Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Is the Lizard a broken character?

I saw this video and thought it was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68XELY87SY

I like the Lizard as a villain, but the video has a point, the Lizard has kinda been repeating the same story over and over again and every time someone tries to change him to give him a new story, it gets reversed. What should be done with Lizard at this point?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I saw this video and thought it was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68XELY87SY

I like the Lizard as a villain, but the video has a point, the Lizard has kinda been repeating the same story over and over again and every time someone tries to change him to give him a new story, it gets reversed. What should be done with Lizard at this point?
    I know I am probably going to be one of the few (or maybe even the only one) who says this but for as long as I have been reading Spider-Man comics, I find reading any Lizard story to be a chore. I actually really dislike the character because it always seems so repetitive. To add further, I strongly dislike Electro as well for the same reasons.

Extraordinary Member

Komodo from Avengers Initiative already proved the Lizard concept, as he currently is, was played out over a decade ago.

I like him.

Extraordinary Member

I like the Lizard because he's one of the classic Spidey villains and he stands out amongst a lot of dudes who are just evil or douchey by being a man cursed to share a body with a monster. It's just a cool simple concept.

But it is true that a lot of Lizard stories play out largely the same way. And because it is such a cool and simple concept, most of us have seen it done better in other stories. I mean, we do have Hulk after all.

I think he's gotten more interesting over the last decade or so. Everything since Shed has been more than just the old stories retold.

When I started reading in the 90s, he was almost a no-show! Instead we had the mindless finned Lizard, which looked cool but didn't have much else going for it.

-Pav, who recalls the Scarlet Spider annuals with Lizard and Strongarm Armstrong...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I like the Lizard because he's one of the classic Spidey villains and he stands out amongst a lot of dudes who are just evil or douchey by being a man cursed to share a body with a monster. It's just a cool simple concept.

But it is true that a lot of Lizard stories play out largely the same way. And because it is such a cool and simple concept, most of us have seen it done better in other stories. I mean, we do have Hulk after all.
    I really like Lizard. If you go through Spider-Man’s rogues gallery. Most are absolute douche bags. Carnage, Norm, Otto, Mysterio, Vulture, Kingpin, Electro, Moulin, Mr. Sinister., Kraven and Jackal to name a few, some are not quite so bad: Sandman, Morbius, Rhino and Shocker fall into that class. But not counting Felicia and Boomerang Lizard is the most sympathetic of all, and for that reason you cannot despise him in the way you can Carnage or Norm. I thought the Spencer lizard story with Pete and MJ was one of the best lizard stories ever, and added a twist to Connors and his family. I never tire of him like I do say Chameleon and especially Jackal ( who I really hate). Do you want boring and predictable? Try Jackal he always makes me think of Clone Saga.