Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    If anyone should be called 'Gotham Girl', then it should be Bette.

Her original Bat-Girl costume is much better than any of Claire Clover's costumes.

I wouldn't mind if Bette had some powers either...to help differentiate her from the dozen other Gotham vigilantes.
    So my weird fanfic idea about that would be that after "Prisoners of 3 Worlds" Batman took the crew to Superman's Fortress of Solitude - Supes would verify and help cure any 'alien' traces to the gases they were exposed to in the classic Silver Age story. Kal told Robin and Bat-girl the legend of Nightwing and Flamebird at this time - they were in the Fortress, probably saw the city of Kandor, etc, etc.

But maybe part of the cure involved some Krytonian 'cocktail'... and later she received some minor power ups.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

If anyone should be called 'Gotham Girl', then it should be Bette.

Her original Bat-Girl costume is much better than any of Claire Clover's costumes.

I wouldn't mind if Bette had some powers either...to help differentiate her from the dozen other Gotham vigilantes.
    Ummm, I like Claire and Bette works better as Flamebird. I'm still annoyed that Claire became a villain.

I do like the idea of Bette having powers though
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Incredible Member

How about Bette having invisibility?
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    How about Bette having invisibility?
    Being invisible would certain explain how DC treats Bette.

Incredible Member

Being invisible would certain explain how DC treats Bette.
    yeah I picked it as a joke because of her shoddy treatment

Can't resist, hahahahahah, sadly.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Going with my idea that Superman tried to help her and this was 'very' early in Superman and Batman's friendship, maybe they used a Kandorian serum to clear up the effect of the gases from "Prisoners of 3 Worlds", but knowing the caveat was this was not a Kryptonian. But the gases seemed to be extraterrestial and so would have been the cure.

My conclusion, the serum may have given her some altered abilities, but only slightly. But combined with the other alien stuff in her system, who knows.

Again, only slight effects, since the whole world would have seen her become "the first Gotham Girl" or whatever.

So maybe she is slightly stronger, faster, etc than a normal person. Maybe there is a psychic thing, because her and Robin traveled in "their energy forms" to the planet.

Frankly I'd go with any story that puts her back where she belongs.

If she ended up having psychic powers of any sort; she should be the new Oracle, if they wanted to change her and do something right.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Going with my idea that Superman tried to help her and this was 'very' early in Superman and Batman's friendship, maybe they used a Kandorian serum to clear up the effect of the gases from "Prisoners of 3 Worlds", but knowing the caveat was this was not a Kryptonian. But the gases seemed to be extraterrestial and so would have been the cure.

My conclusion, the serum may have given her some altered abilities, but only slightly. But combined with the other alien stuff in her system, who knows.

Again, only slight effects, since the whole world would have seen her become "the first Gotham Girl" or whatever.

So maybe she is slightly stronger, faster, etc than a normal person. Maybe there is a psychic thing, because her and Robin traveled in "their energy forms" to the planet.

If she ended up having psychic powers of any sort; she should be the new Oracle, if they wanted to change her and do something right.
    Psychic powers are hard to do unless it's simple telekinesis and telepathy.

Astonishing Member

Psychic powers are hard to do unless it's simple telekinesis and telepathy.
    This sounds a bit like Hawk & Dove: slightly stronger, faster, senses.

Incredible Member

This sounds a bit like Hawk & Dove: slightly stronger, faster, senses.
    that'd be interesting. I'd have them be latent until recently so she can have a little arc about dealing with her powers

I just think there should be a reason for such powers or abilities, and "Prisoner of 3 Worlds" which was retconned by Morrison himself, holds that possibility especially when you take the earlier story about Superman and Lois also playing the roles of NW and FB, and Clark/Kal-el told Lois that he had also told Robin and Bat-girl about them. Just makes sense. When else would this happened and under what circumstances?

Also, he probably used 'super-hypnotism' to erase or hide some of Bette's memories of this time. "3 Prisoners" was the last Silver Age appearance of Bat-girl, I think.
    So she forgot all the crazy adventures, but the training/instincts were a part of a muscle memory.
    As she was removed from the "nasty" environment of Gotham, she got a little closer to her older cousin,

Kate, who was either on a leave or just discharged (I think the age difference of 7 or 8 years between them would line up with Betty's adventures in Gotham.

Maybe sub-consciously she realized that Kate was an adventurer like herself?

It gets a little wonky though. If Betty/e was trying to get back to the Titans as Bat-girl, possibly around the age of 16? that would put Kate at 23 was she just getting over her drunk state and working towards her training then?
    And would Kate have figured this was her cousin trying to be Bat-girl, and felt any particular thing about it? Did it inspire her or ?
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

I just think there should be a reason for such powers or abilities, and "Prisoner of 3 Worlds" which was retconned by Morrison himself, holds that possibility especially when you take the earlier story about Superman and Lois also playing the roles of NW and FB, and Clark/Kal-el told Lois that he had also told Robin and Bat-girl about them. Just makes sense. When else would this happened and under what circumstances?

Also, he probably used 'super-hypnotism' to erase or hide some of Bette's memories of this time. "3 Prisoners" was the last Silver Age appearance of Bat-girl, I think.
    So she forgot all the crazy adventures, but the training/instincts were a part of a muscle memory.
    As she was removed from the "nasty" environment of Gotham, she got a little closer to her older cousin,

Kate, who was either on a leave or just discharged (I think the age difference of 7 or 8 years between them would line up with Betty's adventures in Gotham.

Maybe sub-consciously she realized that Kate was an adventurer like herself?

It gets a little wonky though. If Betty/e was trying to get back to the Titans as Bat-girl, possibly around the age of 16? that would put Kate at 23 was she just getting over her drunk state and working towards her training then?
    And would Kate have figured this was her cousin trying to be Bat-girl, and felt any particular thing about it? Did it inspire her or ?
    I agree that Prisoner would make sense!

So I guess it is a given that the CW's Batwoman will not have Kate in the role/character, but someone new, this Ryan.

Rather disappointed.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

So I guess it is a given that the CW's Batwoman will not have Kate in the role/character, but someone new, this Ryan.

Rather disappointed.
    I think Kate's going to come back but recast (I want Wallis Day, she was amazing on Krypton). Still hoping for Bette to appear at some point (Mary ain't my Bette Kane)

I think Kate's going to come back but recast (I want Wallis Day, she was amazing on Krypton).
    Unless they bring her back physically disabled (so she can't suit-up), they can't do it without side-lining OC-Batwoman, and that'd just peeve off OC-Batwoman-fans.
    Of course, if they bring Kate back but without making her Batwoman, Kate fans get upset all over again. Same reason we're unlikely to see Bruce unless he's unable to be Batman.

It's a lose-lose. And making either of them a sidekick to the other provides the same result = demotion and insult to whichever former Batwoman. Only way I see Kate returning as Batwoman is if the OC gets given a new (non-sidekick) mantle, and a spin-off series of her own. I doubt that'd happen.

Looks like they've gone all-in with OC-Batwoman, she's even getting the Batmobile, which isn't something you see Bruce's family get normally (since they all have their own motorbikes instead).