Default Thoughts on the Monsterverse; Godzilla 2014, Skull Island, Etc?

Noticed that there doesn't seem to be much talk about these films here. Anyone watched this batch of monster movies? Godzilla, Skull Island, King of Monsters, with Kong v Godzilla coming....I think it was supposed to be this year, but with the pandemic it may have been pushed back?

I gotta admit....I like 'em. I was never a fan of the whole kaiju thing. Saw the Godzilla from the 90's, and thought it was awful. I did enjoy the Kong film with Jack Black, but never really had a desire to dive into the characters and history or Kong or these other giant monsters.

Then the pandemic hit and you can only watch your own DvD's so much before you get bored. And I play Magic the Gathering with my son and one of their newer sets were doing Godzilla cards and I ended up watching King of the Monsters just to get in the right mindset for the Magic release.....and you know what, it was fun. I wouldn't call it great cinema but you've got giant creatures crushing buildings and tearing each other apart while people run around and try not to die. Some fun commentary on climate change and whatnot. So I hunted down the 2014 Godzilla and liked that even more, and then actually ordered Skull Island on Amazon, since I couldn't find it on a streaming service. Thought that was alright too.

So, what do people think of these films? Obviously I've known about Godzilla and Kong since....forever, I guess; they're cultural icons after all, but I was never a fan, never knew more than what any nerd would pick up through the grapevine. So, do these movies hold up? Are these proper representations of the old Toho films? Are people looking forward to the Kong-Godzilla film or is everyone expecting a Batman v Superman kind of failure, or what?

Gotta be honest, considering how big these IP's are (no pun intended) I expected more chatter on CBR. Or am I just super late to the party and everyone has said their peace already?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There is a pretty active Godzilla thread on this forum.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hings-Godzilla
    Last edited by Kirby101; 07-04-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm a big fan of Godzilla, Kong, and giant monsters or kaiju in general. Loved the 2014 film and Skull Island, and while King of the Monsters wasn't as good it was still a hoot of fun. Stupid fun, but fun. And Toho's 2016 Shin Godzilla was pretty serious and great. Definitely looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong no matter what, and interested in what comes next, whether from Legendary's MonsterVerse or Toho

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There is a pretty active Godzilla thread on this forum.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hings-Godzilla
    Oh son of a bitch I didn't see it!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love King Kong, and giant monster movies. I haven't seen Skull Island though, it didn't look very Kong-y. Is it on any streaming?

I liked the 2014 Godzilla flick. Haven't seen the newer one, tried to watch it but the focus was a bit too much on the human characters.

I want to see Mechagodzilla get his due!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm a big fan of Godzilla, Kong, and giant monsters or kaiju in general. Loved the 2014 film and Skull Island, and while King of the Monsters wasn't as good it was still a hoot of fun. Stupid fun, but fun. And Toho's 2016 Shin Godzilla was pretty serious and great. Definitely looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong no matter what, and interested in what comes next, whether from Legendary's MonsterVerse or Toho
    Crap, meant to include a reply here with the post above. Stupid scotch making me not brain good. Of course I did pour a little heavy too.....

Yeah, they are stupid fun but....it's a MCU kind of stupid fun; just a lot of explosions and cgi and cool designs and violence everywhere.

Having watched these movies out of order, it took a minute for me to realize that, like, hey the guy who watches Mothra hatch was also in Skull Island, and there are other little connections and shout outs I didn't catch at first that lend a nice touch of depth to the movies without being overbearing about it. And I realized that the Monsterverse is probably the only shared cinematic universe other than Marvel's that I'm actually enjoying. The DCEU has some good films but at best it's a 50/50 split between "I'd watch that again" and "I wish I had those two hours of my life back." These Godzilla flicks though, I'm digging them, and considering my only experience with Godzilla before this was that awful 90's film this is something I didn't think I'd ever say.

~ Black Panther.