Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    How did Aquaman look in the 1940"s? I don't think I ever saw the Earth-2 Aquaman.
    The look was basically the iconic costume, but the gloves were gold. I'm not sure when the change got made.

Image.jpg

As far as Earth-2 goes, I don't know if Aquaman was ever part of anyone's continuity until the first JL story in The Brave And The Bold #28. AFAIK, Aquaman's only appearance as an E2 character came near the end of Thomas' All-Star Squadron...

Image.jpg
    ...then he was promptly wiped from continuity. There is a sound argument for the two being distinct characters because Aquaman's origin was passively retconned somewhere along the way. His original origin had him as the subject of his father's experiment. That got overwritten when Aquaman first encountered Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The look was basically the iconic costume, but the gloves were gold. I'm not sure when the change got made.

Image.jpg

As far as Earth-2 goes, I don't know if Aquaman was ever part of anyone's continuity until the first JL story in The Brave And The Bold #28. AFAIK, Aquaman's only appearance as an E2 character came near the end of Thomas' All-Star Squadron...

Image.jpg
    ...then he was promptly wiped from continuity. There is a sound argument for the two being distinct characters because Aquaman's origin was passively retconned somewhere along the way. His original origin had him as the subject of his father's experiment. That got overwritten when Aquaman first encountered Atlantis.
    Thanks.

But I thought there were 1940 stories of Aquaman. There is not?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks.

But I thought there were 1940 stories of Aquaman. There is not?
    Oh yes, there absolutely were. What I meant was that we were never shown him in anything like The Justice Society, or The Seven Soldiers of Victory, and AFAIK he never crossover with any other title characters before the end of the Golden Age. Once the Golden Age characters were brought back in the JL/JS crossovers, E2 Aquaman didn't appear, so there was nothing canonical indicating there was an E2 Aquaman until the aftermath of Crisis.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    God what an awful suit!
    He looks like an exotic dancer.
    IT'S A HORSESHOE MAGNET!!!

And I happen to love that costume. It's the future, get with it, you stiffs.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Oh yes, there absolutely were. What I meant was that we were never shown him in anything like The Justice Society, or The Seven Soldiers of Victory, and AFAIK he never crossover with any other title characters before the end of the Golden Age. Once the Golden Age characters were brought back in the JL/JS crossovers, E2 Aquaman didn't appear, so there was nothing canonical indicating there was an E2 Aquaman until the aftermath of Crisis.
    Ah, got it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    IT'S A HORSESHOE MAGNET!!!

And I happen to love that costume. It's the future, get with it, you stiffs.
    And....it does cover all of his naughty-boy-bits, even if only, lol.

Aquaman's original look is probably the most iconic. Partially thanks to The Superfriends, it's the one the widest array of people are familiar with, and it's the one that illustrators continually return to.

Attachment 98537

All of the deviations from it have been less iconic, but least iconic among them is hard to determine. I'm torn between his short-lived late 1980s suit...

Attachment 98538

...and this piece of sterotypical 1990sness...

Attachment 98539

I can kind of get the blue outfit, as it's intended to be marine camouflage, so it makes a bit of sense. Still, the colors are so far away from his original, it's hard to accept and easy to see why it didn't stick. The extreme Aquaman look...well, if you don't have anything nice to say...
    The blue outfit was def. a little jarring, but worked as a special mission suit.

The 90s look? Didnt really like it.
    When he first grew out his hair/beard and lost his hand and was running around like this...

...i was more into it. it was still the outfit i grew up w. just...grungier!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    How does that evens stay up?
    Magnets!!!!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’d call the outfits you cited classic, not iconic as to what I was asking, as those outfits have been changed dozens of times and no one's really cared enough to start a riot.
    What I call iconic is if a slightly knowledgeable person can spot them in a crowd and there's the tendency to show them in it. Everyone that knows the X-Men can see those suits in a crowd and know who the character is.

Riots are irrelevant.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Irrelevant to you, not to me. This being my thread, I’ll interpret as I said in the OP.

Aquaman's original look is probably the most iconic. Partially thanks to The Superfriends, it's the one the widest array of people are familiar with, and it's the one that illustrators continually return to.

Attachment 98537

All of the deviations from it have been less iconic, but least iconic among them is hard to determine. I'm torn between his short-lived late 1980s suit...

Attachment 98538

...and this piece of sterotypical 1990sness...

Attachment 98539

I can kind of get the blue outfit, as it's intended to be marine camouflage, so it makes a bit of sense. Still, the colors are so far away from his original, it's hard to accept and easy to see why it didn't stick. The extreme Aquaman look...well, if you don't have anything nice to say...
    In agreement with you about the marine-camouflage outfit. I thought it worked when they gave a variation of it to the animated version of...

Aqualad

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-09-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]In agreement with you about the marine-camouflage outfit. I thought it worked when they gave a variation of it to the animated version of...Aqualad
    Agh! I forgot about that. Great catch!

It blends in really well, too...

...you can barely see him in some stills from Teen Titans Go!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    In agreement with you about the marine-camouflage outfit. I thought it worked when they gave a variation of it to the animated version of...

Aqualad

Yup. That would have been an especially good way to give Aqualad some distinction from Aquaman.

Yup. That would have been an especially good way to give Aqualad some distinction from Aquaman.
    I always felt his Tempest outfit was meant to invoke Aquaman’s camo outfit.

Others have mentioned the X-Men, but I think probably the biggest example of a well-known superhero without a particularly iconic look is probably Kitty Pryde. Probably her most well-known look, at least the one any casual fan is most likely to recognize her in, is the black and yellow bodysuit thing, which is really just an evolved version of what was the original New Mutants outfits, which was later altered to become a generic X-Men uniform ... which is of course kind of iconic itself, as fans can instantly recognize variations of it as an X-Men suit, but that's different from being iconic for just Kitty, herself.

She's had various other costumes, and I myself have always been pretty fond of the light blue, masked look she had back in the 80s, around when Excalibur first began. But that only stuck such that the blue color is mixed in sometimes, like how the X-Men Evolution version replaced the yellow in the X-Men standard outfit with blue, to make it Kitty's unique look.

For such a well-known comic book superhero character, Kitty is really kind of funny, for how little of her look is really unique or iconic specifically for her. I think we generally recognize her because she'll be the one brunette in the generic X-Men outfit, mixed in with all the other characters with more instantly recognizable characteristics.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Others have mentioned the X-Men, but I think probably the biggest example of a well-known superhero without a particularly iconic look is probably Kitty Pryde. Probably her most well-known look, at least the one any casual fan is most likely to recognize her in, is the black and yellow bodysuit thing, which is really just an evolved version of what was the original New Mutants outfits, which was later altered to become a generic X-Men uniform ... which is of course kind of iconic itself, as fans can instantly recognize variations of it as an X-Men suit, but that's different from being iconic for just Kitty, herself.

She's had various other costumes, and I myself have always been pretty fond of the light blue, masked look she had back in the 80s, around when Excalibur first began. But that only stuck such that the blue color is mixed in sometimes, like how the X-Men Evolution version replaced the yellow in the X-Men standard outfit with blue, to make it Kitty's unique look.

For such a well-known comic book superhero character, Kitty is really kind of funny, for how little of her look is really unique or iconic specifically for her. I think we generally recognize her because she'll be the one brunette in the generic X-Men outfit, mixed in with all the other characters with more instantly recognizable characteristics.
    That’s a really great observation on Kitty!
    When I think of her, the Excalibur costume, and some variation on the black & yellow come to mind.