Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Do you think i should let my guard down against a haunting if it has been stated (or science has implied) that ghosts, spirits and the afterlife never existed at the first place so as to be overly sure of that?
    If I'm by myself in my apartment in the middle of the night, and I suddenly hear someone or something yell for me to "Get out!", I'm going to ignore anything science says, get out of bed, pack my... stuff, and get out. I believe that there are things that happen in this universe that science cannot explain or prove, but that doesn't mean those things don't happen.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Like other here have questioned, what does "lowering your guard" mean?

I enjoy watching paranormal TV shows (my fave is The Dead Files), but I take these with a few grains of salt, remembering that these are shot for entertainment purposes.

I frequently hear pops and cracks around the apartment, but I often contribute them to the refrigerator, or noise from another apartment, and not something paranormal.

That being said, I do have a belief in the afterlife and ghosts/spirits. I've had some personal experiences with ouija boards, as well as 3 psychic/medium readings that really impressed me.

Funny story, when I toured this apartment complex (it's four buildings in a garden-style apartment setting, each building has 6 apartments in it, three on each floor), I went into the apartment I would be renting, and looked out my bedroom window, and saw that it faced a cemetery. I turned to the super (he was giving me the tour) and said "Oh, the neighbors are quiet." He then asked me if that bothered me, and I told him 'no'. His reply was that I was the fourth person to tour the apartment, and the prior three people looked out the window, saw the cemetery, and turned to him and said "No, I can't stay here" and left. LOL

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If I'm by myself in my apartment in the middle of the night, and I suddenly hear someone or something yell for me to "Get out!", I'm going to ignore anything science says, get out of bed, pack my... stuff, and get out. I believe that there are things that happen in this universe that science cannot explain or prove, but that doesn't mean those things don't happen.

I have a coworker who just bought her first house. We were all talking to about it, and she went into the topic of the inspections she had to have. I told her she forgot to do something, and everyone looked at me and asked what I meant.

I replied with:

"If I ever buy a house, I'll do all the inspections that Sacha did. Once they are done, I'm going to go into the house with a group of kids, all aged between 5 - 10 years old, and tell them "have fun and play hide-and-seek". After a few hours, I'll collect them all up. When I ask them what they think of the house, if any of them talk about "the funny boy in the closet" or "the old woman under the stairs" I know to walk away quickly.

LOL

Well, speaking as someone who doesn't really believe in ghosts or hauntings, I would say, sure. But if you have any reason to believe in the supernatural, trust your instincts and experiences, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Personally, I'd get out of bed, turn on some lights, and find out who was shouting and why. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Personally, I'd get out of bed, turn on some lights, and find out who was shouting and why. But to each their own.
    Probably just the wife being pissed at something anyway.

Astonishing Member

Fun story: After I was watching Paranormal Activity 3, home alone, all lights out and the Bose surround system on a DVD fell off my rack. I switched the TV off, and in that second, when the hole house was dark (I intended to switch the light on after switching the TV off) the DVD fell to the ground and I, the man I am, screamed like a little girl and believed for a second a Haunting would start because I watched too many of these movies.

I rolled my eyes a moment later, because I am not a believer of those things, and the cause of that was the sub woofer booming and the DVD lose in the rack, nothing else. But yeah, the movie spooked me out, but that moment topped that even more.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I have a coworker who just bought her first house. We were all talking to about it, and she went into the topic of the inspections she had to have. I told her she forgot to do something, and everyone looked at me and asked what I meant.

I replied with:

"If I ever buy a house, I'll do all the inspections that Sacha did. Once they are done, I'm going to go into the house with a group of kids, all aged between 5 - 10 years old, and tell them "have fun and play hide-and-seek". After a few hours, I'll collect them all up. When I ask them what they think of the house, if any of them talk about "the funny boy in the closet" or "the old woman under the stairs" I know to walk away quickly.

LOL
    Yeah, I would too. In some of those paranormal videos I've seen, there is a lot of strange stuff of children reacting to something that apparently the adults can't see. Esp if the child is a toddler old enough to talk but without any real sense of the world yet.

Good idea. Audio-visual hallucinations can be a strong early indicator of autistic spectrum disorder.

Without knowing your precise situation, I'd say documenting things by writing down what's going on with dates and times and filming/photographing what you can is a good start so you (and others) can start eliminating or confirming rational explanations. I mean, I believe pretty much anything is possible and may have experienced something, but there was most likely another explanation that's far more plausible. So again, document what you can and review it in a calm area and state of mind, listing possible causes to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, I would too. In some of those paranormal videos I've seen, there is a lot of strange stuff of children reacting to something that apparently the adults can't see. Esp if the child is a toddler old enough to talk but without any real sense of the world yet.
    A former coworker of mine lives in a house that he claimed is haunted by several ghosts. Over the years, he's had his own levels of encounters with them. One time he told me that his two daughters seemed to be somehow more perceptive when they were young, and would have actual conversations with the ghosts; which he never did.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Oh HELL no, never let your guard down in that type of situation.
    I agree with your statement. A wise person knows that they do not know all there is to know. There could be something going on there our science does not presently or completely understand. Is it caused by "ghosts", extradimensional entities, a natural phenomenon, or even malicious people, who knows? But it might be harmful to us. When in doubt, I say exercise caution if possible.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-06-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Just never spend the winter in a large hotel with only your family.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What's extremely scary is how your mind can play tricks on you, especially when you're by yourself somewhere, and your imagination starts running wild.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’ve seen those documentaries. Riveting stuff..!
    Believe it or not, a "serious" version of Scooby Doo exists.

Of course, they change the main characters names.