Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Good points these last two comments and love the panel, I've seen it before but probably the story it was from.

I guess to me, we'd look more at the ages relative to Kate's age; seems Bette is somewhere between 5 and 8 years to me, at least.

Is Kate, 'sorta 30' ? Then Bette is between 25 and 22. And so on.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Good points these last two comments and love the panel, I've seen it before but probably the story it was from.

I guess to me, we'd look more at the ages relative to Kate's age; seems Bette is somewhere between 5 and 8 years to me, at least.

Is Kate, 'sorta 30'? Then Bette is between 25 and 22. And so on.
    In Rebirth Kate debuted as Batwoman at 27, that was 2 years ago according to the flashback in Detective Comics, so 29 by the time of Gotham Knights team era

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    In Rebirth Kate debuted as Batwoman at 27, that was 2 years ago according to the flashback in Detective Comics, so 29 by the time of Gotham Knights team era
    I think Kate is a few years younger than Bruce so she's mid thirties to me. Bette is mid twenties.

Almost. The "two years ago" and "age 27" bits are independent of each other. "Age 27" is supposed to refer to how old she was at the current point in time, which in real life was 2017. It's a de-aging, but one that's supported elsewhere.

We know that Kate resigned from West Point in August, and that DADT was repealed in September 2011. So she couldn't have resigned in August 2011, because she would just have re-enrolled, or at least not let her life get into a state where that wouldn't be an option anymore. She was 20 when she resigned, so at least as of right now, she resigned in August 2010 and was born in 1990. So 27 at the start of Rebirth. Again, a de-aging, but that's how it is.

All that is to say that Bette's age can be figured the same way. We know that in Rebirth she's apparently in her second year at West Point, and a bit of research shows that cadets cannot be older than 23 in their first year. So in Rebirth, Bette is at most 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I think Kate is a few years younger than Bruce so she's mid thirties to me.
    Yep. By now she should be at least 35. If we were to go by the pre-Flashpoint timeline, she'd be 38.
    Last edited by Caivu; 09-25-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I think Kate is a few years younger than Bruce so she's mid thirties to me. Bette is mid twenties.
    Yeah, I think that was written with New 52 ages in mind so Bruce was 34 at most.

Yeah, last I heard as well Kate is supposed to be 27, which would make Bette have to be in her early 20s. Even on the one season we got of her on TV she was supposed to be 27 to start with.

The age gap between Kate and Bruce is confusing though. In those Tynion Tec flashbacks they're only about 1 or 2 years apart. But if Bruce is supposed to be around 34 and Kate 27 in the current timeline - shouldn't Kate have been a baby in the Wayne Funeral flashback?
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 09-25-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Almost. The "two years ago" and "age 27" bits are independent of each other. "Age 27" is supposed to refer to how old she was at the current point in time, which in real life was 2017. It's a de-aging, but one that's supported elsewhere.

We know that Kate resigned from West Point in August, and that DADT was repealed in September 2011. So she couldn't have resigned in August 2011, because she would just have re-enrolled, or at least not let her life get into a state where that wouldn't be an option anymore. She was 20 when she resigned, so at least as of right now, she resigned in August 2010 and was born in 1990. So 27 at the start of Rebirth. Again, a de-aging, but that's how it is.

All that is to say that Bette's age can be figured the same way. We know that in Rebirth she's apparently in her second year at West Point, and a bit of research shows that cadets cannot be older than 23 in their first year. So in Rebirth, Bette is at most 24.

Yep. By now she should be at least 35. If we were to go by the pre-Flashpoint timeline, she'd be 38.
    Ooh okay I didn't consider DADT

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Yeah, last I heard as well Kate is supposed to be 27, which would make Bette have to be in her early 20s. Even on the one season we got of her on TV she was supposed to be 27 to start with.

The age gap between Kate and Bruce is confusing though. In those Tynion Tec flashbacks they're only about 1 or 2 years apart. But if Bruce is supposed to be around 34 and Kate 27 in the current timeline - shouldn't Kate have been a baby in the Wayne Funeral flashback?
    Writers can't do math trope is proven yet again ^^

Writers can't do math trope is proven yet again ^^
    Now re-imagine this scene with a one-year-old Kate cooing on Bruce's lap.

Now what were we discussing...Oh, right I don't think Bette should be any older than 23 at the most. Also, now that they put her at West Point, did she ever graduate from the other course she was doing?

Incredible Member

I was bringing up the ages in regards to them restoring the pre-flashpoint timeline(or large parts there of) and the characters to their pre-flashpoint ages. But as pointed out it seems the characters are being reverted back to what they would be pre flashpoint. My case in point being Barbara Gordon was 21 in Burnside, the most recent issue of her book indicated she's in the 28-35 range. That indicates at least seven years to fourteen years being added back on the timeline. I tend to define Bette's age in relation to Dick with them being about the same age. So while Bette was eligible to attend with the new 52 ages, she may not if the Pre-Flashpoint ages have been restored.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I was bringing up the ages in regards to them restoring the pre-flashpoint timeline(or large parts there of) and the characters to their pre-flashpoint ages. But as pointed out it seems the characters are being reverted back to what they would be pre flashpoint. My case in point being Barbara Gordon was 21 in Burnside, the most recent issue of her book indicated she's in the 28-35 range. That indicates at least seven years to fourteen years being added back on the timeline. I tend to define Bette's age in relation to Dick with them being about the same age. So while Bette was eligible to attend with the new 52 ages, she may not if the Pre-Flashpoint ages have been restored.
    I read the last issue of Batgirl, but I don't notice that. What part makes you think Barbara is in the 28-35 range?

I don't think he ages are really restored to Pre-Flashpoint. Actually, the age is what the current writers want.

The most likely is that Dick and Barbara will mantain similar ages now. The writers seem to prefer that when they write that relationship.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I read the last issue of Batgirl, but I don't notice that. What part makes you think Barbara is in the 28-35 range?

I don't think he ages are really restored to Pre-Flashpoint. Actually, the age is what the current writers want.

The most likely is that Dick and Barbara will mantain similar ages now. The writers seem to prefer that when they write that relationship.
    When investigating Barbara noticed all the murders victims were redheads in the age range 28-35 and the murderer was targeting people similar to her. The implication being she's in that age range as well.

Age being whatever the writers feel like seems a bit wishy washy and makes it almost impossible to come up with any kind of timeline. You at least need some kind of rough ballpark. In any case we're not operating on the New 52's condensed timeline anymore.

Yes, in general since post-crisis Dick and Babs have been in the same age range. Which would also have effect on the other members of Dick's generation, Which Bette is part of since she's also suppose to be around Dick's age. Unless they're restoring Barbara and Dick's pre-crisis age gap where she was 25 and he was 18-19. Which they probably won't. I don't want Bette to be made significantly younger than Dick or to have her Titans membership retconned out just to keep her at West Point, but I don't think they're planning that(or anything with Bette in mind unfortunately).

It's really not a big deal though. And there are plenty of ways to get her out West Point/Limbo, whether they want to retcon it out or come up with an reason.

I love this, figuring it kind of stuff. Then I think of the old Elton John song; Comic book characters never grow old

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

Technically Barbara is the biggest loser of the "what the heck age, are they?" meme.

Originally, mid '60s her TV and comic persona was obviously mid 20s are more. Librarian is a Masters Degree qualification for almost every public library (Arizonia is one of the few outliers). So even if she is smart, I'd still say she was 25 or so

to Dick's obvious still a teen, even nearly pre-teen (more in the comic, less on the TV show of the '60s.

But by somewhere in the '70s, they'd sort of synched. Dick was only a couple, 2 years younger, or there about.

I dropped DC for many years, but I don't believe that Dick ended up becoming her age or slightly older until the New 52, right?

Incredible Member

When investigating Barbara noticed all the murders victims were redheads in the age range 28-35 and the murderer was targeting people similar to her. The implication being she's in that age range as well.

Age being whatever the writers feel like seems a bit wishy washy and makes it almost impossible to come up with any kind of timeline. You at least need some kind of rough ballpark. In any case we're not operating on the New 52's condensed timeline anymore.

Yes, in general since post-crisis Dick and Babs have been in the same age range. Which would also have effect on the other members of Dick's generation, Which Bette is part of since she's also suppose to be around Dick's age. Unless they're restoring Barbara and Dick's pre-crisis age gap where she was 25 and he was 18-19. Which they probably won't. I don't want Bette to be made significantly younger than Dick or to have her Titans membership retconned out just to keep her at West Point, but I don't think they're planning that(or anything with Bette in mind unfortunately).

It's really not a big deal though. And there are plenty of ways to get her out West Point/Limbo, whether they want to retcon it out or come up with an reason.
    In my head Bette is at most 2 years younger than Dick. Nobody cares about the West Point stuff, militrary Bette does not work. I wish they'd restore her going to UCLA to become a doctor

That would be really weird, if Babs was supposed to be in the 28-35 age range whilst Kate is supposed to be around 27, Batgirl being older than Batwoman just seems odd.