Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is the real great thing about more stand alone stuff. Different art styles. I like Phil Bourasa's stuff, but he shouldn't have been the default look for the DCAU any more than Timm's designs should have been the only one used in the old DCAU. I would have loved to see seasons of JLU with different visual looks.

Having Bourasa's style be the default for Young Justice, the CW/Seed Animated Verse, and the DTV animated movies was too much.
    Yeah, when YJ first started out I thought it was an interesting diversion from the Timm DCAU style but when it became the default house style for all the animated movies it was big reason I lost interest in the animated movies for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How do you quantify that though? As it is we had a better Death of Superman adaption as a shared universe film then we did as a standalone, not to mention Reign.
    I think the Batman films suffered from it most, and in the case of Superman nothing that elevated that film from previous attempts had anything to do with the shared continuity. The continuity merely didn't hinder the story that time, it didn't add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Well then sign me up for a shared universe, because otherwise I’m not interested in the same characters over and over again. With Cyborg shoehorned in for diversity points, because what they’ll do, lookin at DC’a most iconic stories. And why not? They can do stand alones for you and in continuity for me. You can skip the in continuity ones and I can skip the stand alone ones.
    I really don't understand why you believe a shared universe somehow improves on diversity over standalones? The two have nothing in connection that I can tell, you can still do diversity in standalone, continuity doesn't have anything to do with it.

Without shared Universe: 4 Superman films; 4 Batman films; 4 Justice League films; 2 Superman/Batman films; 2 Green Lantern films and a Wonder Woman film

The JL films always featured the same characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Martian Manhunter and Cyborg for diversity). Only Supergirl and Jason Todd got any focus outside of those characters.

With a shared Universe: 4 Batman films, 2 Justice League films, 2 Superman films, 2 Teen Titans films, 2 JLD films, 1 Suicide Squad film, and a Wonder Woman film.

Plus 4 out of continuity Batman films, 2 out of continuity JL films and 1 Superman film that’s out of continuity.

The JL featured a lineup of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Cyborg, Shazam and Aquaman. John Stewart, Hawkman and Martian Manhunter were later added. The Bat films showcased Damian, Batwoman, Batwing and Nightwing. The TT films showcases Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, Blue Beetle, and Terra (Also has cameos from Bumblebee, Roy and Wally). The JLD showcases Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Etrigan and Black Orchid. The SS films showcases Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Waller, Bronze Tiger and Kiler Frost.

Easy to see why I prefer the shared continuity. It allows for more characters to get a chance to shine!

Without shared Universe: 4 Superman films; 4 Batman films; 4 Justice League films; 2 Superman/Batman films; 2 Green Lantern films and a Wonder Woman film

The JL films always featured the same characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Martian Manhunter and Cyborg for diversity). Only Supergirl and Jason Todd got any focus outside of those characters.

With a shared Universe: 4 Batman films, 2 Justice League films, 2 Superman films, 2 Teen Titans films, 2 JLD films, 1 Suicide Squad film, and a Wonder Woman film.

Plus 4 out of continuity Batman films, 2 out of continuity JL films and 1 Superman film that’s out of continuity.

The JL featured a lineup of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Cyborg, Shazam and Aquaman. John Stewart, Hawkman and Martian Manhunter were later added. The Bat films showcased Damian, Batwoman, Batwing and Nightwing. The TT films showcases Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, Blue Beetle, and Terra (Also has cameos from Bumblebee, Roy and Wally). The JLD showcases Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Etrigan and Black Orchid. The SS films showcases Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Waller, Bronze Tiger and Kiler Frost.

Easy to see why I prefer the shared continuity. It allows for more characters to get a chance to shine!
    Yeah no, of course the earlier years featured the most popular heroes to start with as they built up the brand and line, never mind the fact that they made fewer movies a year, and were focused on going through the most popular stories they could first. But it's basically assuming that them trying more titles and heroes after Flashpoint was causality and not coincidence. It's not a good argument. You can have more diversity without a shared universe, and that's what I hope we're in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah no, of course the earlier years featured the most popular heroes to start with as they built up the brand and line, never mind the fact that they made fewer movies a year, and were focused on going through the most popular stories they could first. But it's basically assuming that them trying more titles and heroes after Flashpoint was causality and not coincidence. It's not a good argument. You can have more diversity without a shared universe, and that's what I hope we're in for.
    Doubtful. The next few animated films are Superman and Batman related. Haven’t heard anything about a JL film but it’ll likely be same boring lineup we’ve been getting for years, with Cyborg tossed in because reasons. Call me a pessimist but it’s but a guarantee we’re retuning to that old lineup of films. Oh well. Guess we all need a jumping off point and I’ve just reached mine.

Ultimate Member

First the Cyborg cheap shot-

Cyborg is the only POC at DC who has been seen consistently in all media. So I would think that plays into him on Justice League than diversity reasons.

Second part of the reason you keep seeing the same folks is because they can only use who DC COMICS allows them to use.

Key word ALLOWS them to use. It's why you didn't see Firestorm in the Booster Gold lead episode of Justice League Unlimited. That was suppose to be Firestorm's story. it got nixed because Dc was killing Ronnie off.

Aquaman vanished from that show because of the unaired Aquaman pilot on the WB.

Shared or separate universe means NOTHING if DC COMICS restricts who you can use. Especially if someone else is calling dibs on someone for an unannounced project.

Doubtful. The next few animated films are Superman and Batman related. Haven’t heard anything about a JL film but it’ll likely be same boring lineup we’ve been getting for years, with Cyborg tossed in because reasons. Call me a pessimist but it’s but a guarantee we’re retuning to that old lineup of films. Oh well. Guess we all need a jumping off point and I’ve just reached mine.
    Somehow I really, really doubt that has anything to do with the lack of shared continuity, but I see that you have your mind made up on it being connected somehow so whatever. I'm going to continue to hope for both no shared continuity and more diversity.

I think the Batman films suffered from it most, and in the case of Superman nothing that elevated that film from previous attempts had anything to do with the shared continuity. The continuity merely didn't hinder the story that time, it didn't add to it.
    Whatever your opinion on the continuity aspect, it did not prevent them from delivering a fairly straightforward and true-to-text adaption of a DC story.

The only Batman film that was really a direct adaption was Hush and the shared universe aspect didn't really matter towards the story changes they made.

So, ultimately, at the end of the day the writing is the most important thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    First the Cyborg cheap shot-

Cyborg is the only POC at DC who has been seen consistently in all media. So I would think that plays into him on Justice League than diversity reasons.

Second part of the reason you keep seeing the same folks is because they can only use who DC COMICS allows them to use.

Key word ALLOWS them to use. It's why you didn't see Firestorm in the Booster Gold lead episode of Justice League Unlimited. That was suppose to be Firestorm's story. it got nixed because Dc was killing Ronnie off.

Aquaman vanished from that show because of the unaired Aquaman pilot on the WB.

Shared or separate universe means NOTHING if DC COMICS restricts who you can use. Especially if someone else is calling dibs on someone for an unannounced project.
    You know what this reminds me of? Marvel and their Fox embargo .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

But that doesn't mean there isn't anything of value in having a shared continuity that can lend to one another and build a longer, bigger, story. It doesn't even need to be a chasing Marvel thing. You can deliver great stories that are of just as much value.

From a production standpoint I think it helped with delivering consistent content that he could turn out designs so quickly or they were easily re-usable between the movies and the cartoons.

I mean, if there's going to be a single continuity of stories it makes sense that the art style would stay consistent.
    Yeah, keeping to an already established art style helps cut down costs. It's why the Timm DCAU got brought back in JL vs Fatal Five. It wasn't meant to be a DCAU reunion, it was just cheaper to use the old designs.

When possible, I'd like to see more variation in visual flare though. The new look they are using for Man of Tomorrow looks great.

Yeah, Man of Tomorrow looks fantastic, I hope it lives up to the possibilities!

I'd be fine for sure if Man of Tomorrow jumpstarted a full new "AU", assuming it's, you know, actually good. J'onn looks rad, for example.

And frankly I'm kind of "over" origin stories that don't go more into actual ongoing adventures for the hero, so... yeah?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Whatever your opinion on the continuity aspect, it did not prevent them from delivering a fairly straightforward and true-to-text adaption of a DC story.

The only Batman film that was really a direct adaption was Hush and the shared universe aspect didn't really matter towards the story changes they made.

So, ultimately, at the end of the day the writing is the most important thing.

You know what this reminds me of? Marvel and their Fox embargo .
    Yes, good writing is the most important thing - but it seems like doing a shared universe really gets in the way of their writing somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yeah, Man of Tomorrow looks fantastic, I hope it lives up to the possibilities!

I'd be fine for sure if Man of Tomorrow jumpstarted a full new "AU", assuming it's, you know, actually good. J'onn looks rad, for example.

And frankly I'm kind of "over" origin stories that don't go more into actual ongoing adventures for the hero, so... yeah?
    It would also be kind of good if it didn't jump start a new universe and was good and the next Superman movie was unrelated to it but still later in his career.

I mean, I get origin fatigue in the comics with Superman, but those versions (the comics) should get continuations. The movies don't need a shared continuity to avoid the endless Superman origin train.

It would also be kind of good if it didn't jump start a new universe and was good and the next Superman movie was unrelated to it but still later in his career.

I mean, I get origin fatigue in the comics with Superman, but those versions (the comics) should get continuations. The movies don't need a shared continuity to avoid the endless Superman origin train.
    I think it can go either way. Superman doesn't need his origin told every time he shows up (and boy, you're absolutely right about origin fatigue, that's extremely real, especially with Superman) but I think there's a lot of good that can come from a continuing version of the character that isn't getting subtly rewritten with every new story because he's not the same "version," if that makes sense.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think it can go either way. Superman doesn't need his origin told every time he shows up (and boy, you're absolutely right about origin fatigue, that's extremely real, especially with Superman) but I think there's a lot of good that can come from a continuing version of the character that isn't getting subtly rewritten with every new story because he's not the same "version," if that makes sense.
    I don't think there's a need. We know who Superman is, he doesn't radically change outside of Elseworlds. Superman Doomsday, the two Superman Batman movies, JL Crisis on Two Earths, Superman vs the Elite, Superman Unbound, none of them suffered for not being all one ongoing version. I don't see how more good would necessarily come from a continuing shared version of the character, at best there might be some call backs to earlier films, which usually isn't something awesome anyways. At worst, same art style every film, same voice actors good and bad everytime, and worrying about not contradicting something from a previous film.