Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

She is on the editorial equivalent of that one scene from way back where she is waiting for the phone call that never comes.

Feel badly about this. So many retro things can be reembraced and have with her, but only as a scene redone (Batman INC) or Elsey worlds, Whatever became of the Caped Crusader. Seems like classic creators don' want to forget her, but everyone else does.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Well as far as the CW show goes, this could be a ruse, semi ruse, before a recast Kate comes back to the show. I haven't a clue because I don't read very much in DC books or the articles and such. So my one and two best DC characters are both in limbo.
    Come to think of it, the show could be good news for Bette if they're doing synergy - Mary Hamilton's full name is apparently actually Mary Elizabeth Hamilton-Kane - she's Bette by another name. Knowing the Arrowverse shows and their habit of having other team members join the action, it's likely that both Luke and Mary will eventually end up suiting up as Batwing and Flamebird. Maybe both will see more prominence in the comics when that happens?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Come to think of it, the show could be good news for Bette if they're doing synergy - Mary Hamilton's full name is apparently actually Mary Elizabeth Hamilton-Kane - she's Bette by another name. Knowing the Arrowverse shows and their habit of having other team members join the action, it's likely that both Luke and Mary will eventually end up suiting up as Batwing and Flamebird. Maybe both will see more prominence in the comics when that happens?
    More or less that was my speculation in the first season. Because most of these shows end up being ensemble with plenty of 'capes'.

I wouldn't mind that. I made some comments about the actress having a Flamebird costume that includes a blonde wig, the way Kate's costume had the red wig.

If that happened, I would remain a viewer, despite not liking 'Batwoman' Kate, being replaced as it seems. Very ironic.

The only thing that would be more ironic:

If, for some reason, Luke and Mary become BW and FB, this would most likely cause a ripple and it would happen in the comics. Maybe the real FB would come back, because it would suit the TV version.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Maybe a Titans appearance in the future
    I really hope so, i miss her
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Mary's full name is just Mary Hamilton.
    More or less that was my speculation in the first season. Because most of these shows end up being ensemble with plenty of 'capes'.

I wouldn't mind that. I made some comments about the actress having a Flamebird costume that includes a blonde wig, the way Kate's costume had the red wig.

If that happened, I would remain a viewer, despite not liking 'Batwoman' Kate, being replaced as it seems. Very ironic.

The only thing that would be more ironic:

If, for some reason, Luke and Mary become BW and FB, this would most likely cause a ripple and it would happen in the comics. Maybe the real FB would come back, because it would suit the TV version.
    I want Bette back but I don't want Mary to overwrite her. Nor do I want Mary to become Flamebird.
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Mary's full name is just Mary Hamilton.

I want Bette back but I don't want Mary to overwrite her. Nor do I want Mary to become Flamebird.
    Well at this point, having waited so long, I'll take what I can get. I'm pretty sure I'll dump all this stuff in the next year if things keep going the way they have.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

i just am waiting for pure Bette, so fanfic is where I'm at.

by the way, here's the link to the bette discord server

What if it caused Bette to return to the comics, but with some of Mary's backstory, and race-swapped to match tv? Because I could sort of see that happening to clean-up Bette's confusing backstory, the step-sister route is an easy explanation. It'd require one of those timeline/universe reboot events though. Also, at what point does a rebooted character just become an entirely new character with the same name? That really depends on how it's done, I suppose.

The good news is so far no one has taken Bette's mantle, either as Flamebird or Hawkfire, and that's actually very reassuring IMO. If another character was already running around as Flamebird, that'd be a cause for concern for her fanbase.

Incredible Member

Small Betty appearance. In Last stories of the DC Universe, Betty gets a flashback cameo with 70's titans, in her Bat-Girl costume even.

On the other hand though, I didn't see her in her Flamebird costume in the big Titans meeting in the present, so that's a bit of a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    What if it caused Bette to return to the comics, but with some of Mary's backstory, and race-swapped to match tv? Because I could sort of see that happening to clean-up Bette's confusing backstory, the step-sister route is an easy explanation. It'd require one of those timeline/universe reboot events though. Also, at what point does a rebooted character just become an entirely new character with the same name? That really depends on how it's done, I suppose.

The good news is so far no one has taken Bette's mantle, either as Flamebird or Hawkfire, and that's actually very reassuring IMO. If another character was already running around as Flamebird, that'd be a cause for concern for her fanbase.
    Part of the reason I drifted away from DC in the mid '80s, after COIE was for this reason, reboots that changed things too much, for my liking. Marvel reboots are not like this overall.

The idea, essence or concept for the 'Bette' type was already CW-ized and would cause drastic changes to comic canon. They would make bad choices in the comic adopting this.

It would be more likely that they would change Kate's step-mom first, slowly introduce the idea that she is part/Asian and then bring this "Mary" out of hiding.

The step sister Kate never knew she had. It is like my own ideas about soap-operetic themes between comics or tv.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemisfanboy View Post
    small betty appearance. In last stories of the dc universe, betty gets a flashback cameo with 70's titans, in her bat-girl costume even.

On the other hand though, i didn't see her in her flamebird costume in the big titans meeting in the present, so that's a bit of a bummer.
    i will take this crumb!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post

I don't Bette to be changed to be like Mary. Bette's perfect as is. No need to change her

i will take this crumb!
    I will too!
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

I will too!
    Bette Fans live on crumbs

Extraordinary Member

At least with today’s Death Metal issue, Bette’s considered a part of Titans West history again. Even in her original Bat-Girl suit.