Incredible Member

Post Huh Spiderman Marvel Knights is there version of Batman Hush !!!

Did I read that right ? How in the hell did CBR come to that conclusion
    I'm a huge fan of that story too btw
    Last edited by Mauled; 07-05-2020 at 06:39 AM.

It fits in the sense of there being a gauntlet of his greatest villains that Spider-Man has to fight and incorporating a lot of the core and identifiable characters and story beats for a Spider-Man story.

BANNED

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man was intended to be a low-continuity introduction to Spider-Man and his world for new readers in the same way HUSH was intended to bring readers back to ongoing Batman comics. So in that sense it fits.

Storywise it's different. In fact, as far as Spider-Man and Hush goes, Kindred is far closer to Hush as storyline and character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It fits in the sense of there being a gauntlet of his greatest villains that Spider-Man has to fight and incorporating a lot of the core and identifiable characters and story beats for a Spider-Man story.
    That's fair but to say it's one of the worst and a copy with cheesy lines that I'm not so sure

Never read Hush, but did just see the movie adaptation. Would love to see Marvel do a Kraven's Last Hunt take like that.

Need to read the Marvel Knights Spidey sometime.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Never read Hush, but did just see the movie adaptation.
    Movie adaptation is not faithful to the comic at all. The good news is that if you read Hush now, you probably will still be surprised by how it turns out.

Would love to see Marvel do a Kraven's Last Hunt take like that.

Need to read the Marvel Knights Spidey sometime.
    Same here.

And Marvel Knights Spider-Man is Mark Millar's best work at Marvel. Better than his Ultimate stuff, better than Civil War, better than Old Man Logan. It has his strengths without his weaknesses.

I can get the argument, but the idea of a superhero facing many of their greatest enemies didn't start with Hush.

Hush was the third time Jeph Loeb did that kind of story with Batman, following The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

However, we also saw it with Spider-Man in the first Sinister Six annual back in 1964.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Honestly, I do agree with the idea that, thematically speaking, Marvel Knights: Spider-Man could be Spider-Man's equivalent to Hush.

You have a major writer and artist team jumping in to write a limited series/standalone story that still has direct ramifications on the future, it's a personal story but with an epic scope and wide ensemble taking part. Plus at the centre of both stories is a delve into the complex relationships between the heroes' archenemy and love interest(s).

I'm still really surprised Marvel doesn't do more to promote or re-release this series, it is Mark Millar's best Marvel book by far, it has all the best qualities of Spider-Man stories rolled into one, and it's perfect for a big trade release ala Hush.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Movie adaptation is not faithful to the comic at all. The good news is that if you read Hush now, you probably will still be surprised by how it turns out.
    Well, it was 70% faithful to the comic at least up until the last half.

Spectacular Member

Just finished reading this series today and I agree with the sentiment, especially when it comes down to quality. Marvel knight's Spider-man is a fun, breezily written, entertaining story that runs the gauntlet of iconic Spider-Man supporting characters, moments, and villains with beautiful artwork, but it falls apart a little bit when you think more about the story (which is exactly what I would say about Hush). I love some of the individual moments (particularly what Millar does with Venom and Norman), but the story is riddles with plot holes here and and Peter is really dumb throughout the story. Similarly, the idea of corporations forcing super villains to fight specific heroes works with a more vague knowledge of the marvel universe, but it breaks down when you look at specific comic book history. Superheroes trade villains for one off stories all the time and Spider-Man fighting villains from other Rogues galleries (like Mr. Hyde, Juggernaut, and Taskmaster) is a tradition in Spider-Man stories, so that flies in the face of what Millar was trying to set up.

I will say that it is the best of Millar's marvel works. It largely (but not completely) lacks the mean spirited uber violence that he is usually known for and I sense a genuine love for the characters that I rarely get from Millar. I also love how he instills little details about the powers and how they work. Peter mentions that his Spider-sense is less effective in rain, we get a description of what the Venom suit feels like, and the Vulture can only hover without his wings, and so on. These details added verisimilitude to the story.

Plus, that Terry Dodson art is PHENOMENAL. Seriously, it's some of the most beautiful art I have ever seen, and many pages could be posters.

So, Marvel Knight's Spider-Man is a really fun read, and I 100% agree with it being the Spider-Man equivalent to Hush.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I'm still really surprised Marvel doesn't do more to promote or re-release this series, it is Mark Millar's best Marvel book by far, it has all the best qualities of Spider-Man stories rolled into one, and it's perfect for a big trade release ala Hush.
    Agreed totally.