, INSECT. IT IS MORE DIFFICULT THAN IT USED TO BE I ADMIT, AND MOST ARE TOO APATHETIC TO BOTHER, BUT IT CAN BE DONE. AND IT IS FAR EASIER WITH YOU."

The sound of great stones grinding together filled the blonde's head again.

"OR DID YOU THINK YOU COULD ENTER OUR HOME AND LEAVE COMPLETELY UNAFFECTED?"

Selma frowned at that, and asked "Why are you contacting me? Or did you just want to **** with me?"

"THAT WAS SIMPLY A TEST, TO SEE IF YOU COULD HANDLE THE EFFECT OF MEETING ME."

Selma's frown turned into a scowl, her increasing anger allowing her to slightly rebuild her mental defenses as she asked "You did that... for a test?! You telepathically used the voice of my best friend, someone whom I loved like a brother to torment me and tell me to kill myself for a test!?"

"YES. IT WAS A TEST, AND BECAUSE DOING IT GREATLY AMUSED ME. IT HAS BEEN SO VERY LONG SINCE I LAST INTERACTED WITH AN INSECT, I FORGOT WHAT FUN IT COULD BE."

"And what if I don't want to meet you, you sadistic *******?" Selma asked, and she could feel the threat in its voice as it responded.

"I WILL SIMPLY WAIT UNTIL YOU ENTER MY HOME AGAIN, AND WE WILL MEET THEN. BUT IF YOU FORCE ME TO WAIT UNTIL THAT TIME, THEN OUR MEETING WILL BE FAR LESS PLEASANT THAN IF IT HAPPENS NOW."

Selma swallowed, and realized she had no choice. She had to go in and meet the thing, whatever it was, because all it would take was one slip-up in a life-and-death struggle, one time entering the Realm of Shadows in an act to save her life from death outside it, for her and the owner of the voice to meet. And she doubted she would survive if that were to happen.

So, knowing that there was only one thing to do, Selma took a deep breath and said "Alright."

"GOOD. THEN COME IN. YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW THE WAY."

Steeling her nerves as best she could, Selma walked over to a shadowed corner, and with another deep breath, entered the Realm of Shadows.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "Manipulating paper.....any ideas Mercer, En?" Mulvric tilted his head over to mercer at the radio.

"........The Origami Doll." Mercer swallowed hard. "Has to be....fits the MO at least. I've heard stories.......something of a slum legend really. Hard to separate stories from the facts...but there were a bunch of murders that took place in the slums over the last couple years, all with their throats slashed, no murder weapon...blood splattered all over posters or leaflets nearby in a way that shouldn't be natural......like they were dipped in it. Sure, you've prob investigated some of em." Mercer motioned to Owen. "What didn't show up in any investigation was the fact they were all parts of various crime and resistance moments, one of em was ours.....got a message just before he went off the grid saying he had bumped into a girl in the back alleys....felt like he was being followed for hours....and then...."

Mercer shook his head.
    Owen nods.

“I investigated two such murders. And now having seen her in person, and what she can do, I’d be careful. She has some oomph too. She was slowly over powering my psychokinesis.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

PART 3: THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE

Soon as she slipped from the world she inhabited and entered the Realm of Shadows, Selma was ensnared by a black tendril, pinning her arms to her sides, and lifted off her feet into the air before a massive... thing... made of what appeared to be a black non-newtonian liquid. It had no definitive form, constantly twisting and morphing at random, keeping no shape for longer than it took Selma to take a breath.

As Selma stared at it, a massive eye opened on its form, the entire thing the color of blood with a great gash-like pupil in the middle. This eye was joined by more of varying sizes, each blinking at random, closing and disappearing before reopening on another part of its body before repeating the process, with only the eye staring at her remaining unchanged.

Then it opened what the blonde woman could only assume to be its mouth, which looked like the skin had torn itself in apart, leaving ripped skin to act as lips for a mouth of fangs that appeared to be made of broken bone. A second mouth tore itself open on its body, then a third, and a fourth, each moving independent of the others.

Selma could barely comprehend the thing currently holding her as its eye looked at her, the others staring off seemingly into space as they moved about its body, its mouths opening and closing without a sound. Then, it spoke to her, though no sound escaped any of its mouths, instead filling her mind like when Selma was outside the Realm of Shadows.

"SO, I FINALLY GET TO PROPERLY MEET THE ONE WHOM ENTERS MY HOME SO BRAZENLY.

"That's right. My name is Selma St. Johns." Selma said, trying her best to put on a brave face before the eldritch horror currently holding her in its tendril.

"I AM AWARE OF YOUR NAME, BRAZEN INSECT. I READ IT FROM YOUR MIND ALREADY, AS WELL AS YOUR THOUGHTS AND MEMORIES. THOSE PATHETIC THINGS YOU CALL 'DEFENSES' WERE INSULTINGLY EASY TO GET THROUGH."

Selma blinked at hearing that, and swallowing heavily, she smiled shakily and asked "Well, if you know so much about me, then why don't you tell me your name?"

"YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF COMPREHENDING MY TRUE NAME OR MY TRUE LANGUAGE, BRAZEN INSECT, AND ATTEMPTING TO DO SO WOULD RESULT IN MADNESS FOR YOUR FEEBLE MIND. BUT IF YOU MUST CALL ME SOMETHING, THEN YOU MAY USE THE NAME THAT THE OTHER INSECTS CALLED ME LAST TIME I DEALT WITH THEM: LEVIATHAN."

Selma nodded, and said "Hello Leviathan." The great mass of ever-shifting darkness that used the name Leviathan ignored her greeting as it kept staring with one of its many eyes.

"BUT I MUST ADMIT, BRAZEN INSECT. I HAVE SEEN HUMANS ENTER MY HOME BEFORE, BUT NEVER AS OFTEN OR AS BRAZENLY AS YOU. THEY SCURRY IN AND OUT QUICKLY, BUT YOU ENTER AND WANDER ABOUT AS THOUGH YOU OWN IT. I AM UNCERTAIN IF YOU ARE EXTREMELY BRAVE... OR EXCEEDINGLY STUPID."

"Hey! Screw you too!" Selma snapped, glaring at the horror as, for a moment, her fear and the unnatural sense of dread and unease caused by the aura that seeped from the thing like a miasma gave way to her indignant anger. But it was for but a moment, as both returned with a vengeance as the tendril holding her tightened slightly, reminding her of her predicament. But even as it did so, the sound of boulders grinding together that Selma was beginning to realize was Leviathan's laughter filled her head once more.

"EXCEEDINGLY STUPID, IT SEEMS. FORTUNATELY FOR YOU, BRAZEN INSECT, I FIND THAT AN AMUSING TRAIT IN YOU. BESIDES, I FEEL I HAVE USE FOR YOU."

"And what would that be?" Selma asked, wondering what exactly such a nightmarish thing as this would have with her.

"AS I PREVIOUSLY EXPLAINED TO YOU, IT IS DIFFICULT TO INTERACT WITH YOUR WORLD OUTSIDE MY HOME FOR ME OR OTHERS. THE ONLY REASON I WAS ABLE TO DO SO WITH YOU SO EASILY IS BECAUSE YOU ARE SATURATED WITH THE ENERGIES OF MY HOME."

A sound like the wind through the limbs of a dead tree entered Selma's mind.

"I AM FORCED TO ADMIT THAT I GROW BORED WITHIN MY HOME, AND I FIND YOUR FEEBLE SPECIES AMUSING. SO, WHAT I WANT IS TO USE YOU AS A CONDUIT TO WATCH YOUR WORLD."

"Let me guess, you're going to take over my body?" Selma asked, fearing the answer of that question.

"NO. WHY WOULD I WANT TO TAKE OVER THE BODY OF AN INSIGNIFICANT COCKROACH SUCH AS YOU?"

Selma scowled, but ignored the slight since she didn't know how far his amusement with her would go, and didn't feel like testing it. Instead, she decided to ask "Good to know. But do I get anything out of this deal?" It took but a few moments for her to realize she shouldn't have opened her mouth as more of the eyes stopped moving and joined the original in focusing solely on her.

"BESIDES ALLOWING YOU TO ESCAPE WITH YOUR MISERABLE LIFE? YOU WILL BE UNDER MY PROTECTION WHILE IN MY HOME, AND I WILL GRANT YOU POWER. ENOUGH POWER TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND THE NEXT HIVE YOU BUILD."

"Sounds fair." Selma agreed, the thought of being powerful enough to protect others and prevent anything taking them from her again proving a most tempting offer. Especially if it meant she would be strong enough to deal with The Ruin and anyone else responsible for the destruction of A-11 and the deaths of her family. However, Selma couldn't help but think that this was too tempting an offer, especially from one of the things that resided in the Realm of Shadows. But she couldn't exactly say that to the powerful thing currently holding her in its tentacled grip.

"IT IS AN EXCEEDINGLY GENEROUS OFFER. BE GLAD I WAS THE ONE WHOM TOOK INTEREST IN YOU, BRAZEN INSECT. HAD IT BEEN ANOTHER OF MY KIND, THEY WOULD HAVE TORN YOU ASUNDER AND DEVOURED THE PIECES FOR YOUR ACTIONS."

"R-right. Thank you." Selma said as most of the eyes began moving about its body at random again, once more seemingly stared off into space, leaving only the original eye to stare at her. After several silent seconds, the tendril holding her lowered the blonde woman to the ground and set her on her feet before releasing her.

After the tendril had retreated back into the ever-shifting body of Leviathan, Selma asked "Soooo, when will I get that power?"

"YOU WILL RECEIVE EACH BIT OF IT WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. AND I DECIDE WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT."

"Of course." Selma agreed, deciding not to argue with the ancient horror that could tear her asunder if it so chose. This was not going to be the hill that she died on.

Giving him a shaky wave, Selma said "Well, bye then. See you later." With her farewell, she started to turn, wanting to exit the Realm of Shadows as quickly as possible and spend some time out of it.

"WAIT."

Selma froze in place, dreading what the eldritch abomination could want with her. However, before she could truly begin to wonder what it was, what felt like a needle pierced the middle of her back through her clothing. From where she was struck, long, jagged black lines bloomed and danced across her back, covering it in an elaborate magical glyph with what appeared to be an eye in the center.

"THERE. NOW YOU ARE MY CONDUIT INTO YOUR WORLD, ALLOWING ME TO WATCH IT THROUGH YOU."

'You could have said you needed to do that.' Selma thought in annoyance as she began moving once more to leave the Realm of Shadows. As she exited back into the real world, Leviathan's mouths twisted themselves into what could only be called "smiles" in the loosest definition of the word as it slipped back further into it home.

"THIS WILL BE A MOST ENTERTAINING AGREEMENT BRAZEN INSECT, I CAN TELL."
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "....You know the location. Keep a low profile and pass it along to the others....tell em the admins are in the process of coming out in force. Faster we leave the better." Mulvric nodded. "At least the Origami one will be off the trail for a bit......grab some food if you haven't, we'll soon be leaving."
    "I'm fine." Matthias pulled his cowl and hood over his head and made his way to the exit, "If all goes well, we'll see you there." with that, he lowered his presence to next to nothing, left the bunker, and immediately used Find to locate his first pickup. Once located, he moved with the skill and deftness of one experienced with the area and with this kind of retrieval.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Default The Slum-Quest of an Unwritten Diary: 02

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "Good!" Mostro said, happy to get down to business. Fidgeting with something beneath his cloak, the mysterious merchant dropped something as she could hear glass shattering from behind the counter. Apparently unconcerned with that fumble, he immediately opened up with, "Mostro have what smol want."
    "You have what I want?"

The question was met with silence for a brief moment, and she began wondering whether or not this strange merchant had been watching her.

"Yeah! Yeah... yeah. Mostro have it." The draining enthusiasm from the figure's words made her reconsider having overthought the situation, sighing, she replied, "Well, what is it? What do I want?"

More silence followed only for the merchant to shrug. It was only then that Sigourney's focus turned to Mostro's origins, for the shoulders that shrugged were of a far thinner span and size to be anything more than a child... or something child-sized.

"What does smol want? Mostro has many things but Mostro does not have mind-reading."

So it was a bluff? Yes, she recalled reading something like this once; cold-reading they had called it. Her desperate nature to obtain her prize must have been apparent from her body-language, leaving her open to latching onto to vague suggestions. Even if she had been caught, hook, line, and sinker, if this Mostro had what she needed, Sigourney would gladly bite down on the bait left by the strange creature.

"All right... What I need is a blank notebook, a diary."

Another pause of silence, this time more distressing as it seemed that the merchant seemed to be reluctant. Eventually, however, Mostro, true to his word, placed a blue-leather book on the counter and once again did she notice an oddity of the being for his hands were covered in gloves of course fur with stubby fingers, as if the fingertips had been removed from every digit... that is with the exception of his little fingers which seemed to be completely missing.

"Smol one has expensive taste. Very rare this is."

Her attention to the merchant's feature was snatched with those bafflingly words, "Expensive? How many credits do you plan to charge for a diary?"

Mostro chuckled, and her empty stomach churned from the sound of it, "Dat is good joke, smol one. Mostro only takes credits for things like probability engine, matter convertor, and maybe third eye... you know, kid toys. No, for this Mostro wants something like... smol one's eyes... yes... those will cover cost." Leaning to his right side, Mostro reached forth with his left hand.

It was then that Sigourney understood that the merchant was no man, woman, or child, for Mostro was not of this world. His arm was the length of the creature's entire height, with several joints that straightened as it grew closer to her. That hand, in which she once thought was gloved of course fur had proven itself not to be a garment as the white and gray fur extended all the way back underneath the folds of his cloak. From the webbing of those stubby fingers slid out large claws similar to a feline's, no doubt the means to extract his payment.
    Last edited by Yun Lao; 08-04-2020 at 03:50 PM.

"I, um... I must use the bathroom first! Excuse me!" Morgen quickly disappeared behind a door.

Lucia leaned over and whispered with a grin. "She's just nervous. Don't worry."

Inside the bathroom, she fumbled through her clothes for the communicator. It slipped from her hand in her haste, flipping in the air and dropping towards the toilet bowl but she snatched it with both hands just quick enough to catch it with her bottom fingers. Breathing heavily, she held her awkward pose for a minute and carefully reeled her arms back in so she wouldn't lose grip of it. With a sigh of relief, she activated the device and crouched down, speaking in a hushed whisper.

"Ghost, it's me," she said, her eyes darting behind her. "There... I-- um... Okay, it turns out that-that-- I was followed, on the night of the skyport attack. They know where you are, and they're going to arrive at the hideout--"

"You gonna take long?" Lucia's voice called from outside, rapping her knuckles against the door.

"I'll be out in a minute!" she called back anxiously, pulling her face away from the communicator. "As I was saying... you have to be extra careful, if the administratum converges, it might be hard to find a path for you and all those civilians to make it past them. I don't know how good their tracking abilities are, but they could be on your tail after a concentrated investigation of the area. I'm sorry, that's all I have time to share, I have to leave."

Moments later, the door opened again and Morgen emerged with a sheepish smile.

"I apologize for the wait," she said with a small bow. "I'm ready to go."

"Then quit bowin' and get movin' ya dummy!" Lucia clapped her on the back, sending her forward toward the door. "And be safe out there, alright? That's the most important thing." She briefly side-eyed Gretel. "...Besides capturing our ruin terrorist friends, of course.'

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Melon God View Post
    "I, um... I must use the bathroom first! Excuse me!" Morgen quickly disappeared behind a door.

Lucia leaned over and whispered with a grin. "She's just nervous. Don't worry."

Inside the bathroom, she fumbled through her clothes for the communicator. It slipped from her hand in her haste, flipping in the air and dropping towards the toilet bowl but she snatched it with both hands just quick enough to catch it with her bottom fingers. Breathing heavily, she held her awkward pose for a minute and carefully reeled her arms back in so she wouldn't lose grip of it. With a sigh of relief, she activated the device and crouched down, speaking in a hushed whisper.

"Ghost, it's me," she said, her eyes darting behind her. "There... I-- um... Okay, it turns out that-that-- I was followed, on the night of the skyport attack. They know where you are, and they're going to arrive at the hideout--"
    With a start, Ange shot up from the small ledge she had been lying on and tapped her communicator. "Wait...Wait hold on....what do you mean they know where we are?"

"You gonna take long?" Lucia's voice called from outside, rapping her knuckles against the door.

"I'll be out in a minute!" she called back anxiously, pulling her face away from the communicator. "As I was saying... you have to be extra careful, if the administratum converges, it might be hard to find a path for you and all those civilians to make it past them. I don't know how good their tracking abilities are, but they could be on your tail after a concentrated investigation of the area. I'm sorry, that's all I have time to share, I have to leave."
    "Wait...on you in trouble? Whats going on in there?" Ange called out, but it was too late....Morgan had cut the line. With a curse she tapped into the other line. "Hey En, if you haven't started moving everyone out you better start now....Admins could be on our doorstep any second..."

"Oh dear.....then head to the extraction point....." En responded with concern. "I'll notify the others."

"I'll be there soon....I have to make sure of something..." Ange cut her communication and vanished.

Moments later, the door opened again and Morgen emerged with a sheepish smile.

"I apologize for the wait," she said with a small bow. "I'm ready to go."

"Then quit bowin' and get movin' ya dummy!" Lucia clapped her on the back, sending her forward toward the door. "And be safe out there, alright? That's the most important thing." She briefly side-eyed Gretel. "...Besides capturing our ruin terrorist friends, of course.'
    Now separated from Lucia, Morgan was immediately ushered over to her transport upon stepping outside....barely given a moment to take things in before being put inside.

The interior of the vehicle is spacious, comfortable and seemingly designed for VIPs...which meant it was still somewhat subpar to Morgans usual accommodations. Still....it had its own chilled drink dispenser was a glass of something already waiting. A few moments later only the faintest feeling of momentum and the feint outline of movement beyond the tinted windows told her she was in motion.

....it was at this point that Morgan would realize, that besides her the cabin was empty. Not even the escort had joined her, or Gretel for that matter.....though the administrator had made it seem she would be accompanied by someone. Yet, a glance around yielded nobody.

Yet something was raising the hairs on the back of her neck....she was being watched, observed by invisible eyes.....

"Hey"

At some point Morgans eyes had passed over the empty seat in front of her, that was without a doubt.....and yet when her attention wasn't there, it had somehow become occupied without her realizing. The girl sitting there now impatiently spoke to get her attention, acting as though she had been there all along.

It took a moment....but Morgan would immediately realize who was sitting across from her. Of course she would.....she was the most recognizable face in A11, even most of the administratum.

CaptureX.jpg

To not know Alice was akin to immediately proclaiming one lived under a literal rock in the middle of nowhere. Her face was the public facade of the Administratum...or more specifically the Nelphilim themselves. Every TV, every sign, every annoucement and news report. If something important was being broadcasted it would go through her.....if the people needed to know something, she was usually the one to tell it. She hosted info segments, entertainment shows, pranks, gaming streams.....she was, more then anything, the face of the Nephilim more human qualities.....or at least that was how she was portrayed.

Sitting alone, across from her.....Morgan became unconsciously aware how eerily inhuman the girl was when not on a screen. In fact....she couldn't really decide if the girl was even there at all, so strange was the aura being given.

"Sooo.......Fan?" Alice popped her the most important question immediately.

Yet again... another awkward situation. Despite the wide accommodations inside, Morgen felt uncomfortably claustrophobic. The watchful feeling closed in on her from all sides and made her feel smaller than she already was. She lightly fidgeted with her hands as she waited for something to happen... and then, Alice appeared.

Because of course she did.

The girl was startled, but tried not to show it at first. In fact, she was almost starting to get used to people suddenly materializing out of thin air and vanishing at a moment's notice. And truth be told, she wasn't exactly sure how to interact with this... person. She was a figure of higher status, but approached conversation casually -- normally that didn't matter, but her demeanor relied on being approachable, from what she had gathered.

"Sorry, I don't follow you as closely as my sisters do," Morgen admitted, putting her hands together. Bit of an understatement, given everything she knew about her was absorbed subconsciously through the environment. Shuri was especially a huge fan -- she'd throw a jealous fit if she knew what she'd missed out on. Not only that, but a shot at joining the administratum ranks? Guilt and anxiety aside, Morgen realized she was actually in a very generous position. She was caught between two extremes, and until she decided to lean into one of them, the pressures building up around her would only persist and worsen over time.

That said, she had a lot of questions that immediately came to mind, but all of them seemed untimely to ask -- at least for the moment.

"Partly because I've been quite busy as of late. Family matters, and the work -- I don't get much free time, but it is a pleasure to meet you nonetheless." Well, it was half truth. "Although, I certainly didn't expect to see you here of all places..."

Retired Overlord

Yet again... another awkward situation. Despite the wide accommodations inside, Morgen felt uncomfortably claustrophobic. The watchful feeling closed in on her from all sides and made her feel smaller than she already was. She lightly fidgeted with her hands as she waited for something to happen... and then, Alice appeared.

Because of course she did.

The girl was startled, but tried not to show it at first. In fact, she was almost starting to get used to people suddenly materializing out of thin air and vanishing at a moment's notice. And truth be told, she wasn't exactly sure how to interact with this... person. She was a figure of higher status, but approached conversation casually -- normally that didn't matter, but her demeanor relied on being approachable, from what she had gathered.

"Sorry, I don't follow you as closely as my sisters do," Morgen admitted, putting her hands together. Bit of an understatement, given everything she knew about her was absorbed subconsciously through the environment. Shuri was especially a huge fan -- she'd throw a jealous fit if she knew what she'd missed out on. Not only that, but a shot at joining the administratum ranks? Guilt and anxiety aside, Morgen realized she was actually in a very generous position. She was caught between two extremes, and until she decided to lean into one of them, the pressures building up around her would only persist and worsen over time.

That said, she had a lot of questions that immediately came to mind, but all of them seemed untimely to ask -- at least for the moment.

"Partly because I've been quite busy as of late. Family matters, and the work -- I don't get much free time, but it is a pleasure to meet you nonetheless." Well, it was half truth. "Although, I certainly didn't expect to see you here of all places..."
    "Oh? So a fan in the making then....I am delighted to meet you too." Alice clapped her hands together and offered a smile that only slightly curved into a humored grin. "....I suppose it can be surprising.....but where information is concerned I'm always involved in some way. More importantly though....Is you. I've heard some nice things.....like how you found where an En holdout is. Bravo.....they usually cover their tracks so well. Clearly your a cut above our trained forces." Morgan couldn't be sure if the girl was being sarcastic, as she held a rather innocent smile the entire time.

"But we can't go in blind....so, I was wondering if you could provide a few more details while we're on route. Nothing major...just need to confirm........What do you know about the location, and the occupants...." Alice motioned, and several pictures came up....of Mulvric, Mercer, Ange, Arx and a few others that were present in the base. "Did you see any of these present in the group? Know if they're on site....that sort of thing. It would help determine how much force is needed.....they're all very very dangerous people. It would be a shame if anyone were hurt...." Alice sat back and eyed her curiously.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Jacob heads towards the kitchen and spots Lucifer.
    "Are you looking for leftovers?" Lucifer asked as he tested the two foil pouches before him for potential leaks. "There wasn't all that much left when I got here, and certainly even less now, but what there is should at least be good for a meal or two." Satisfied with the seals on both packets, he carefully placed both in the oven, and only then turned towards Jacob. "Of course, you're more than welcome to some of what I'm having if you're willing to wait half an hour for it- though I must warn you that my palette has been... charitably described as both adventurous and bizarre."
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Lucia... I just wanted to come home in peace, why did you have to do this to me...

Every nerve in Morgen's body told her that if she lied, they would find out. And when they did, not only would she suffer -- the rest of the family would suffer as well. She barely knew them, it shouldn't have been any skin off her back... and yet, she was momentarily frozen with indecision. Some of them she couldn't care less if they were left rotting in a cell, that would be good riddance. But the others...

For now, she was at ease enough to share some of the basics. She expected the information wouldn't be too far off from the administratum's projected observations.

Morgen confirmed each person she personally witnessed, adding, "Last I remember, a handful of them had left the premises but their return is anticipated so that they could move out as a group. That may give us us a little more time to mobilize, but I don't know how much." She pursed her lip. "Yes, I suppose it would be nice if this could end without bloodshed... enough lives have been lost already." She wasn't entirely sure what that area of the slums was called, exactly, but she described the location to the best of her ability to Alice.

Default The Slum-Quest of an Unwritten Diary: 03

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "No, for this Mostro wants something like... smol one's eyes... yes... those will cover cost."
    Time seemed to crawl as the malicious merchant's claws came toward her and her horror, she felt her mind slipping and her consciousness spirited away back into the visions of her dreams. This time however, her dreams were far different and much more horrifying. She could see stars in all directions, moving and pulsating like breathing entities, with the only semblance of solid ground beneath the crimson clouds beneath her. All sound was drowned out by roaring winds that whipped all about, stirring the clouds but never enough to reveal what they had obscured. Before her stood a being unlike anything she had ever encountered.

B͏̨̛͔̙̲̣͖̗̖̣̺̳͕͈͓͓̼̦̮y̴͓͈͉͈̬͘ ̧̲̫͓r̷̢̡̤͚̥͎͡e̶̛̟̻̲̣̗̣̪͍͈̰̰͇̭̤̲̥͘̕͝j̗̲͔̞͖͕̤͢͡e̷҉̘̳ ̪̬̮̖̜̫̺̯̦͈ͅc͜҉̢̡̼͇̜̞̭̰̗̩́t͉̺͉̤͡͞i̬̣̞̭̦̞̙̫͍͕͘͟ͅn̸͇͠ ͍̰̰̼͇̰̹͇̳̺͎̬̫ͅg͠͏̧̞̜͇̮̥̝̦̫̜̗ ̨̡͝҉̝̗̖̖͉̫̤̫̖̬͎̜̖̺̣̦͢h̵̢̛͏̯̘̬͍̹̰͉̭͙̺ì̢̢̛̪͚͚͖͖̼̥̦̕ ̰̹̪̭̪͎s͏̟̜͚͙̬͇̩̫̞͖̬̤͢͜͞ ̣̯̣̻̘̳͈̘͉̲̮͖̗͘̕͝ͅs̴̷͇̙̪̼͖̠̹̻̫̹̼̝̼͉̘̱̹͠͠t̨̯̖̥̺͙͙͢͡͡ r̢̞̟̯̲͍̙̣̗̫̜͈̥̲͕̼̞̕ͅȩ̥̞̞̼̖̜̺̮̟͎̲̀́̕͟ͅn͞҉̭̗̘̳̣̩̪̳͝ ̗̼̠̥̳͍͍̬̘̮g͔͍̺͔͍̲͉̠̞͉̞̼̣̮͡͠t̨͏̰͔͉̙͉̲̦̟̳̮ẖ͍̳͔̤̣̤̟͟ ͓̥̱̰͔͉̩͙͖̗̞,̸̧͙͉̺͈̫̜͉̲̖̬̙̯̺͘ ̨̞̙̪̝̩̲̟͢͝͠ͅy҉͖̗͚̖̬͍͚̠̼͜͟ǫ̴̪̺̰͔̼͖͈̘̠͎͇̰̗̙̻͠u̴̢̯͕͜ ̱̥̭̩̳̰̤̹̤͓ ̧̡̡͇͉̣̥̰̬̖͎̹̝͔̱̳̲͉̹ͅͅw̗̙̘̗͍̹̺̤͍̳͜e̷̢̢̱̣̲̼͈͕͉̻͎̝̟͚͘ r̷̗̗̺̟̫̺̥̫͈̥͞ͅe̦̺̹͉̫̕͢͠ ̶̡͇̘͍̪̪̪̜͘ŗ̴̸̢̛͓̺̤̖̘̝͈̦̥̟͖̦͉̟̥ͅè̵̙͔̘̳̩̞̻ń̛̝̣͉̺̝ ̫͎̖̖̟̫̙͍̪͇͕̤ͅd͏̨̪͓͍͍̺̤͕͘ͅe̢͔̘̙͈̫͙̮̫̘̲͕̙͇͝r̷̢҉̸͙͓͖̯ ̤͚͉̻͎͎̘͓̟̺͓ę̢̣̹͙̣̼̮͙̮͎̮̤̖͇̹̯͟͡d̴̛̛̥̰̭̭̻͇̠̺̠̜̖̘̮͟͡ ̝̥̪̮̳ ̵̡̟̳̫̼̥̯̝̠̪̙̩̮̠̕ẃ̱̼̳̣͙̝͉͍è̢̧̝̠͕͓͙͕̭͉̠̤̥͖͖͖͔͉ͅa̸̷ ̵̠͖̘̹̥̗̤̝̗͚͕̞̹̟̲͚̮́͝k̨̛̙͚̹̻̳̀̕͠;̗͙͎̤̦̟̲̯͙̝̹̦̺͈́̕͝͠ ̼͍̼̺̝ ̧́͏͓̱̠̳̙̝͉̣̀ͅt̳̠̬̜͓͎̥̘̯̹̀͝͡h̶҉̨͔̼̹̲̣͕̪̘̞̠̫̞̼̀á̸̯͢ ̲̗͕͚̦͓ͅt̕҉̰̟̠̳̮̳̠͇̳̹̙ ̸̷̴̢̯͓̣̤̘i̪͓͖̰̦͘͠s̡̻̱͓̻̱͉̀͟ ̸̧̛̩̺͎͇̜̺͍̭̲̘̪̤̪̫̞͇̰̱̬͠w̸̯͇̻̺̞͇̲̦͖̮̻̜͚̭͎̭͟ͅḩ͎̫̘͟ͅ ̱̻̱̦̗ͅy̷̫͈̺͎̟̮̗̩̙̪̘̼͢͟ ̀͏̮̣͔̙̘͢ͅỳ̸͉̻̻͕̻͝o̶̡̳͖̖͢u̧̮̘̪͉̬͍̝͈̰̮͟ ̴̜̯̘͈̠͙͎͔̤̳̲̞̘̖͟h̶̨̬̞͎̺͚̪̖̘͢͡a̢̢̛̪̦̟̺̲̪͔͔̮̹̟̖͔̯̱̕ͅ ̦v͞҉̗͚̱͇͈̺̙̭͕̩̠̳͚̳͕̱̩̯ͅȩ̹͍͕̮͈̬͍͎̮̺̹͖̻̣̹̫̹̮ ̧͏҉̵̮̘̝̠̞̪̲̗͓̥̺͍̘͍̫̜͎̞ͅf̶̙̺͕̗͔͓̘͙̖̩̩̰̺͉͍̱̱͜a̧̠̻̘̕͟ ͙͓̯̦̲̯̭̭̮̲͕͔͈i͕̠̰̥̲̺͔̙̳͎̘̕̕l͝҉̪̱̦̹̜͚̠̘̻͙̺̜̹̹̣́ͅe҉̸ ̧̯̼̙̲̰͓̰͟͡ͅͅd̢̨̙͚͔͚͕.̷̨̧̛͚͈̹͇̰̳̫̘̘̤̮̹̹͍̻̟̲̠
    ̸̨̱̯͇͕̟͈̪̕͟͞B̡̢͙̠̬̤̠͡y̸̗͚̬̺͚̻̰̗̙̦̟̖̰̙͖̼̕͢͜ ̴̡̡̫̺̺̥̀́ŗ̡̛̥̤͚̙̗̩͚̫͇e̡̢̞͚̹̬̞̝̖̤̰̺͉̬ͅj͏̵̛̪̮̖̘̺é̴ ̩̥̘̠̞̻̟̫̙͕̮̖̺͉̭̘͕ͅc̴̵̫̼̠͎̼̼͈͚̻̺̕̕͟ͅt̶̝̬̤̞̻̣̖͚̼͙͎͜͜ ̝̳̝̣i̶͎͉͍̬͎̘̰̟̝͇̲̪͎̮͝͡n̶̵̡͚̳̦̠͚̭͎̱̼̮͔̳̹͉͈͘͡g̢҉̻̼̗͜ ̰̩͉̰̻̘̪͔͉ͅ ̶̭̤̹̙̱͖̪͓͉̻̤̰́̀͢ͅh͏̟̬͚̤̞̱̜͙͚̭̗͔̗̥̹͙̬͕́͠ͅi̶̡͕̖̺̞͍͘͡ ͎̳̻̳̗̻̩̼͎s͏̰̗̠̺͎͍͙̀͟͞͡ ̧͞͏͕͈̥͔̤̙͈̤͓̺͚͓͔̦̘͙̯͖͚͜m̴̢̮̦̝̝̞̟̼͡ę̘͕͔̬̯̠̞̖̥͜͜͠͡ͅ ̙r̵͇̩̭͠͠c̵̜̙̤͔̥͙̠͕̮̪̕͢͡y̛̼̮̟̱̖͓̮͚̘̺̘̩͈̠͍̜̤͘̕͢ͅ,̴̶̛ ̧̥̳̜̱͔̼̤͔͍̹͚͙ͅ ̷̴̢̻͕̰̹̣̗̳̲̲̝̻̰̝͓̝̻͚͔͘̕y̨̢̬̫̹͇̕͘͞o̵̦̫̜̖͖̲̮̫̣̙̳̳̺͜͢ ̼̜͔ù̲̖͔̭̟̞ ̶͠͏̀҉̭̦͙̥̟̺͔̻̬͚͇͇̼w̸͕̩̣̥͙̟̦͕̲͍̪̗͇͚̖̮ͅe̶̛̫͇̝̪̝͎̱͕͡͞ ̣̞̣̮r̗̭͖͓̪͖̘̫̣͇̘̥̗͉̰̗̥͘͜͞e̶̸͘͝҉̯̞̺͉̜̝̝̭̳͎̱͉̥̮̣ ̡͕̦̘͖͈͇̭̘͉̣̳͉̳͓͎́͡ć͙͈̹͙̖̙̻͇̤̗̦̺́͜ơ͍̤̤͚͍͕̳͔͚̭͢n̢̛ ̨̨͕̣̖͖̪̜̩d̷̗̟̼̖̹̳̠̝̥̮̬̝͖͡ȩ̴͉͎̙̳̞̜͡m̷̼̞̦̣̗͎̩̼͘ͅn̸͎ ͓̳̟͓̩̥̼͙̱̱͎̙̦̗ḙ̩̲̟̥̯̻̻͕͍̖̠̹͜͞d̵҉̥̘̭̳̭ ̸̧̳̘̜̖̮͚̠͚t̵̡̛̖͙̱̠͙̬̻̫͡ǫ̤̗͕͈̙͇͕̕͘ ̭̖͎͚͈̬̻͎̫̼̀͡h̶͕͙̤̲̘̙̦̲͍͖̗̥̝̤͙̤́͟͞ͅͅį̸́͏̢̼͎̘̗͙̻̙̹ͅ ̫̲͖s̴̸͚̭̲̘̞͕̀͡ ̴̨̤̼̭̬̰̼̥̻̪̼̕ͅͅͅw̸̡̦̥̜̺̤̳̙͉̺̱͔r͜҉̨̡͖̙̼̪̙̗̮̹͚͕͕͍̺̥͜ a̸͉̩̼̹͉̟͔͚̬͉͚̠̯̙͓̺͘͘ͅţ̵̩̲̬̞̰̲̞̼̰̝̳̝̟̜̫̻̮̘͝h͏҉͏͖͘͝ ͔̜͖̥̬̻̠̗̺̙ͅ;̵̴͎̝̠̥̙̤̣͎͚͚͙̟ ͠͡҉̸̫͓̩̤͔̝͕̰̯̰̦͇̥̮͔̭ͅt̸͈̟̩͙̬̘̩̫̮̳͍̱͉͈h͏̷͙͓͎̠͜i̧͏͔͖ ̬͙̖̠̝̗̳̼̭͇̜̯̤͙̭ͅs̴̵̭̙͖̻̫͍̰̀͟͡ ̵̡̪̱̣̹̯̞̙͖̰̳͎̼͓͈̫̤͈̰ͅi̡̝̞͉̠̗͈͈̕͘͟s҉̀͝҉̭̹͍͖͈̰͓̭̠͎̠̫ ̙͈ͅͅ ̴̶̡͚͓͙̮̠̪͘͢ͅt̢̨̜̬̫̘͙h͏̨̢̳̜͇̳̱̼̪̭͉̞͍̞̼̯̦͔͖͠e̵͔̥̙̘̥͡ ̤͚ ̨̨̠̥̯͇͇̹̟̟̠̯p̛̞͔̱̝̝͇̖̥̰̳̭̣̕͢á̸͇̩̰͖͎̯̳͕̞̞̩̮̙͘ͅͅt̛͜ ̢͔̱͙̙͜h͜҉͎̝͚̬̠̳͈͓̫͕͓̫̼̙̟ͅ ̸͏̡͔̳͚͖̗y̧̨̲̩̼̪̟̙͞ͅo҉̷̷͔̫̼͇̹͞ų̢̡̳̬̙̗̩̫̺̜̤͙̼͙͍̥̪̣̀ ̫̪̠ ̷̴̼̤̠̞̺͇̖͍̟ç̶̰͓̜̳̠̟̥̱̮̙̦͇̻̙̪͙͘̕ͅḩ̲̰͓͇̗̜̭̲̝͙̼͕̪̙ͅ ̜̤̦o̡҉̴̸͉͚̻̠͈̠̣̝̲̣͙s̗̩̖̝̱̘̮̟̬̰͉̕͠e̸̳̜̤͙̭̩̠̝̙̟͖̼̯͜͠ ̯.̣̪̭͔̥̦͘ͅ
    ̶̤͎̺͉̫̠͍̯̠̙̀Y̨̖̞̬̫̥̜ò̕͏͙͔͓̖̫̙͝͠u̧͏̣͈̬̱͈̤͔̯͉̹͇̹̭̻r ̕͝҉̴̲̭̼̯̦ ̨̡̠͙̤̭̹͎͚̥̀͡͞b̛̦̫̝͉͖̯̺̥̰͇̪̬̝̲̭͙̥̱ò͏̢̣̥̤͘͘d̷̢̝̯̠͔̹ ̠̻̦̰̜͇̖̦̹͕ỳ̴̨̧͏̖͕̳̦̱͔͈̙̣ ̢̛̙̹̩̲̬̗̙̤ͅͅw̡͍͉̻̩͓͖̣̦͇͜i̧͏̶͕̳̼̰͉̖̲͙̪͝ͅl̢̺͈̤͚̣̳̘̻̀ ͙̣̤l̴̹̘̱̟̻͈͙̪̬͚̘̩̣̲̕͟͢͡ ̶͙̥̩̟̜͘͠p̧͎̹̝̲̱͚̞̙̼̦͍̠͈͝ḛ̸̗̹̯̫͢ͅr̸̸̛̕҉̱̭̻͇͈͕̼͙͇̯ͅ ̫̫̞͔̣̤ͅi̸̢̜̪͙̯͔̟ͅs̕҉̺̪̤̮̖̖̤̥͔̰̯̭̥̫̕ͅͅh̵̨͞͏̯̺̜ͅ ̩͍͇ ̶͓̞̖̼͓̣̤̼̻̣͖̜̮̕ḭ̶̧̖̰̖̀͡n̢͏̨̖̰̗̜͍̯̮̣̟̭̫̗̦̮͕́͝ͅ ̹̜ ̴̢͞͠͏̜̰̮̜̳̩͉à̸̠͙̪͕̻͘͟͞g̡̹̠̳̹̞̖̩̹̩̮̙̕o̸̴̵̙̦͚̯͍͉̪̜ͅ n͢҉̧͔̩̰̳͔̗̼̫̦̺̣y̶̛̘̘͚̜͖̣͓͍̙͇̞͈̪̘͎̘̘͟ͅ,̴͙͉͖̕ͅ ́͠͏̳͇̳̘͔̟̕͞y̢͘͡͝҉̰͙̝̝͇̣̩̯̮̼̱͓̯̤ͅͅo͉̖͎͚͎̗̭͖͇̙̘͘͘u͏̡ ̶̨̫̯̟͚͈̲̼̲̰̺̟ŕ̵̢̥̙̬̞̦̹̗̹̪̱ ̴͠͏̶̢̪̰̗͕ş̷̖̹̦̯̞̀͞o͡҉̧̘̺͚̞̰̫͉̥͈̱̭̜͡͡u̴̡̲̣̖̟̗̯͓͈̕͡ ͚̘̲͖͉̬̻̠̪͚̯l͏̼̠̗̻̮͕͖̪̣͉̺̥͚͙̳͈̹́ ̸̷҉̡͕̰̗̥ẃ̴̶̲͇̝͖̺̬̠͎̬͇̩̤̘̳̕į̶̡̢͔̣͉̗̺͇͍̖͟l̸̡̡̞͕͚̕l ͇̤̼̱͔̘͈̲̻͎̩̰͕͖͔̯̦͡͞ ̰̭̰͓̰̭͟͡l̝͉̫̬̹̖̝͓̫̟̫̟̀͢i͏̨҉̜̠͓̻̖̝͓̹͎n̷̷̬͚̞͕͡g̴̜͖̙̀ è͎͙̳̙̤̱͜͟r͚̹̙͎̪̻͍̳͓̫̙̘̲̀͡ͅ ̡̢̼͖̩͎͎̩̪͖̩̱̯͎̗͎̞̰̠͖͟͢͞ͅi̺͉̪͔̳͡n͔̝̻̘̲͚̣̥͜͢ ̢͈͎̤̳͔̝̗̥͚̹̹̀͢͝r̡͖̪͎̻̳̜̭͇͘͝ͅe̷̹̥̣̯͓͎̝̥̳̥̘̘̙͟͠g̵̡̯̝ ͎̟͖̫̹ŗ͉̰͙͈̹̝̳̜̳̟̘͇̀̀͝ȩ҉̠̲͎̝͖͇̲̱̻̮͔t̷̷̀͏͇̹͎̟;̵̥͕͘ ̰͇̩ ̧̳̳̮̘̦̬̺̠̤͟͠͞ͅt̸҉̣͙̮̹̼͇̟̬̪̣͇ͅͅh̡̻̠͎͇̼͖͔̠̺̞̙̟̩̖̥͞i͝ ̵̖̫̻͇͟ș̖̣̝͘͘͢͟͞ ̵̥͕̹̘̫̤̻̜͚͙̫̥̭͚̯̩̘͜͝í̸̷̬͉͖̳̭̹͚̩̖̬̦̱̞͔͙̞͍͡ś̶̨̖̯̣͢ ͎͇̼̺̖̣̬ ̼̞̯̗̥͚͇̟̤̟̀͢͜͡͡y̢̢̡͖̫̰̯̞̼͔̜͕̘ơ̱̘̜͙͈̖̩̫̝̲͘ͅų̛̯͍͢͟ ̤̜̲̖̞͈̲͎̪̰r̶͚͖̹͍͈͎͚̯̻̩͕̱̜̱̮̫͞ ̸̧̨̰͚̙͖̟̲̘͓͇͓̙̠͟͡f̷̵̶̩̦̳͎͈̤͞͡ͅͅà̶̴̴̟̲̫͎̳͎͞t̰͔͇͢͝͝ ̯͇ȩ̴̸̙̙̦̬̟̼͚̯̣͚͖̜͎̙̝̀.̸̢̢̖̹͖͍̫͕̺̞̞͚̰̳̕͠
    ̴̛̱̮͉͖̩͓̹͖̰̙̗̯͚̹̪̠̘̭̀̀
    ̨͕̱͕̖̝͚͓͓̝̟̗̺̯̗̤́͘͟ͅG̴̨̖̻̼̮͉͕̕H̷̵͓̤̖̭̤͙̱͇͔̯̠͙͍̰̩̤͞ A̸͚͈̼͉͈̖̩̻̘͓͇͉̝̱͞͡͠͠Ņ͓̠̬͎͉̰̝̣̲̟̘̀̀U̡͇̝̯̙͕̺̣̠͖̹̰̕ͅ ̜͈̱L̴̨͍̗̹̞̼̟͖̲̬̘͝͡'̪̪̮̰̙̯̣͇͕̭̲̗͘̕Ń̺̞͕̝̦͖̥͖̼̟͞Ą̶̀ ̟̺͙̘̦̺̝̥̙̳̻̖̖Ú͏͔̲̜̟͕̹̬̫̹̞̳ͅD̡̕͟҉̘̠͚͖̖͇͔̬͔͕̳̹̤̭O̶͝ ̘̣̹͈̘̼̰͈̹͚̯̀Ǹ̸̶͙̠̱̖̙̻̬̩̺̻ ͎͉̙͕̥̝̪͔̣͇͖̪̘̭̥͘͢͝͞ͅẂ̧͟͏̮͚̣͔̣̣Í̕͠҉̖̥̲͇̭̜̮͟L̵̶͎͝͞ ̗̰̥̣̼̬̲̠̞L̰̼͈̖̲̞̀͝ ̸͓̖̘̻̫̙̘̩̝̀N͞͏̻͚̜͍͉̗̀ͅO̸̧̠̙̥̜̘͎̕͜T́̕͜͡͏̥͈͈͈̝̯̘̠̼̼̤ ̪̮͚̦̣̫ ̨̬͚͍̩̬͖̱͎͉͔̩̱͢͢͝B̧́҉̳̼̙̣̖̺͍̳̱̯̫̺̰̯͔E̡͕͉̬͔͔̯̕͢ ̢̡̛̝̜̭͔̮̲̜̳̜̲̬̤̣̪̺̝͖͘ͅḐ̨̞̼̠̜̦͙̳̪̺̳̳͙͞Ę̷̴͔̹̖͕̞̦̀͝ ̯̤̪̟͍̱ͅN̨̢̺̰̺̣̺̰͎̦͕͕͘͠Í͚̟̩̟̼̤̙ͅE̸̢̛͙̮͈̘̯̖̗͍̙͙̼͞D͏ ̶̡҉̺̼̖̱͎͕͎͉͓͇̺͉!̴̰̹͉͔̼̀͢͠!̸̨̥͖͍̗̮̦̖̩̙̹̼

She could feel tears welling in her eyes, yet she was uncertain if it was from fear or grief. All she knew was that they felt so heavy and cold. Realizing this discrepancy, her mind focused and the dream faded just as those tears rolled down her cheeks and shot towards the merchant's clawed hand, slapping it aside with enough force that it knocked the creature over. Floating in the air, she saw that those "tears" had coalescence into a semi-liquid sphere that had the hue of oil-stained water and chrome. Reaching out, her curiosity drove her to touch it, causing ripples across the cue ball sized orb. The sound of heavy cloth rustling prompted her attention back to the merchant and his counter, which had been toppled over. Eventually, in a frustated snarl, the cloak was cast aside and she could now see Mostro's features for what they truly were.

The best way to describe what the creature was would be a corrupted teddy bear, for the size of the body and course fur suggested a cuddly being. The disturbing aspects began with the arms, which were spindly and multi-jointed, and when compared to the stubby legs, suggested that he had been walking primarily on his hands in order to appear human beneath that cloak. The head was also wrong; large and wide, it reminded her of a lemon on its side and had a mouth that stretched across its entirety. Lipless, save for stained fur that acted as a sort of mustache and beard, the beast had massive human-like teeth, almost like a parody drawing. Two large friendly eyes rested above the mouth but she was convinced that the black orbs at the corners of his mouth were his real eyes, or rather the primary, as there was no way those other eyes would see normally as Mostro's lower jaw was fixed and his upper jaw and head moved instead in a polar opposite fashion to a humans. As he spoke, she was reminded of a trashcan that had a lid that opened and closed.

"UGH! You humes always attack, why? Mostro's prices are fair! Wait..."

Those black, compound eyes focused on the metal-like sphere that floated before her before laughing, once more sending a wave of repulsion through her.

"Mostro knows this... smol one inchoate? Mostro not see one in long time! Hmm... yes... Mostro take knowledge of this as payment."

"What?"

Those long spindly arms began to fold against one another until they were of reasonable length for his otherwise tiny body, although the compacted limbs' width would fully eclipse him if one saw him from the side. Approaching her on his tiny legs, Sigourney would find the blue-leather tome in his hands, which he extended towards her.

"Pleasure doing service with smol inchoate!"

Reluctantly, she took the book, leery of any surprises the creature would have once she did. Once she did, however, Mostro would simply walk towards the back of his tent, where the pink clouds were suspiciously growing thicker and denser. Before she could say anything, the clouds completely filled the tent. Coughing and choking, she scrambled for the exit and upon dashing out of the opening flap, the entire tent collapsed into a flat heap of canvas, as if the whole thing had never occured, although the notebook she clung to like her life depended on it said otherwise. A few of the other merchants and patrons of the bazaar briefly glanced towards the girl, who had made such a racket, but quickly did they return to their own business. After all, being nosey in such places would only lead to unnecessary troubles.

Her quest completed, Sigourney quickly made a dash back to the alleyways and back towards the rebel headquarters; her only available sanctuary in this unknown city.

Selma groaned as she wandered into the safehouse their 'associates' were allowing them to hide out in. Her head was pounding, whatever that strange creature did to her back had left it throbbing, and she wanted nothing more than to just lay down, because she was already done with today.

'Maybe I'll ask around and find out if they have any information on a giant blob of constantly shifting black... stuff with too many damn eyes and mouths that lives in the Realm of Shadows. See if I can learn what exactly I made a 'deal' with.' Selma decided, rubbing her forehead and trying her best not to wonder what Leviathan had done to her back.

'Knowing my luck, probably going to be a black mass with a bunch of eyes and mouths that constantly calls me 'Brazen Insect'.' Selma thought bitterly, shuddering at the thought of such a thing growing on her back.

'Need to have someone take a look at my back to make sure there isn't something like that on my back.' Selma decided, looking around the safehouse to do that for her peace of mind before she laid down.

"Hey, anyone willing to do a quick favor for me?" Selma asked.
    Last edited by The Dog; 08-04-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    - C.S. Lewis

Retired Overlord

Lucia... I just wanted to come home in peace, why did you have to do this to me...

Every nerve in Morgen's body told her that if she lied, they would find out. And when they did, not only would she suffer -- the rest of the family would suffer as well. She barely knew them, it shouldn't have been any skin off her back... and yet, she was momentarily frozen with indecision. Some of them she couldn't care less if they were left rotting in a cell, that would be good riddance. But the others...

For now, she was at ease enough to share some of the basics. She expected the information wouldn't be too far off from the administratum's projected observations.

Morgen confirmed each person she personally witnessed, adding, "Last I remember, a handful of them had left the premises but their return is anticipated so that they could move out as a group. That may give us us a little more time to mobilize, but I don't know how much." She pursed her lip. "Yes, I suppose it would be nice if this could end without bloodshed... enough lives have been lost already." She wasn't entirely sure what that area of the slums was called, exactly, but she described the location to the best of her ability to Alice.
    Alice listened to every detail, nodding and smiling.

"Very good...it would be nice, wouldn't it. Truth be told....I don't want anyone to die either." The Nephillim rubbed her eye with her right finger. "It breaks my heart...it really does. Such wasted potential...." Alice flicked her hands, bringing the image of Mulvric back up and letting it drift. ".......you can't tease the dead. Can't torture them....can't even have a laugh at their expense. Really a waste.....but..right now I think the biggest waste is the one sitting in front of me....."

Slowly, intentionally, as she spoke she expanded the the borders of the image.....soon other people came into focus, other people Morgan recognized. Survivors of A9, all of them she had seen.....in fact.....

Something heavy dropped in Morgans stomach.

The picture was now fully expanded. She could see Mulvric, a host of A9 refugees waiting outside an elevator.......and there, next to the terrorist leader, was a girl of prestigious upbringing.

"......Well......what do you have say? It was a spur of the moment decision? I was only helping them to lull them into a false sense of security? I'm innocent...I'd never associate with rebels." Alice mockingly imitated her voice rather accurately, before resting her chin on her fingers and smiling. "Not that it matters what you say......how this story plays out will be decided by me......that's what I do. I could spin a thousand different stories with this one picture.....maybe I could make you the traitorous daughter, maybe your sisters too.....your whole family........or maybe I could publicize the hand you had in ratting our your "new friends".....I hear they have a witch killer with them now.....I'm sure she'd be thrilled to find out you betrayed them for a promotion."

Alice smile grew crueler and crueler, her aura more vile as the moments past....

"Or maybe...or maybe I could even...."

The suddenly it was gone, and her more pleasant smile returned.

"Maybe I could forgot this ever happen.....snip this footage from the system, delete it and act like I never found anything else.......would you like that? I would love to do it......for a fan....a big fan.....a huge fan.......the kind of fan that would get down on all fours and kiss....my....feet..." Alice extended her right foot, beaming a smile that spoke without a word that she had more then enough power to make what she said happen.

Morgen tensed up immediately. Her fingers clung to her thighs and dug into the skin like claws, her eyes widening in horror as she saw herself appear. She was in so much deeper **** than she ever could've realized. Each line of mockery shoved the nail deeper into her heart, and all sense of naive hopefulness drained from her. There was so much she wanted to say to her, she was desperate to defend herself no matter how feeble it was. This isn't fair... this isnt' fair! I didn't do anything wrong!

Quivering, she felt her eyes well up again, and she closed them shut. Save your tears. There's no pity here.
    Without thinking, she felt herself sinking to the ground, bringing her face closer to Alice's extended foot. It was easy. Just one kiss. That's all she had to do, and she was in the clear. Pride be damned. Pride be damned. She felt the shadow's hand on her shoulder, and a hushed voice in her ear.

"Pathetic. Disgusting. You're really going to spend your whole life licking boots? Acting like a dog, just to save your own skin... the only thing you're proving to her right now is that you have no fucking backbone. Stand up. Stand up, you useless fucking rag, and be a GODAMN human being for once in your miserable life!"

Morgen inhaled a sharp breath, and rose to her feet.

"...No. I won't."

Steeling herself, she looked up at Alice and locked eyes with the smug nephilim before her. "Keep the footage, I don't care." She was surprised by her own words, and even she couldn't tell if she was bluffing or not right now. "A promise held on such a fragile balance is going to crumble sooner or later -- I doubt you even need it. If you want my hand in the investigation, then you have it. I stand by what I said -- I truly wish to help restore order to this city. But I am NOT a lapdog." Morgen's chest rose and fell with heavy breaths, never breaking eye contact. She may very well have just made an incredible life ending mistake... but in this moment, her father's words resonated deeply within her.

As much of a bastard as he is, he was right about one thing. This was no way for a human being live. She was either going to forge her own path, or die.

She was really hoping she wouldn't die, though. That bravado is going to fade quickly.
    Last edited by Melon God; 08-05-2020 at 12:20 AM.