Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The standalone movies prior to Flashpoint Paradox weren't all great but yeah I'd prefer going back to that format since the only ones in the DCAMU I liked could be viewed mostly independently. At least go back to trying out different art styles each film like they used to.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes, if you want them to fit they could - but that loose continuity is only there if you want it to be in continuity. Sure, Under the Red Hood could fit into the continuity of Superman Batman Public Enemies, but it only "fits" it isn't official. It you care to have it in continuity you can say that it is, but if you don't you can say it doesn't and be just as right. It was such a loose continuity that it also doubled as not being continuity. And that flexibility worked. You weren't told that this was all connected and in the same universe, you could decide that. Getting the movie right was more important.
    Exactly. That was the beauty of the old DCAU and hope they get back that. Don't worry if everything fits together nicely and trying to chase Marvel in terms of having it all be one big continuity that is constantly referencing itself. Just tell great stories and let the audience put it all together, or not, at their leisure.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The standalone movies prior to Flashpoint Paradox weren't all great but yeah I'd prefer going back to that format since the only ones in the DCAMU I liked could be viewed mostly independently. At least go back to trying out different art styles each film like they used to.
    This is the real great thing about more stand alone stuff. Different art styles. I like Phil Bourasa's stuff, but he shouldn't have been the default look for the DCAU any more than Timm's designs should have been the only one used in the old DCAU. I would have loved to see seasons of JLU with different visual looks.

Having Bourasa's style be the default for Young Justice, the CW/Seed Animated Verse, and the DTV animated movies was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Waiting for Bored at 3:00am to chime in on this, but would welcome everyone's views.

Last night, I finally watched JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK: APOKOLIPS WAR. Apparently, this will be the last animated film set in the DC Animated Movies Universe that started in 2013 with FLASHPOINT: PARADOX. Essentially, these movies were set in the animated version of the New 52 DCU.

That leads me to ask: what came before (e.g. what was the animated universe like before FLASHPOINT: PARADOX) and what will the next animated iteration be like?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    There was non. The Flashpoint movie was written as a standalone then according to James tucker in this interview execs just walked in told him they had decided to make it an animated universe.

https://sciencefiction.com/2017/10/2...ed-continuity/

It seems that we are going to get a new shared universe because in this interview Tuckers dialogue as he talks about death of Superman seems to be setup for a new shared universe.

The scene from the Animated Flashpoint movie where Flash runs through the city was what convinced the head of CW to adapt the story for the TV Show

Or what for it......... We can have both Standalones and Shared Universe movies.

I don't want either I both like we have now.
    Something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Exactly. That was the beauty of the old DCAU and hope they get back that. Don't worry if everything fits together nicely and trying to chase Marvel in terms of having it all be one big continuity that is constantly referencing itself. Just tell great stories and let the audience put it all together, or not, at their leisure.
    But that doesn't mean there isn't anything of value in having a shared continuity that can lend to one another and build a longer, bigger, story. It doesn't even need to be a chasing Marvel thing. You can deliver great stories that are of just as much value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is the real great thing about more stand alone stuff. Different art styles. I like Phil Bourasa's stuff, but he shouldn't have been the default look for the DCAU any more than Timm's designs should have been the only one used in the old DCAU. I would have loved to see seasons of JLU with different visual looks.

Having Bourasa's style be the default for Young Justice, the CW/Seed Animated Verse, and the DTV animated movies was too much.
    From a production standpoint I think it helped with delivering consistent content that he could turn out designs so quickly or they were easily re-usable between the movies and the cartoons.

I mean, if there's going to be a single continuity of stories it makes sense that the art style would stay consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Or what for it......... We can have both Standalones and Shared Universe movies.

I don't want either I both like we have now.
    Something for everyone.
    What we've had though hasn't been all that great. A few movies were shared universe that shouldn't have been.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just started to take a look at some of these movies. I thought Gods and Monsters was great so I went back to Flashpoint and then Justice League War. What is next in the continuity? It thought Flashpoint and War were both animated really well. I felt sorry for Darkseid, the JLA really did a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just started to take a look at some of these movies. I thought Gods and Monsters was great so I went back to Flashpoint and then Justice League War. What is next in the continuity? It thought Flashpoint and War were both animated really well. I felt sorry for Darkseid, the JLA really did a number.

I keep reading that, but I still keep feeling I read it wrong.

What we've had though hasn't been all that great. A few movies were shared universe that shouldn't have been.
    How do you quantify that though? As it is we had a better Death of Superman adaption as a shared universe film then we did as a standalone, not to mention Reign.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I was thinking: CW already did CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS on live-action TV last winter. What about an animated movie version?

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I was thinking: CW already did CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS on live-action TV last winter. What about an animated movie version?

Couldn’t afford to make it at their current budget level.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Couldn’t afford to make it at their current budget level.
    How would a crisis animated film have a larger budget than any other animated film?

It's really not a good middle ground. Some of us like me prefer good to great standalone movies, some of us like you prefer continuity, and that's okay, no fandom can agree on anything. But I don't think you can halfway have both and expect to really please anyone and call it middle ground.
    Well then sign me up for a shared universe, because otherwise I’m not interested in the same characters over and over again. With Cyborg shoehorned in for diversity points, because what they’ll do, lookin at DC’a most iconic stories. And why not? They can do stand alones for you and in continuity for me. You can skip the in continuity ones and I can skip the stand alone ones.
    Last edited by Samm; 07-06-2020 at 06:34 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

The best animated movies pre-New 52 were the Batman films.

Batman Under The Red Hood was a masterpiece and it was even written by Winnick; which I thought was really cool.

Up second was DKR, admittedly though the first volume was better than the second.

And third is JL: Crisis on Two Earths, James Woods as Owlman *chef's kiss* amazing casting choice - he was so menacing

I also enjoyed that they tried to mimic the art style of the comic itself as well, which is sorely missed in the new films