Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It works when he does it because we believe he is a skilled professional who can do this because, again he emphasized, we are really doing it to ourselves.
    That's very true.

When i was a kid i used to get tonsillitis like every month. One day, my mother took me to some kind of healer, not sure how you would call in English but the kind with damn hot hands lol.

Very gentle and nice man, he did his magic, took the generous amount of money he was asking for his miracle and told us that this sickness thingie was a thing of the past. I was not even 8 years old but i remember very well that man and know what? Never so far did i ever suffer from tonsillitis again. Not a single time in the 34 years from then.

Did that man actually has super powers? I don't think so it but he left me with such an impression that 8 year old me never thought about doubting him. Of course i was cured, Healing Superman said so.

The mind is indeed a wonder.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 08-05-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Can you do us a favor and let us know if the ghosts are naked or not? I see no logical reason whatsoever why there should be apparitions of inanimate clothing. Though it would be kind of cool to have ghost rocks and trees around. Birds would be all "I'm gonna land there" and miss.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That's very true.

When i was a kid i used to get tonsillitis like every month. One day, my mother took me to some kind of healer, not sure how you would call in English but the kind with damn hot hands lol.

Very gentle and nice man, he did his magic, took the generous amount of money he was asking for his miracle and told us that this sickness thingie was a thing of the past. I was not even 8 years old but i remember very well that man and know what? Never so far did i ever suffer from tonsillitis again. Not a single time in the 34 years from then.

Did that man actually has super powers? I don't think so it but he left me with such an impression that 8 year old me never thought about doubting him. Of course i was cured, Healing Superman said so.

The mind is indeed a wonder.
    It is indeed. We have an amazing ability to delude ourselves. There's that place in Mexico where people claim the Virgin Mary's face has been floating in a cloud over the place for decades. They are all raised from earliest childhood to believe this or have their minds set on the idea that's whet they will see. People without the conditioning go there and see no such thing as what they claim because they are not mentally locked into forcing the association.

Plus, to be bluntly honest, we can never assume that a rendition of events we are told is what really happened. Not to say anyone is lying but people also create and embellish things and don't even realize it. There are studies where a person will be asked to tell a story about something that they personally experienced. They are asked to return and tell the story again a year later, then five, then ten. The story changes drastically and, when confronted with themselves on tape telling the story ten years earlier, they cannot believe the story has changed that much or at all in their minds.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It is indeed. We have an amazing ability to delude ourselves. There's that place in Mexico where people claim the Virgin Mary's face has been floating in a cloud over the place for decades. They are all raised from earliest childhood to believe this or have their minds set on the idea that's whet they will see. People without the conditioning go there and see no such thing as what they claim because they are not mentally locked into forcing the association.

Plus, to be bluntly honest, we can never assume that a rendition of events we are told is what really happened. Not to say anyone is lying but people also create and embellish things and don't even realize it. There are studies where a person will be asked to tell a story about something that they personally experienced. They are asked to return and tell the story again a year later, then five, then ten. The story changes drastically and, when confronted with themselves on tape telling the story ten years earlier, they cannot believe the story has changed that much or at all in their minds.
    We don't doubt that emotions are real. But as important as they are to human well-being, they are not factual. And oftentimes they are not accurate. I don't see one delusion as being different from another, in human existence. If people want to see Jesus in toast or a man on the moon, or a rabbit hauling a wheelbarrow full of carrots on the moon instead, why not?

Your last paragraph is interesting. You can talk with two people about the same exact event and get two wildly different descriptions. Perspective colours everything.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's not about "entirely sure". It's about claims vs evidence. It's about the logic of the claim. Ghosts being real is not the default position. So accepting ghosts must be accompanied by objective evidence. As Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Colin Wilson is far from a skeptical or rational look at poltergeist.
    https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/co...ery_mongering/
    Then shouldn't i be very doubtful/uncertain about the existence of ghosts if someone has claimed to have encountered one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Then shouldn't i be very doubtful/uncertain about the existence of ghosts if someone has claimed to have encountered one?
    Yes, you should be. Anecdotal and eye-witness is among the least reliable evidence. Tales of ghost generally fall under the modern myth or folktale category.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yes, you should be. Anecdotal and eye-witness is among the least reliable evidence. Tales of ghost generally fall under the modern myth or folktale category.
    Just like particularly some legends while eye-witness or evidence not be 100% accurate/real.
    Last edited by Tyrannoraptor; 08-06-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Personally i see ghosts (haha) the same way that i see ufo sightings or religions. I'm not saying it's all made up cause in the end i don't know but nothing in my personal experience ever made me think that such things are real.

But i wouldn't make fun of someone telling me a story about it cause most of the time, except if the person is dying for attention or if there is some kind of scam behind it, the one telling you that said story is sincere. Incorrect most likely but sincere. May that be about seeing some weird **** in the sky, having a disturbing supernatural experience or seeing Jesus in a tacos. (i would laugh at the last one though, i'm not that open-minded)

Extraordinary Member

Personally i see ghosts (haha) the same way that i see ufo sightings or religions. I'm not saying it's all made up cause in the end i don't know but nothing in my personal experience ever made me think that such things are real.

But i wouldn't make fun of someone telling me a story about it cause most of the time, except if the person is dying for attention or if there is some kind of scam behind it, the one telling you that said story is sincere. Incorrect most likely but sincere. May that be about seeing some weird **** in the sky, having a disturbing supernatural experience or seeing Jesus in a tacos. (i would laugh at the last one though, i'm not that open-minded)
    Alien ghosts! There must be some, since there already are ghosts and aliens. Hmmm, I wonder if alien ghosts also exclusively butt probe rednecks and people from Yorkshire? That's a frightening thought.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Alien ghosts!
    Poor bastard, only alien ghost on a planet full of human ghosts, waiting for a ghost ship to bring him home to his alien ghosts friends.

Poor bastard, only alien ghost on a planet full of human ghosts, waiting for a ghost ship to bring him home to his alien ghosts friends.
    Wasn't that part of the plot to Farmer's Riverworld?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Can you do us a favor and let us know if the ghosts are naked or not? I see no logical reason whatsoever why there should be apparitions of inanimate clothing. Though it would be kind of cool to have ghost rocks and trees around. Birds would be all "I'm gonna land there" and miss.
    I've not seen any account of naked ghosts anywhere I will say this though. As a child I grew up in a house owned by our grandfather. My Mom and Dad had some kind of arrangement with my Dad paying the bills for power etc. Anyway, when it came time to move Grandpa to a facility due to his age (90s ) and health issues (bedridden at this point). He was very agitated about leaving. Some months went by and he passed away there after less than a year.

These were the days of a household only have one TV and I would sometimes sneak downstairs and watch TV when my parents were asleep. Grandpa's bedroom on the main floor was not being used at that time, just off the living room. I had the sound down pretty low on the TV and was close enough to hear it laying on the floor. Then I heard the sound of a footsteps....a shuffling sound across the carpet in a steady, slow pace to my left. It was as if they were coming from the kitchen or bathroom area and heading towards Grandpa's room. Needless to say I shot up those stairs and hid!

As for ghosts with clothes, if you can accept what some people say about Civil War battlefields, spectres of soldiers in uniform are frequently seen at Gettysburg.

No, but it was the plot of a Scooby Doo episode.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 08-07-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I've not seen any account of naked ghosts anywhere
    Man, even in death there is a dress code.

That sucks.

Extraordinary Member

There was ghost alien anal probing in that too?!?