Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talonkidterror View Post
    I sent you a message on tumblr I'm the chick whose bette essay that I sent to the person doing robin musings you wanted to read. ×D I've been way busy soo lol
    Can I please read that essay? Hi lonestarfangirl
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    They established that Martha doesn't trust her side of the family. So regardless of what Jacob personally want, The Waynes probably didn't trust him enough to not sell Philip the Estate if he got the right to it. I don't think Jacob care, so I think it's just Martha not taking chances.

Kate wasn't made into Bruce's cousin until New 52 either. They officially made them family during Zero Year 2 years into New 52, which is also where the Philip Kane wanting the Wayne fortune plot started. I don't know how early they plan it, but up until the latest Batwoman story they wrote Pre-New 52 by J.H. Williams III, 2 years before, they're still not related.

Yeah that's what I meant. Making him Jewish by blood doesn't affect what they established that he personally practice
    I have no gripes with Bruce being Christian. Him being jewish by blood doesn't negate that
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

I haven't been a solid Batman in decades, so I wouldn't know but it seems like his religion never played a big part of the story.

For that matter, outside of Kate and her immediate family we don't hear that Bette had a Jewish upbringing.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I always assumed Bette was Jewish because Kate and Jacob are, and Martha was implied to be. So if the Kane's are Jewish, then Bette probably is too. See the Menorah next to the photo.

Which brings to mind, if Kate does get erased/retired in favor of the OC, there will be no more Jewish characters in the Bat-Family, unless they bring Bette into the Bat-Fam. If Kate is out, I want Bette in.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I haven't been a solid Batman in decades, so I wouldn't know but it seems like his religion never played a big part of the story.

For that matter, outside of Kate and her immediate family we don't hear that Bette had a Jewish upbringing.
    I think Bette is Jewish and does celebrate it. She definitely was in Bombshells

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I always assumed Bette was Jewish because Kate and Jacob are, and Martha was implied to be. So if the Kane's are Jewish, then Bette probably is too. See the Menorah next to the photo.

Which brings to mind, if Kate does get erased/retired in favor of the OC, there will be no more Jewish characters in the Bat-Family, unless they bring Bette into the Bat-Fam. If Kate is out, I want Bette in.

I second this! Also in Bombshells, Bette is furious and seems sad when she discovers that Kathy Webb is a Nazi lending credence to my theory that Bette is Jewish. And yes If Kate leaves, then I want Bette back. The Batfamily needs a Kane

We still have no idea what either of her parents names are, do we? Do we know anything about them? In silver age, post-COIE, or New52/Rebirth?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    We still have no idea what either of her parents names are, do we? Do we know anything about them? In silver age, post-COIE, or New52/Rebirth?
    The only hint to parents we have is in Zero Year where Bruce calls her "Cousin Bette" and in an issue of Batwoman when Bette's in her coma, her mother was apparently outside talking to the doctors about organ donation (further proof of the neglectful parents idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    The only hint to parents we have is in Zero Year where Bruce calls her "Cousin Bette" and in an issue of Batwoman when Bette's in her coma, her mother was apparently outside talking to the doctors about organ donation (further proof of the neglectful parents idea)
    I pretty much hate her parents and they've never even been on panel.

Incredible Member

I pretty much hate her parents and they've never even been on panel.
    If I ever get to write Bette, I'm revealing her parents were super neglectful. And just did not care about their daughter.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsukiakari1203 View Post
    the only hint to parents we have is in zero year where bruce calls her "cousin bette" and in an issue of batwoman when bette's in her coma, her mother was apparently outside talking to the doctors about organ donation (further proof of the neglectful parents idea)
    what the f

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    what the f
    I'm the only one who doesn't think this sounds evil? I mean, I haven't read it. But if Bette was given a low chance of survival by doctors, a parent having that discussion seems entirely reasonable to me. Actually, I'd call it compassionate - even while hurting over the likely death of your own loved one, you're talking about saving the lives of others. And I'd have expected Bette to be an organ donor, anyway (I'd expect most non-powered heroes to be - the powered ones don't know what might happen). I understand it's not as done among the Jewish population for religious reasons, but it's not unheard of.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-28-2020 at 06:00 PM.

I'm the only one who doesn't think this sounds evil? I mean, I haven't read it. But if Bette was given a low chance of survival by doctors, a parent having that discussion seems entirely reasonable to me. Actually, I'd call it compassionate - even while hurting over the likely death of your own loved one, you're talking about saving the lives of others. And I'd have expected Bette to be an organ donor, anyway (I'd expect most non-powered heroes to be - the powered ones don't know what might happen). I understand it's not as done among the Jewish population for religious reasons, but it's not unheard of.
    I'd say it was reasonable. Bette had her entire torso ripped open ("groin to sternum") and was comatose with no sign of recovery. IIRC a day or so before this scene she went into cardiac arrest, too.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

It's not because of the organ donation, it's because the only time one of them is shown to exist or have anything to do with her at all was when a medical decision was required before burying her. I mean, we didn't even see them visit her in hospital or seemingly care about her life at all.

And yes, it's likely due to practical reasons of not wanting to create additional characters in a comic that is mostly about Kate - but in-universe they sure aren't winning any parent-of-the-year awards.

Incredible Member

It's not because of the organ donation, it's because the only time one of them is shown to exist or have anything to do with her at all was when a medical decision was required before burying her. I mean, we didn't even see them visit her in hospital or seemingly care about her life at all.

And yes, it's likely due to practical reasons of not wanting to create additional characters in a comic that is mostly about Kate - but in-universe they sure aren't winning any parent-of-the-year awards.
    Organ donation makes sense but the fact that just her mom came when she was on death's door is shady. Also Jacob was mistaken for her father because he visited her so much. It just reeks of bad parenting