Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default DCAMU continuity? Bored at 3:00am?

Waiting for Bored at 3:00am to chime in on this, but would welcome everyone's views.

Last night, I finally watched JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK: APOKOLIPS WAR. Apparently, this will be the last animated film set in the DC Animated Movies Universe that started in 2013 with FLASHPOINT: PARADOX. Essentially, these movies were set in the animated version of the New 52 DCU.

That leads me to ask: what came before (e.g. what was the animated universe like before FLASHPOINT: PARADOX) and what will the next animated iteration be like?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

There was no animated movie universe, only shared animated universe was the DCAU. Before Flashpoint Paradox, the animated movies were standalone one and dones, not sharing any continuity with each other.

Watched Apokolips War last week. Without spoiling anything hopefully, the ending seemed to lend itself to any kind of reboot they want....they can go forward with cosmetic changes to bring things more in line visually with the current DCU, or tinker with any continuity they no longer like. Honestly I don't see much need to change any continuity pieces in the DCAU. It was very straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There was no animated movie universe, only shared animated universe was the DCAU. Before Flashpoint Paradox, the animated movies were standalone one and dones, not sharing any continuity with each other.
    And this is exactly what I hope they are going back too now with the new Superman movie coming up soon.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Put me down for someone who hopes they go back to the stand alone model. Forcing everything into the same universe just ruins some of these stories. There was no reason for Hush to reference Reign of the Supermen.
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While all the DTV DCAU films were relatively stand-alone, many of them did form a loose continuity because they were fairly accurate adaptations of DC stories taking place in the same continuity.

Batman: Year One jibes with Superman/Batman Public Enemies, which had a direct sequel in Superman/Batman Apocalypse. From there, both Batman: Under The Red Hood and Superman Unbound fit perfectly well as follow ups to those films.

From there, the Justice League films also fit perfectly into that loose continuity, starting with JL: Crisis on Two Worlds, then JL: Doom, which leads directly into The Flashpoint Paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    While all the DTV DCAU films were relatively stand-alone, many of them did form a loose continuity because they were fairly accurate adaptations of DC stories taking place in the same continuity.

Batman: Year One jibes with Superman/Batman Public Enemies, which had a direct sequel in Superman/Batman Apocalypse. From there, both Batman: Under The Red Hood and Superman Unbound fit perfectly well as follow ups to those films.

From there, the Justice League films also fit perfectly into that loose continuity, starting with JL: Crisis on Two Worlds, then JL: Doom, which leads directly into The Flashpoint Paradox.
    Yes, if you want them to fit they could - but that loose continuity is only there if you want it to be in continuity. Sure, Under the Red Hood could fit into the continuity of Superman Batman Public Enemies, but it only "fits" it isn't official. It you care to have it in continuity you can say that it is, but if you don't you can say it doesn't and be just as right. It was such a loose continuity that it also doubled as not being continuity. And that flexibility worked. You weren't told that this was all connected and in the same universe, you could decide that. Getting the movie right was more important.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Put me down for someone who hopes they go back to the stand alone model. Forcing everything into the same universe just ruins some of these stories. There was no reason for Hush to reference Reign of the Supermen.
    I don't think it was really that big of a deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it was really that big of a deal though.
    And the original Hush referenced President Luthor so it’s not like the original story completely ignored the larger DCU Status quo.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd rather the animated DCU simply tell great stories. They do not need to all occur in the same continuity.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'd rather the animated DCU simply tell great stories. They do not need to all occur in the same continuity.
    I agree. Continuity is only helpful in team-up movies, but they stopped doing Justice League movies after Throne of Atlantis anyway.

Continuity is only as good as the planning behind it. The DC animated movies had some direction when they were basing their movies off New 52 stories, but that only lasted so long and toward the end I didn't care one way or another that the movies fell in one timeline. If they're not going to plan these movies years in advance, I'd rather they just made good one-off movies here and there.

I hope they create a new shared universe with its own original stories that occasionally borrows some elements from iconic DC stories. They can still do stand alone films as well, especially if they want to adapt certain stories directly. I think that’s a good middle ground! Quite frankly a lot of DC’s events focus on the same characters and lack diversity so I’d rather a shared continuity not inherit those issues

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I hope they create a new shared universe with its own original stories that occasionally borrows some elements from iconic DC stories. They can still do stand alone films as well, especially if they want to adapt certain stories directly. I think that’s a good middle ground! Quite frankly a lot of DC’s events focus on the same characters and lack diversity so I’d rather a shared continuity not inherit those issues
    It's really not a good middle ground. Some of us like me prefer good to great standalone movies, some of us like you prefer continuity, and that's okay, no fandom can agree on anything. But I don't think you can halfway have both and expect to really please anyone and call it middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yeah, they were still doing standalone and Elseworld stories even when there were in-continuity films.

I think it should ultimately just depend on what the producer wants to do with what specific film.